Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
hot rods and mismatched motors... >

hot rods and mismatched motors...

hot rods and mismatched motors...

Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 AM

Default hot rods and mismatched motors...

I think I need some help. one of my little godzilla 128's is realy living up to the moniker.....
She has been fitted with a Pfaff 1.6 amp motor and is a little out of control (or rather I am a little out of control) the main issue is that the foot pedal(a later model singer bakelite...wide brown thing) does not seem to be rated for the motor and gets very hot, and also kinda has only two speeds ... off .. and Watch your Fingers!

So can someone suggest a new foot pedal that might get me a little more heat sink and range of motion, I have no problem with the powerful motor and in fact kind of like it just wish I could excersize a little more control over this little monster.

thanks
Dan
Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 AM

If that were my machine I would replace the motor and the foot pedal. However if you like the motor and the amps, then replace that foot controller. Contact Jennie at sewclassic.com. She might give you some advice as what to do. I am also sure you will get some more advice from others here on the QB.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:44 AM

I totally second that advice.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
I think I need some help. one of my little godzilla 128's is realy living up to the moniker.....
She has been fitted with a Pfaff 1.6 amp motor and is a little out of control (or rather I am a little out of control) the main issue is that the foot pedal(a later model singer bakelite...wide brown thing) does not seem to be rated for the motor and gets very hot, and also kinda has only two speeds ... off .. and Watch your Fingers!

So can someone suggest a new foot pedal that might get me a little more heat sink and range of motion, I have no problem with the powerful motor and in fact kind of like it just wish I could excersize a little more control over this little monster.

thanks
Dan
Dan,

I have a similar problem. My MW URR988 or 7 Jewel, has a 1.5 amp motor and it's foot controller gets VERY hot. I have a thread here about it.

I got the foot controller from Sew-Classic and Jenny wasn't much help. She suggested I try an electronic controller but when I told her the motor was 1.5 amp she said that "might" damage an electronic controller because they are only rated at 1.2 amps. I haven't tried another controller yet, but that is the next thing on my list.

The Alden I just brought home from Indy has a 0.8 amp motor on it and it's foot controller got blistering hot in just a few minutes of sewing. So I can't use that one either.

At this point, I'm frustrated as well. Hopefully somebody will see your thread and have something to say that they didn't say in my thread.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 04-04-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 AM

Joe, maybe we should just go with a clutch and run em like an industrial
Old 04-04-2012, 11:27 AM

Not a bad idea. Perhaps rig up an old steam traction engine to drive a big belt which would run a drive shaft across the ceiling and that would drive the belts that would drive the machines .......
Hmmmm, seems like I've seen that before.

Dan, I'm just being goofy.

I wouldn't mind having an industrial with that type of set up.

Joe
Old 04-04-2012, 11:43 AM

Odd that you would mention that as it sounds like something I might do.

Working on a low pressure hobby class boiler made from an old propane tank, and building a slam valve head for a 2 cylinder compressor I have.

On the more serious side, I have the heat issue with both the controlled and the motor right now. I am going to try the 5 amp foot control I found. But I wonder if it is a missprint and they mean .5 amp.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM

Dan,

I've looked at the listing for that foot controller and I doubt it's a misprint. And considering that most motors are around .8 to 1.0 amps, a .5 foot controller doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Do you do a lot of slow speed high load sewing on that machine?

I asked because when I get mine running with straight stitching, start- sew - stop, repeat as needed, the motors and controllers rarely get past warm.
But if I want to do some decorative stitching that requires the machine to work harder, all the zig-zag mechanicals or cam drives are working and the motor has to drive them all, I sew slow to better control my stitch path.
That is when my foot controllers get heated up.

I suspect heavy material straight stitching would have a similar effect on the motor and controller.
But that's just a theory.

Joe
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM

Joe,
Almost all of my sewing is slow, just because I am not any good. That and this particular machine has a slightly bent main shaft.....making it a little sticky to get started. Also the foot control leaves a LOT to be desired and I end up having to reallly ease into it , just get it humming good (no motion) and then kinda help it get started by hand.

Yeah I know that is when the carbon pile is sinking the most current.....but this motor is twice the design spec (almost) and she REALLY flies if I goose it to begin with. I have a bare machine with a good shaft, but I figure I ought to fix the wood base and such when I do a complete tear down, and I just have not gotten to it yet. Honestly, I have only had the machine a month and I was out of state for two weeks of that.

She WILL be whole and correct again soon, I just like my little subdued centenial.

Dan
Old 04-04-2012, 02:39 PM

Dan,

Well, then you're in the same boat as I am. You sew slow and that produces heat. Looks like both of us need to try that heavier controller.

Joe