Goodhousekeeper

Old 03-09-2015, 11:01 AM

Default Goodhousekeeper

I'm working on a Goodhousekeeper that someone dropped off for me before Christmas. It's coming along but need some wiring re-done, the foot control replaced and more cleaning. I don't fully understand it's operation. The top has a buttonhole dial and I think the rest has to be on the red M for that to work. You must twist the stitch width knob in order to turn the pattern dial.

The part I am having trouble with is the stitch width. I can't seem to get it to hold well. I am guessing the knobs to either side of it are stoppers but I am not sure exactly how they operate. They each have a plate on the inside so they tighten and loosen and there seems to be a bar under them but I can't see it well.

Maybe someone here has a similar machine?
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0100-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 03-09-2015, 11:33 AM

Christy,

You are correct about the little knobs being locks to hold the stitch width where you want it. Turn the knob to where you want the stitch, then turn each little knob till it holds the big knob. I've had a couple like that. If the stitch width is set anywhere but 0 or 5 you have to set both little knobs.

The colors on the needle position lever, pattern selector knob, pattern chart and the knob on top are color coded as you thought. To make the patterns, match the colors on the controls.

Joe
Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Christy,

You are correct about the little knobs being locks to hold the stitch width where you want it. Turn the knob to where you want the stitch, then turn each little knob till it holds the big knob. I've had a couple like that. If the stitch width is set anywhere but 0 or 5 you have to set both little knobs.

The colors on the needle position lever, pattern selector knob, pattern chart and the knob on top are color coded as you thought. To make the patterns, match the colors on the controls.

Joe
OK I am going to go monkey with it some more. Last night it was only holding a bit to the widest width and then springing back. Something is not yet functioning correctly. Thank you.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Christy - you are good so far.

The cool thing about that kind of zz knob is you can make your own stitch width as you go - you can taper or widen. You can rock it back and forth and get a design if you have good rhythm. It's a toy...
Old 03-09-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Christy - you are good so far.

The cool thing about that kind of zz knob is you can make your own stitch width as you go - you can taper or widen. You can rock it back and forth and get a design if you have good rhythm. It's a toy...
Toy? Funny, it looks more like a radio!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:10 AM

Another benefit to non-computerized machines. I think my modern Janome boasts something like 70 needle positions. Yeah, well, some of my funky old machines have essentially infinite needle positions, so NYAH! (I'm in a childish mood this morning, apparently.)

This is a pretty cool lookin' machine; it does look like a radio. Or maybe part of a panel from inside a cockpit.