Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help advice & direction needed >

Help advice & direction needed

Help advice & direction needed

Old 04-14-2016, 10:21 AM

Default Help advice & direction needed

I will attempt to shorten a VERY long story, but I started a journey to fix and make pretty one treadle machine (model 27, 1912) I knew the original owner of her but then ended up with a few more LOL. (Do they breed and multiply? A year has past and some family issues kept me from finishing my task but now I must follow through.

I have two model 27's Sphinx logo(1901 and 1912) a model 66 Red Eye (1916) and another model 66, 1926 with a motor on it in good shape and I thought to swap out some parts from.
I love the Red Eye decals and the Sphinx, but the Spinx are not in the best shape. I want to keep a minimum of one machine and maximum of two. What things should I consider as I sort out what to keep and what to get rid of. On the #27 models I have gone over them, cleaned and oiled them and they seem to be in good shape. I am not sure on the tension knob yet I would have to check it out and work on the timing. My goal is to have a good treadle in working condition.

I have not cleaned or gone over the #66 model yet, but that is one of my next projects, maybe for tonight.
I have one cabinet for the #27 to refinish and already have the metal based cleaned. So ANY thoughts or input would be helpful. I just need a little direction.
I do have pictures if that would help.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:57 AM

I have friend who find her 27 sturdier compared to 66 and 201. Since the 27 takes long bobbins it makes it different than model 66. I would keep the one with motor and lights and probably the machine handed down to me from someone I knew, unless the other is very much nicer. Anyhow, it's a case where I should not interfere and you should make up your own mind ;- )
Old 04-15-2016, 04:15 AM

Does your 66 treadle use back clamp or side clamp feet? I have a 66-1 red eye and my MIL's 66-1 lotus and both seem to be strong sewers with excellent stitches. I have never sewn on a 27 so I can't compare. My only thought is, if your 66 takes a back clamp foot, be sure you can find the accessories that fit it. There are back clamping feet out there, but in my area they are hard to find.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:59 AM
Power Poster

The most worn ugly looking machine once it has been cleaned up will do the best work. If you are looking for a show piece pick the prettiest. Tensions are easy.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:59 AM

Default thanks

The red eye has the back clamp foot and the one with the motor has the side foot. There are some attachments that came with the red eye though but I have not checked them out. My goal is to decide on the most functional of the machines and hopefully the prettiest I hope this week to ascertain which will fit that criteria the best.
thanks

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
Does your 66 treadle use back clamp or side clamp feet? I have a 66-1 red eye and my MIL's 66-1 lotus and both seem to be strong sewers with excellent stitches. I have never sewn on a 27 so I can't compare. My only thought is, if your 66 takes a back clamp foot, be sure you can find the accessories that fit it. There are back clamping feet out there, but in my area they are hard to find.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:00 AM

The red eye has the back clamp foot and the one with the motor has the side foot. There are some attachments that came with the red eye though but I have not checked them out. My goal is to decide on the most functional of the machines and hopefully the prettiest I hope this week to ascertain which will fit that criteria the best.
thanks
Old 04-16-2016, 07:02 AM

how difficult is it to work with the long bobbins in the 27 compared to the 66? In the end I hope I can steel my emotions and just keep one, but that may be hard to do
Old 04-16-2016, 07:03 AM

makes sense, but I hope to end up with just a treadle, just hoping I can only keep one due to space limits here.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:13 AM

Regarding the long bobbin, I actually think it has a lot to do with what you get used to. Class 66 bobbins takes a bit more thread, and doesn't have to be wound that often. There are ways about it, like winding a few bobbins in one go and keep in mind they have to be replaced at shorter intervals. Model 66 was an innovation when it was introduced, with a drop in bobbin case for easy replacement of the bobbin, but replacing a bobbin in a vibrating shuttle case is not a big deal. Before model 66 it was either a vertical bobbin case like model 15 or the vibrating shuttle like model 27. I know someone who swear their model 28 is the best machine they have for perfect and precise stitching. Model 27 is as I'm sure you know the large version of model 28.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

The long bobbin is easy to use once you learn how. Lizzie Lennard or "Muv and Fav videos" have good clear info on the long bobbin. The sticky about cleaning vintage sewing machines will have links for some of their videos. She also has a blog with a lot of good info and you can find links in Muv's signature which is in that sticky note.