Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Grounding Vintage Sewing Machines >

Grounding Vintage Sewing Machines

Grounding Vintage Sewing Machines

Old 06-07-2014, 03:29 AM

All post are very interesting, thanks.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:55 AM

<Redacted>

Good Lord, I wasted 10 minutes on this rant ................. I should be ashamed of myself.

Strangely I'm not. I've just got a screaming headache from a jammed up neck disk. Not enough pain meds.

<Redacted>

I really would like to post what I typed above but I dare not. Lets just say I do not agree with the original <censored> .... oh 'er poster on this subject one bit.

Joe
Old 06-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

James maybe you need to stick with a hand crank or a treadle - put a needle guard on it so you don't get your finger vaccinated.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:17 AM

I think maybe that grounding (or 'earthing' as they call it in the UK) is much more common overseas. I think that for people on the NA continent, it is not as much on the radar. I recall a discussion on a Bernina geek site, I think, which had to do with earthing the machines. I cannot recall, but I think those folks were in Switzerland, or France.

Last edited by Cecilia S.; 06-07-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbeat View Post
Absolutely agree.
I'm actually from England (moved to the States about five years ago) and the rules are a lot more stringent there, probably because mains voltage is 230-240v.
I believe that thrift stores in the UK have to have electrical devices tested before they can be sold, and they tend not to bother. I don't think a metal-cased sewing machine would pass.

It's all about condition of the insulation, and I'm not for a moment trying to start people panicking.
Your machine is safe as long as you know to regularly check the insulation.

I feel that I will sleep better at night if I ground my machine, so I'm going to do it. I live in an apartment, and my machines are in their cabinets in the living room. I can't secure my machines from my daughter. I remove the needle after every use, and fold the machine into its cabinet when I'm not using it.
As an added level of safety, I'm going to ground it too.

I'll post pictures of my modification so that people can copy it if they are so inclined.
Why not just unplug it?
Old 06-07-2014, 05:44 AM

wow - interesting discussion
Old 06-07-2014, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbeat View Post
I can't secure my machines from my daughter. I remove the needle after every use, and fold the machine into its cabinet when I'm not using it.
As an added level of safety, I'm going to ground it too.
Seems close to extreme James. Is your daughter hell bent on hurting or killing herself? Even when my girl was younger I never thought she'd get into that much trouble, and we lived in a unit too.
Has it occurred to you that she might pull a 201 on top of her and brain herself? If so, the problem may not be with her
Old 06-07-2014, 06:31 AM

I've only come upon ONE foot controller that was grounded...I don't know, maybe he was trying to ground the thing but the wiring was such a mess above the foot that there was a better chance of getting shocked by the taped up mess of wires than the foot controller.

I have a 3 year old grandson who is here almost every day. I try to keep scissors up and machines off but don't worry too heavily. He is warned meemaw has lots of sewin' machines and they have sharp stuff that could hurt you, so don't touch ok? He's ok with that. I don't have fears he will electrocute himself. There are plenty of other ways to get hurt around here if he were to put his mind to it. Kids can always get into something if they are so inclined.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:36 AM

Interesting discussion... 3 year olds and electricity! "Some" 3 year olds are just more curious than others, while most leave things alone, others just want to know how thing tick. Always a good idea to know your 3 year. Hope she grows up to be a quilter!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:39 AM

I know what all of you mean with watching kids around sewing machines. During the 70s (I think) my 8 or 9 year old son put his foot on my Elna foot control and ran it until it wouldn't. Imagine that with a threaded Elna--ruined the timing and did something to the bobbin thingy to the tun of $45 back then. He mowed yards to pay for that little trick, and won't touch one of my sewing machines to this day.....

And I still leave mine plugged in and ready to go unless we are looking for a nasty storm here in TN. Oh yes, Iforgot to mention that I recently watched my 10 year old GGD do the same thing to a Singer when I was there visiting in March. I stopped her in time to prevent any damage and she got one good lecture, for what good that will do.....