Here We Go Again

Old 08-27-2014, 09:01 AM

Default Here We Go Again

I found this Singer 301 on CL for $20 and I just couldn't resist. It was pretty dusty but I just knew she would clean up nicely. When I got her home, I noticed that the connection for the foot pedal was different from any other that I have. The cords were in pretty bad shape but I wanted to see if she would run and run she did because I had to finally unplug her to get her stopped. I was pretty sure it was due to the power cord so I went to the internet searching for this type of connection on a 301. It had a single lead cord for the power and then this other cord that plugged into its own connection at the base of the machine. On the net was a post from someone on QB about this type of connection. They seemed to think if I plugged in my regular 2 lead cord like is on the featherweight into the regular connection that it would work and they were right. Problem is now solved and I am going to sew-classic and get a new cord set and rewire the pedal. As you can see from the pictures she was pretty dirty and probably had never been cleaned from the lint build up. My DH will be cleaning and repairing the case as it was pretty dirty too. From the looks of the decals this machine hasn't been used very much. I just get a lot of enjoyment out of cleaning these wonderful old machines and making them shine again.
Attached Thumbnails black-singer-301-full-view.jpg   bobbin-area.jpg   needle-area-lots-lint.jpg   foot-pedal-connection-cord.jpg   foot-pedal-motor-connection.jpg  

all-cleaned-up.jpg   back-all-cleaned-up.jpg   decals-excellent-shape.jpg   case-needs-cleaning.jpg   inside-case.jpg  

Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 AM

I have taken my 2 lead plug from my FW and used it on my cabinet 301 (unplugged the others first) and it worked just fine. Being that yours is a short bed, I t is possible that it was in a cabinet, and that is why it came with the cabinet style plugs and not the portable style plug. My long bed 301 came with the two lead plug like the FW has.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:07 AM
Banned

That's a very nice looking one, great find. Some 301s used double lead cord for power and the controller and some used two separate cords. You can use the double lead cord on machines that were made to use the single leads, but you can't do the opposite. Sew classic sells both.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 08-27-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:37 PM

Great bargain! I LOVE the 301's and currently own two. Must start using my other old gems to get to know them better. Just made myself put one aside last weekend and get started on a new quilt project that I intend to piece and fmq on my 15-91. Loving that machine so far; but I haven't put too many hours on the 15-91 yet. Enjoy your black beauty!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:59 PM

She is beautiful! You are very lucky to find it at such a great price.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:15 PM

Wow! Great deal. That one will clean up really well. I can't see any wear at all on the bed.
Rodney
Old 08-27-2014, 04:26 PM
KLO

Holy Moly, just look at all those dust bunnies! It's a wonder that machine still works. But she is a beauty and looks to be in great shape and either hardly used or well kept .... except for cleaning those dust bunnies, of course! What a great find!!!
Old 08-29-2014, 06:17 AM

I found a 301 in tbe same type of case this summer at a yard sale. Paid $20. The lady said it was her Grandmother's, and she had leatned to sew on it. It is one of the tan and cream ones. I absolutely love this machine! It sews so well. The case is a little worn so I will be interested to see what you do. I thimk you will realky like this machine.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:31 AM

Wow! What a deal! I wouldn't have been able to pass that one up either. It looks like it cleans up well!

Do you know what the paint job is on these black 301's? I believe I read they are aluminum? Are they japanned and shellacked like the other black Singers? *The beige ones are painted I believe.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Wow! What a deal! I wouldn't have been able to pass that one up either. It looks like it cleans up well!

Do you know what the paint job is on these black 301's? I believe I read they are aluminum? Are they japanned and shellacked like the other black Singers? *The beige ones are painted I believe.
Yes all the 301s are aluminum and they're painted, not japanned.

Cari