Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
help with screw for singer 15-90 cover >

help with screw for singer 15-90 cover

help with screw for singer 15-90 cover

Old 08-30-2014, 08:46 AM

Default help with screw for singer 15-90 cover

Does anyone know what size screw to use on the feeddog cover for singer 15-90? I found the cover on ebay but no screw with it and I think it goes over the current plate and screws on on the right side? will have to look closer but think the hole there is for attaching stuff right? I have to say I don't remember ever buying screws unless someone was with me picking them out. Am I likely to have any luck in home depot/lowes/walmart hardware? I was really wanting to try doing free motion Mon and Tues when I get time off from work. also do I put the pressure foot down? or the needle bar since I guess I remove the foot? I keep trying to find info online but so many deadends keep popping up it's frustrating!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:00 AM

Can you post a picture of the cover? There are people here who can tell you exactly what you need to know.
The holes that I remember for attaching things are just to the right of the needle plate on the bed of the actual machine. You might be looking at an oil hole.
Singer used a lot of odd thread sizes. I doubt the big box stores would have the right screw. You might be able to find the right screw at Sew-Classic.com
Rodney
Old 08-30-2014, 09:08 AM

quilt938,

I have no idea what the thread size and pitch is, but they are the same as the presser foot thumb screw. Sew-Classic sells them.

Joe
Old 08-30-2014, 09:23 AM

Rodney I can't get the pic to cooperate - it's one Joe shared on another thread a week or so ago - http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t252385.html it's on the first page about 3 posts from the bottom (where you told me what OEM means!) it's the one on the right.

thanks Joe- I'm guessing I wont have much luck with home depot huh? was hoping it was something used for something else more common. :-( think I'm gonna save up for a big order from sew-classic already have a list going LOL!
Old 08-30-2014, 10:19 AM

quilt938,

The feed dog cover I posted the pic of in the other thread do not use screws. They clip on the left side of the needle plate.

Here's some pics to give you more details:

Top:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]489669[/ATTACH]
Bottom:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]489670[/ATTACH]
Mounted on machine:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]489671[/ATTACH]

As you can see, no screws.

There are a number of others that do use screws to attach them and those do use the screws I mentioned above.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails singer-needle-plts-top.jpg   singer-needle-plts-bottom.jpg   singer-needle-plt-66628-b.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 10:34 AM

oh ok - thanks Joe I'll look. I'm pretty sure the first numbers on it are the same but I didn't turn them over- just saw the hole. thank you so much maybe I wont' need them . mine look like the 'top' first picture. I didn't flip them over. learn something every day which is great! I'll get the hang of this stuff eventually!
Old 08-30-2014, 12:00 PM

quilt938, if yours looks like what Joe posted, but has HOLE, then it's "broken" as the little pin that pops into the hole on the needle plate is missing. It's an Oil hole on the needleplate, so there are no threads.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:11 PM

ok I'm thoroughly confused now. the ones Joe posted have that hole on the side - over by the curvy side not the straighter side and not the needle hole in the middle (at least I think that's for the needle) so what's the hole for over on the side of that cover? I was thinking it went over that hole on the bed of the machine...I'll look for the clips that will make it simpler LOL! those manuals with the little bitty prints are hard to see so i'll have to look it up online.

thanks y'all for trying to help me
Old 08-30-2014, 12:15 PM

There is the hole that the needle goes in. the other is NOT a hole. I know, as that a picture of two I own. I'll take a few more pictures at a different angle.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:18 PM

ok I'll check when I get home maybe I dont' have a hole there- sure hope Id on't if there's not supposed to be one there :-(