Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How do you remove the pins/hinges/screws off an original singer box? >

How do you remove the pins/hinges/screws off an original singer box?

How do you remove the pins/hinges/screws off an original singer box?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Exclamation How do you remove the pins/hinges/screws off an original singer box?

I rescued an old singer 128 from an antique shop yesterday. She came complete with her wood box and cover but the box is very brittle and falling apart. I want to remove the machine from the box and just put it with the cover as a display item and put the 128 in the new box I purchased for my 66. I haven't had a chance to look at exactly how they are in there. Hope to do that this evening. But figured I'd ask here before I completly destroy her box trying. (which won't be diffcult as she is coming apart already!) so help!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Kitty, first - the 128 won't fit a box made for a full-sized Singer. The hinges are in the wrong place. To remove the machine from the hinges tilt it back and loosen the set screws that bears on the pins that protrude from the hinges, the slide it toward you and off of the pins.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 AM

Ken is correct, the 128 won't fit in the box made for a full sized machines.
If you are going to trash this original box/ base please save the two 'barrel' hinges. They are recessed into deep holes in the base. To remove them turn the base upside down. Look into the two holes on the underside. You should see a screw head in each hole. After removing the screws the hinges will come out from the top side. If lost those screws are difficult to replace, keep them with the hinges.
Cathy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]379649[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]379650[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
Kitty, first - the 128 won't fit a box made for a full-sized Singer. The hinges are in the wrong place. To remove the machine from the hinges tilt it back and loosen the set screws that bears on the pins that protrude from the hinges, the slide it toward you and off of the pins.
Attached Thumbnails 99-base-bottom-view.jpg   99-base-hinge-screw.jpg