Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hand crank machine questions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Here are most of my handcranks in one picture.. (Oh, and I completely forgot about the Little Worker....)
    Attachment 525938
    Thank you for sharing the pics. I'm sure this is a stupid question, but do all of them sew? I would imagine they do..
    And do you have a favorite as far as the sewing goes?
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sophiebernina View Post
    I took the motor off on an aluminium 201 and added a hand crank. It's much lighter than my heavy 201 and I find it fairly easy to carry. I would say this could be used as a 'portable' machine.
    I would too. The aluminium 201K is lighter than a cast iron 99K
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885), 132K6 (1937), 44K11 (1921), 201K2, 201K23, 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15-91, Bernina 530, Pfaff:362 http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    I like that one in the top right Steve. Bet it sounds great too
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885), 132K6 (1937), 44K11 (1921), 201K2, 201K23, 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15-91, Bernina 530, Pfaff:362 http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
    ....but do all of them sew? ... And do you have a favorite as far as the sewing goes?

Yes they do, All of the machines in my collection sew (or else!) my favorite is the one in the upper left. The Jones Serpentine. I do a LOT of sewing on that one.

Blog Entries
    I have a Singer 201K hand crank and love it. It is heavy, but worth it. I also have a 201K aluminum hand crank. I take that one to retreats, because it is a little lighter. I bought a black case for it on ebay. I put it on a wheeled luggage carrier, and I'm good to go. I wouldn't give up my 201 hand cranks for anything.
    Barb

Post 1900 handcrank

I picked up a hand crank from a 1900 unit. It came from England and had the balance wheel included. I paid $105 w/shipping included and was glad to add it to the collection. I also purchased the Chinese knockoff for a machine I sold for use in the field during re-enactments. The quality difference is amazing, yet the knockoff worked for the intendented application. I think the OEM unit makes 4 stitches per revolution. That way, for the purist, one will know how many stitches a given project takes

Soman2

The other Rodney

Banned
    usually 3 per rotation. Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    CD - I may make a trip to OK just to see them all - wondering what it would be like to drive from your place to Atlanta GA. DH and I are planning a trip south this fall to see Kids and FIL - and maybe we could make a detour. Been the other way so many times, it might be worth the added miles just to see some different scenery.

Now I'll wait until DH reads this and see what he says LOL!!
    Cathy - if you make it to Atlanta let me know! We are moving here (here now doing things on house). Plan to be here permanently in a few months. We will have a guest room. And my machines are already here at the son's house. I know you don't know me well but I think I am as normal as any vintage sewing machine collector!!
    Alyce

Haid and neu help

I have acquired a haid and neu crank made in 1943. I am not sure the placement of the spring on the top tension knob is correct. I wondered if you are able to guide me?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have rarely ( never?) seen a
    haid and neu on this board. But it you give us a closer view of the tension assembly we may be able to help.
    My greatest fear is all of my family standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" he was.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2