Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help on a Singer 96-60 Industrial >

Help on a Singer 96-60 Industrial

Help on a Singer 96-60 Industrial

Old 12-07-2014, 06:25 PM

Default Help on a Singer 96-60 Industrial

I recently acquired a Singer 96-60 in pretty good condition. My question is even though I've been searching the internet for a few weeks now, other than a "Product Manual" (sometimes it's listed as a "User Manual" but when you click on link they're both the same) I've been hard pressed to find any other info. It only details the machine's parts and their corresponding parts number. Does someone out there know of or can someone direct me to a service manual for this model? Or does someone know if there is another model that is basically the same as mine that I can use the information from for my machine as well?

Thank you!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:17 PM

Service manuals for these are very hard to come by. They're quite simple machines, and I've gotten by with two of them without a service manual. Someone will probably sell you a pdf though.
What do you need it for?
Old 12-08-2014, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

It will be the same as any other Singer 96 type manual. Those look to me like a very simple machine and intuitive as far as threading goes. If you need to rebuild a tension it will be the same as any home sewing machine tension of it's type. The bobbin case looks the same as a Singer 306 so the bobbins will be the L type. I am going by the drawings in the parts manual I found by google searching Singer 96.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Service manuals for these are very hard to come by. They're quite simple machines, and I've gotten by with two of them without a service manual. Someone will probably sell you a pdf though.
What do you need it for?

I'm curious. I've amassed quite a few of these vintage machines and so I want to learn how to service/repair/refurbish my machines and would like to equip myself accordingly since I can't seem to stay away from them. This is my first industrial though I grew up surrounded by them as my Mum was a designer. I've never been a tinkerer, I've always been on the other side of the sewing machine, so I find this fascinating.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:49 AM

There's an adjusters manual at Singer that should cover your machine.
http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/96-80_100.pdf

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-08-2014, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
It will be the same as any other Singer 96 type manual. Those look to me like a very simple machine and intuitive as far as threading goes. If you need to rebuild a tension it will be the same as any home sewing machine tension of it's type. The bobbin case looks the same as a Singer 306 so the bobbins will be the L type. I am going by the drawings in the parts manual I found by google searching Singer 96.
Thank you, not so much for threading and such but more for servicing. I noticed some models have "Adjuster's Manuals". I'm planning on taking it and my others apart and I noticed some of the industrial manuals mention a difference between models being ball bearings like this blurb on page 2:

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/96-87_107.pdf

I finally found a snippet of info on this manual on pg. 14 that says models 96-40 and 96-60 are identical except my model has ball bearings at both ends of the arm shafts:

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/96-80_100.pdf
Old 12-08-2014, 06:08 AM

Thank you ThayerRags, I appreciate it! LOL, I think we found it at the same time!!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

for working on them - they are just simple sewing machines not all that different than the ones at home
Old 12-08-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
for working on them - they are just simple sewing machines not all that different than the ones at home
I'll definitely keep that in mind, thank you.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

The tension and a bobbin are going to be very simple and adjust like a home machine with that same style part. They thread about the same as a home sewing machine, too.