HD Sewing question

Old 06-20-2017, 05:15 PM

Default HD Sewing question

I am attempting to sew a canvas binding onto a canvas cover. I have at my disposal a vintage Singer 99 as well as a Viking 950 sewing machine. The largest size needles I was able to find today are 100 and 110's. Neither of these seem to want to pierce the 5 layers of canvas that I need to sew (folding binding on front/back as well as single layer cover fabric).

Can anyone suggest a readily available heavier needle? Does one exit?? I have Jeans; leather; 100; 110. I'm not willing to risk my Viking when it balks at this fabric thickness. I would think the 99 should be okay though???

BTW...I hate when DH claims he mentioned this issue last year...I swear he did not! Hones

Any and all help greatly appreciated. TIA.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:38 PM
Banned

You match the needle to the thread you're using, or vice versa, as well as what you're trying to sew. How many layers and how heavy is the canvas? It may be that you're wanting the machines to do more than they're capable of. If it's just 5 or 6 layers of light canvas, an 18 jeans needle should do it. I don't think either of those machines can use a bigger needle than that.

Cari
Old 06-20-2017, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
You match the needle to the thread you're using, or vice versa, as well as what you're trying to sew. How many layers and how heavy is the canvas? It may be that you're wanting the machines to do more than they're capable of. If it's just 5 or 6 layers of light canvas, an 18 jeans needle should do it. I don't think either of those machines can use a bigger needle than that.

Cari
I suspect you're right in that I'm expecting the machines to do too much. Sadly. The little man at the dealer where I bought my Viking claimed it should be able to handle that but I'm not willing to risk a major blow-out on the computerized machine for this.

It's fairly heavy canvas - boat cover - kind of like rough tenting canvas for lack of a better description. I posted the same question in the General section and someone there suggested the local shoe repair. I'll head there tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:30 PM

I'm not sure the motor on the 99 is capable of driving a needle through all those layers. You may need an industrial machine!
Old 06-20-2017, 08:48 PM

My Viking has gone thru 6 layers of denim - they demo'd it for me when I bought the machine. Which Viking do you have and is you canvas heavier than a good denim?
Old 06-21-2017, 12:11 AM

My 99 stitches through anything that fits under the presser foot. You can fit it with large size needles, I have found some Chinese on the web that goes up to 130 and 140 (Flying Tiger / Butterfly, the same needles sold under various names). There is plenty of clearing for these sizes needle in the old cast iron machines, I have checked with model 99, 15, 66, 201,...), but be careful with zigzaggers and newer machines. Some 1950s zigzaggers can too. I think all the needle brands go up to size 120 so any shop with a good selection should have it. Schmetz and the regular brands are more finely made than the Chinese needles, which aren't as polished and smooth. I haven't had any problems with them, and they don't cost much.

For the 99, clean it, oil it and it should do five layers of canvas with out any problem, at least if it's not too heavy (within garment weight). Anything you can slip under the presser foot with out struggle should generally be fine. My Viking 21E is faster and noticeably stronger than some of the later 60s and 70s models. Size 110 and 120 are enough for most jobs, and it's mostly because of thread thickness and the larger needle eye I go any higher (and stitching through strange materials like card board and plastic).

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-21-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
My Viking has gone thru 6 layers of denim - they demo'd it for me when I bought the machine. Which Viking do you have and is you canvas heavier than a good denim?
I have a modern Viking Platinum 950 - computerized. The canvas is much heavier than a good denim. I would guess probably 1.5/2 x as thick as a good denim.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
My 99 stitches through anything that fits under the presser foot. You can fit it with large size needles, I have found some Chinese on the web that goes up to 130 and 140 (Flying Tiger / Butterfly, the same needles sold under various names). There is plenty of clearing for these sizes needle in the old cast iron machines, I have checked with model 99, 15, 66, 201,...), but be careful with zigzaggers and newer machines. Some 1950s zigzaggers can too. I think all the needle brands go up to size 120 so any shop with a good selection should have it. Schmetz and the regular brands are more finely made than the Chinese needles, which aren't as polished and smooth. I haven't had any problems with them, and they don't cost much.

For the 99, clean it, oil it and it should do five layers of canvas with out any problem, at least if it's not too heavy (within garment weight). Anything you can slip under the presser foot with out struggle should generally be fine. My Viking 21E is faster and noticeably stronger than some of the later 60s and 70s models. Size 110 and 120 are enough for most jobs, and it's mostly because of thread thickness and the larger needle eye I go any higher (and stitching through strange materials like card board and plastic).
As I mentioned in another response, yes, this canvas is quite heavy...but it did all fit under the presser foot with no issues on that score. I'm going to stop by the shoe repair place this AM and hope they can squeeze in the job. If not, I'll be off to JAF's to see if I can find larger size needles there. I have 100 and 110 so will see if they carry anything larger. Since I need to get this done by Fri. AM at the absolute latest (or not at all), seeing if JAF carries larger will be my only option. Otherwise it will have to wait for two weeks after vacation and then the local upholsterer will have time in his schedule to do this for me again.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:48 AM

The standard Singer motor isn't very strong at all, but on a 99 it's quite capable with the average flat felled seams on denim. I have stitched through bonded nylon webbing and it does it with ease. Sail canvas just isn't within this models range at all, but I doubt you would get more than two layers under the presser foot if at all. I have the same motor on my 201, and it handles heavier fabrics much better than many fancier machines with stronger motor.

I doubt larger needle helps much if it has to do with punch power, a thin needle tends to bend and break more easily. Go for sharp point needle, size 120; that's within the normal range. Larger can be an advantage if you can find it. I don't know how much cleaning and oiling you have done lately, but a smooth running mechanism makes a big difference on the punch power of domestic straight stitchers; start with needle down, medium speed and it should do the job. It's usuall very densely woven fabrics that need a bit of extra attention to needle size and shape, as well as corduroy, velvets, some type of interfacing, linings etc. Heavier denim and canvas are often easy to stitch through.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:27 AM

I believe I would go to the shoe shop, unless they are way out of line expensive. Why risk it?

bkay