Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help Dating a 319W via its Serial Number >

Help Dating a 319W via its Serial Number

Help Dating a 319W via its Serial Number

Old 06-01-2014, 12:09 PM

Default Help Dating a 319W via its Serial Number

W1628028

I am unable to find information on the Singer "W" serial numbers. They don't seem to be on either the Singer site or ISMACS. Does anyone know when this serial number was allocated?

Also, Nancy mentioned in an old post that these machines were only manufactured during 1955, 1956 and 1957. Were there several serial number allotments during this period or was it just one big number assignment in 1955 and the numbers lasted through 1957?

Thanks for any information you have.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:50 PM

You may have to just settle for "the 1950s". That's what I did on the two that I have.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-01-2014, 02:10 PM

Thank you CD. I am in the process of cleaning it up now and plan on putting it in a 7-drawer treadle that a Red Eye is currently in. During my research I saw that you did that and I would like to have a zigzagger in a treadle. So, thanks for that idea too! I'm hoping I can get the treadle base to not do any clanking so that I can sew while hubby watches TV. I've removed the motor and light and it seems like this is going to be a very nice, quiet machine. I have passed up a few of these machines due to reviews that say they are noisy and because of the special needles they take. But, a great deal came up and I just couldn't pass it up. This is my second green singer (the other is a 125) and I am really liking this color.

Hopefully, someone does have information on the "W" serial numbers and then you will know a bit more about your machines too.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:42 PM

Default Singer "W" Serial Number Dating Information

Hi,

Way back in 2014 "JudyTheSewer" posted: "Hopefully, someone does have information on the "W" serial numbers and then you will know a bit more about your machines too."

I did find a website with dating information on Singer's Bridgeport, Conn. factory's "W" serial numbered machines: http://sew2go.com/singerdate.htm

I hope that you still have your Singer 319W machine.... I acquired mine in September of 2002, and I still have it:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]571533[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-319w.jpg  
Old 04-14-2017, 04:00 PM

I can't figure out why the photo in my previous post flipped 180 degrees when I attached it to the post. Could this be the world's first gravity-defying sewing machine?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:00 PM
Banned

Did you post it from an Apple product? It seems to be fairly common when posting from an Ipad or other Apple products.

Cari
Old 04-14-2017, 10:43 PM
Power Poster

Thanks so much for that link and info, SOSM... I just bought one of these (only black) and like Judy, was not finding any info about the W serial number online. Looks like mine has the same birth year as me, so we are both 61!

I haven't run mine yet. I need to change the cabinet wiring before it's safe to do so. Hope it's not true about it being noisy to run.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:26 PM

Default Hi I have Singer Post Bed and The serial numbers start with W

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
W1628028

I am unable to find information on the Singer "W" serial numbers. They don't seem to be on either the Singer site or ISMACS. Does anyone know when this serial number was allocated?

Also, Nancy mentioned in an old post that these machines were only manufactured during 1955, 1956 and 1957. Were there several serial number allotments during this period or was it just one big number assignment in 1955 and the numbers lasted through 1957?

I have a old Singer Leather sewing machine The serial number starts with W I need more information about it I can't find what year it was made online or how much it worth because I want to sell it
Old 11-01-2021, 07:29 PM

Default Hi I have Singer Post Bed and The serial numbers start with W

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
W1628028

I have a old Singer Leather sewing machine The serial number starts with W I need more information about it I can't find what year it was made online or how much it worth because I want to sell it
Old 11-02-2021, 07:27 AM

Samasaleh, most of us are not into industrial or leather machines. As mentioned in this thread, the "W" serial number is not like many of the other Singer serial numbers.

I'm thinking that leather working forums might better be able to help. Another resource to identify older Singer machines, would be the Smithsonian particularly https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollec...2752/index.htm and https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollec...0144/index.htm

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)