Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Hoping Someone Has Played with this Universal or Brother >

Hoping Someone Has Played with this Universal or Brother

Hoping Someone Has Played with this Universal or Brother

Old 02-22-2019, 12:37 PM

Default Hoping Someone Has Played with this Universal or Brother

[ATTACH=CONFIG]609029[/ATTACH]
My machine is badged as a Universal, I have seen 2 pics of what looks to be the same machine badged as a Brother (both of them were a blue and white). It is stamped Sanshin and #A21111. I got it a couple of years ago. It came with the bobbin case, 1 bobbin, 1 presser foot, the cords and foot control in the original portable case. The former owner had played with it and gave me a fabric strip of about 5 stitches he had gotten it to do. I’ve played with it a couple of times and can’t figure out how to do more than a straight stitch. I can get it to do a very wide and long zigzag. The lever movement seems to be connected to the movement of the other levers. The vertical lever is reverse, moving that lever up any amount puts the machine in reverse. I need help or a manual. Hoping someone has some knowledge about this machine I’m lacking.
Attached Thumbnails 8fcbec59-b34c-4a36-b36e-eca45c86b3b0.jpeg  
Old 02-22-2019, 03:07 PM

I think this is a line of machines inspired by the early Necchi BUs, and yours might have a few built in stitches, but just guessing by the extra lever "N". It might be another type of setting.

To start with, you have to clean and oil to make sure the functions work properly. Any sluggis or stuck part in the movements are likely to affect the functions adversely. Take the top of the machine, unscrew needle plate (throat plate), top of the machine and face plate (might be hinged). All gears, joints and hinged parts where metal moves against metal need oil. Take out the bobbin case, hook and race, clean, scrape the feed dogs clean with a tooth pick if they are grubby. The machine looks clean.

Vertical lever should in theory be stitch legth setting with reverse. The lever with LMR is needle position. The lever above the the small "W" should be stitch width. Z and N levers might have someting to do with buttonholer function, stitch patterns or cam functions if there are any. The turn nob on the bed is feed dogs settings (up, middle, dropped).

Play around with the levers and you will discover the basic functions, and I'm sure a manual will turn up with a bit of search.

Double and tripple check threading; needle in the correct way (it might go in only one way), check top tension; thread goes inbetween the tension disks.

Last edited by Mickey2; 02-22-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:12 PM

I thought I recognized it! I had one at one time. I think you can find a manual for it under the name of Sewmor 711. I found one at Tias. This is my post about this machine.

bkay

Anyone recognize this machine?