Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Guidance Needed |  ...my Singer vintage electric Sewing Machine >

Guidance Needed | ...my Singer vintage electric Sewing Machine

Guidance Needed | ...my Singer vintage electric Sewing Machine

Old 09-24-2018, 05:23 PM

Default Guidance Needed | ...my Singer vintage electric Sewing Machine

Hi BQ members! I am in need of your guidance...

I'm new to this forum. In fact, I joined so I can start to learn about my Singer machine that I've been storing away for many years. It's time to start sewing!

I've posted up some pics here of my Singer. It's really a beautiful machine and it works very well. Super quiet and smooth...

Can someone confirm some of the following for me?
--Model Number? Manual (see pic) says 15-91
--Approx. age/year built?

I don't know if this is a good beginner machine for my lady, or if I should be giving her a different machine to use?

Thank you in advance for your help in advance,

Warm regards,

-Adam

Old 09-26-2018, 05:07 AM

Hi
Congratulations on joining. I am a new member too.

The machine in the photographs is a 15-91 so congratulations you have a very good sewing machine and you have the original instructions for using it.

Using online resources I would suggest that your machine was built in 1935. Bear in mind that however good your machine was or is she is now over 80 years old. That shouldn't mean too much to the cast iron and polished steel parts but the rubber insulation on the wiring is likely to have suffered from age and may make the machine unsafe to use. Please have the wiring, motor, light and controller checked for safety before you start using this machine and do follow the cleaning, oiling and greasing instructions.

Safety checked, clean and lubricated the 15-91 is a very good quality machine which will last a lifetime. It doesn't do anything complicated so is perfect for a beginner. It really depends what sort of sewing the new owner wants to do but for patchwork, straight line and free motion quilting, home decor and basic garment construction it should be perfect.

Hope the is helps. There is a ton of information on the internet that can help you get this very fine machine working well and above all safely.

Happy sewing
G
Old 09-26-2018, 05:55 PM

That’s a fine machine to learn on, it is a straight stitch machine that is powerful enough for most home projects. I use a similar one more than any other machine in my collection.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:54 PM
KLO

It's also a great machine for free motion quilting if your lady wants to do that. There is a "button" under the machine that will stop the movement on the feed dogs. There should be a picture/description of it in the manual. I believe I see it in that first photo. You made a great choice!
Old 10-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Banned

It's not a button that stops the movement it's a screw that drops the feed dogs.

Cari
Old 10-01-2018, 04:21 PM

It's an ideal machine for a beginner, people keep this type of machine as they go more advanced with years of experience. It's a simple machine, very capable and easy to manage. It's alreayd mentioned, but; since it's a straight stitch only machine that's its' main job, as well as free motion work. Buttonholer attachments work very well with this model. You can always add a zigzag freearm machine to keep along side it later on. It looks like your machine has been rewired at some point, I would expect cloth covered wire in the 1930s, but both was available then I think. The plug and pedal wire is a new replacement, as well as the pedal.

The machine is in very good condition, hardly any wear to the finish at all. I wonder about the plastic case, this model came in a bent wood case, or a wooden base in a suit case; or a cabinet. For some reason they replaced it with this base.

You should supply it with a bottle of Triflow or Finish Line Ceramic Wet Lube, both brands work well with sewing machines and have added teflon ;- )