Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 37 of 37

Thread: How do you treadlers do it?

  1. #26
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
    I'm using oxygen tubes for belts. I cleaned the treadle wheel and the machine head wheel with alcohol (vodka). I kept the dampened cloth against the wheel surface while treadling the machine. I was amazed at the gunk! I repeated until the cloth remained clean.
    Cool if you drink enough of the Vodka it won't matter if the machine treadles right or not!!!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  2. #27
    Super Member lovelyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    2,103
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Cool if you drink enough of the Vodka it won't matter if the machine treadles right or not!!!
    You made me laugh this morning! Thanks!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

  3. #28
    Senior Member donna13350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    791
    My neighbor is in her 70's, and has several treadles that she uses to sew leather...she still operates a small business doing leather repair and making new items...anyway...she takes a piece of sandpaper and roughens up her new belts...she says they grab better that way...

  4. #29
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
    My neighbor is in her 70's, and has several treadles that she uses to sew leather...she still operates a small business doing leather repair and making new items...anyway...she takes a piece of sandpaper and roughens up her new belts...she says they grab better that way...
    Now that I can do.

    Joe

  5. #30
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,598
    I read somewhere that a few spots of violin bow rosin adds enough "grab" for aquarium tubing. You probably don't have some on hand, do you?

  6. #31
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I read somewhere that a few spots of violin bow rosin adds enough "grab" for aquarium tubing. You probably don't have some on hand, do you?
    That makes sense.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  7. #32
    Super Member JudyTheSewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Now that I can do.

    Joe
    I used sandpaper on the first oxygen tube belt I installed. I should really look for the violin bow rosin.

    Miriam, I haven't considered drinking the cheap vodka that I keep in a spray bottle. That would probably have a negative effect on my seam accuracy! I think I'll have to stick with coffee.

  8. #33
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    It's a quilt pattern that has little "spoked" pieces radiating out from a center circle. It's very vintage and one of my favorites. You have to sew across the little ends of the spoke pieces, so it's lots of stopping and starting. DH wanted to know why I was doing it on that machine instead of one of the electric ones. I just felt like doing it on a treadle. Yes, he thinks I'm nuts.
    Thanks for the explanation. Post a pic of it when you done. I'd really like to see one.

    Joe

  9. #34
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
    Sorry, Joe, I wasn't paying any attention to who was asking for help.
    That's OK. I can always use tips and ideas.

    Joe

  10. #35
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I read somewhere that a few spots of violin bow rosin adds enough "grab" for aquarium tubing. You probably don't have some on hand, do you?
    Ummm, no. No bow rosin.

    Joe

  11. #36
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
    I used sandpaper on the first oxygen tube belt I installed. I should really look for the violin bow rosin.

    Miriam, I haven't considered drinking the cheap vodka that I keep in a spray bottle. That would probably have a negative effect on my seam accuracy! I think I'll have to stick with coffee.
    Just for my curiosity, why keep vodka for cleaning? Wouldn't denatured or rubbing alcohol be as good?

    Joe

  12. #37
    Super Member JudyTheSewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Just for my curiosity, why keep vodka for cleaning? Wouldn't denatured or rubbing alcohol be as good?

    Joe
    I'm sure denatured alcohol would serve the same purpose as the vodka. Ever since my babies were born I've tried to use as few chemicals as possible in the house. So in my mind the denatured alcohol has chemicals added so I just stick with the stuff you CAN drink (although I don't drink this because it is such a cheap vodka that I bet it would give one nasty hangover.) I've never tried rubbing alcohol for cleaning so I don't know its affect but I don't care for the smell of that. That's all Joe - just my preference :-) I bet vodka is not better than the others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.