Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Grandmas old singer--How old and what's it worth? >

Grandmas old singer--How old and what's it worth?

Grandmas old singer--How old and what's it worth?

Old 07-31-2010, 02:03 PM

My grandma is 89 yrs old and would like to know what her old singer is worth. A repair man told her never to sell it because it is worth alot of money so now she thinks she has a national treasure. I told her it probably wasn't worth more than $200-300. I took pictures but they didn't come out in focus so I jotted down what the plates say. The one on the front the # is AK349173. On the plate on the motor it says cat no BAJ3-8
Serial#6847391
Made in Canada
Patented 1949 and a few things about amps. She has all the parts and the manual though it is falling apart. It is in pristine shape as far as the paint goes. She had it tuned up a few years back and probably hasn't used it since. I believe she has forgotten how.

I couldn't get this to focus so it is likely useless but some of what it says is above.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24472[/ATTACH]

The machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26062[/ATTACH]

The blonde cabinet with stool. That stupid ugly blonde furniture is built to last.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26218[/ATTACH]

This reads easily it just cannot be seen well because of the flash. Grandma's house is dark as the inside of your hat.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26365[/ATTACH]

the decals, that is just dust from opening the cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26370[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-24472.jpe   attachment-26062.jpe   attachment-26218.jpe   attachment-26365.jpe   attachment-26370.jpe  

Old 07-31-2010, 02:31 PM

LOL!!

i am so amazed at all of this! :lol: they are suddenly coming out of the woodwork like mice. :roll: .

i love the table and stool. and i like the blonde wood. i'm tired of dark wood. not to mention that it shows dust. mine has no place to sit and i have to roll a chair over. this at least looks like a piece of furniture.

i have no idea what it is, what it's worth or anything else about it. maybe billy does. it's very nice. have you tried using it? it probably sews like a dream.
i do see that it has the Back Tack feature that mine has. i don't know if that's special or not. and i can't tell what size it is. you should pm lostin51.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM

I see these for sale on Craigs List. Don't know any more because I am not in need of any more machines. I DO like the blonde cabinet!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Banned

Here I am!!! Gramdma does not own the National Treasure but she has a really well cared for Singer 66 with 35,000 of them allotted on April 26 1951. Now what makes this a special machine in my book is the position it came off of the line. It was only 377 machines from the last one in that was allotted for that run!!

As far as the value I think you hit the nail on the head $250 would be reasonable for the excellent cosmetic condition it is in and the fact that I like the Blond cabinet. BFW and I both agree on the wood stain and I wish that most of the cabinets were the blond finish.

Tell her that she has a VERY nice machine and she should be very proud of the condition that she maintained it in.

Billy
Old 07-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Power Poster

Having the matching stool with the cabinet helps the price, as does the excellent cosmetic condition of the machine decals, cabinet and stool. Altogether as a set, it might sell for around $300 to a collector. Prices can vary a lot depending on where you live. In this economy, it tends to be harder to sell collectible machines for what they are worth.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I just know it's a beautiful well maintained machine.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:40 PM

I went to an estate sale yesterday and saw an old singer in a cabinet like this one with the seat and asked how much. The lady said it was her grandmother's sewing maachine and had been put in this cabinet in the l950's but the machine was much older. She said it still worked. I was afraid to ask how much. The sale was to end in l0 minutes and they were asking people to leave. The lady ask if I was willing to pay $l5.00 and take it then. Of course I was. I didn't get a chance to try it out. I got home and check it out and everything worked except the bobbin rewind. The rubber had dry-rotted but that will be easy to replace. I checked the serial number and it was made in Elisabeth, New Jersey, l0,000 were made in l946. I have been looking for one made in l947, the year I was born but this is close enough, especially for the price. The stitches are perfect and it runs so quiet that I want to use it for quilting so I can watch tv and not have to have the tv blasting. I can't believe my find. The lady said her grandfather bought this for her grandmother as a birthday gift so it was a one owner machine.

The ones I have been looking at have been well over $200.00 and have had missing pieces and shown a lot of wear and tear on them.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:45 PM

How wonderful, doglover! What a wonderful find!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:14 PM

Good for you.............enjoy using it.