Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help with identifying, threading and using what could be a FW? >

Help with identifying, threading and using what could be a FW?

Help with identifying, threading and using what could be a FW?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:28 AM

Just wondering if the timing might be off.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:15 AM

If its not picking up the thread go to your manual and check and see if the "arm" on the bobbin case is lined up with the needle plate...clear as mudd huh? when someone takes the needle plate off the arm falls to the bottom and needs to be aligned with the two bars on the bottom of the needle plate...its explained fairly well in the manual...hope this helps
Old 12-28-2011, 09:59 AM

It's definitely a featherweight. The bobbin case looks different than mine. There could be a thread caught inside or even as simple as being threaded wrong. Here's a link that has some troubleshooting tips.

http://singerfeatherweight221.blogspot.com/

Also, this one:
http://www.april1930s.com/
Old 12-28-2011, 11:51 AM

I hope I can help. It looks to me like that is not the correct bobbin case. It should not move when you are sewing. They are thinner then most modern ones and so are the bobbins.

One note is there is one more thread guide at the top of the needle that you missed. One of mine is picky that it doesn't want to miss that one.

Also, you may need to clean in the bobbin area. I would suggest taking off the needle plate and clean and oil the race.

Good luck. Vil looks like a charmer.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 AM

The flat side of the needle goes on the left side. The thread goes from the right to the left. Hold it when you get the bobbin thread to pull through to the top. Make sure that you have the thread in the bobbin correct as well
Old 12-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Congratulations on your good buy! You will be glad you found one once you get it up and running. I just sold 3 this week that I bought which had been in attics and who knows where and cleaned them all up. I'm keeping my other 3 for myself but have enjoyed learning about them. I had never seen one until I bought the first one, but found so much info online and had help from members of this board. Don't give up and enjoy!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM

I agree, the bobbin case does not look like the correct one. Hopefully you have found a picture of a featherweight bobbin case so you can compare. The needle does go in with the flat side to the left and threads from right to left. I am pretty sure that your problem lies with the bobbin case. Good luck and happy sewing.

Pat
Old 12-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Thank you all so much for your input. Indeed it appears that a non-original bobbin case is to blame for my currently unusable FW. I have looked for parts online and will order a proper bobbin case shortly. Can't wait for it to be delivered! In the meantime I will thoroughly clean my machine as it appears to be quite dirty -- it smells eww and the thread comes up rusty from traveling through the thread guides. I have looked through the forums for hints regarding such a cleaning process. This is such a helpful place, I am so glad to have found it!

For those wondering where the pics are: here's the link, hopefully it works: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums13593.html

Last edited by kkpc_gaelle; 12-28-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 PM

I went and looked at your pics and I agree that is not the right bobbin case. One thing to definitely replace is the felt oil mat when you take the bottom off. Those that are in the machine when you get them are old and very smelly. You can order a new one on a lot of the featherweight sites. What Dave McCallum told us in one of his FW classes to do is copy the pattern for the pad and buy stiff felt at the craft store and cut out your own. Worked just fine! His book "The Featherweight and I" is a great book with great illustrations. He also has a disk out about caring for your FW. Their site is www.Featherweight221.com and I've bought from him at quilt shows in the area and also ordered on line. He's very knowledgeable and I'm very lucky that he lives only about 40 mi from me and I had the opportunity to take his class.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 PM

I have a white (celery green, actually) FW, and have had the same problem you do. The owner of the LQS is very familiar with FWs and said if I come in with it, she will make sure the bobbin case goes in properly. She said there is only one way to put them in where they will work. I haven't yet, but plan on taking it by soon. And, the needle threads from rt to left.

Kathy