Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A Huge Thank you -- A bit long >

A Huge Thank you -- A bit long

A Huge Thank you -- A bit long

Old 05-22-2012, 02:56 AM

Default A Huge Thank you -- A bit long

Hello everyone,

My name is Donna and I've been a silent member for about a year. I absolutely love my modern computerized sewing machines and all their features. That is until last year when I had to make 3 Amy Butler Weekend Travel bags. Trying to go through all the layers was just awful! Slipping, sliding, jamming what a pain. When I first learned to play golf, I learned a whole new set of vocabulary (and to be honest I still use it today whenever I play) but the language I learned doing those bags was a whole other world. Poor hubby couldn't believe such things came out of his sweeties mouth.

Then one day I noticed the Vintage Sewing Machine Topic in the digest. So I started reading and looking. What a wealth of information you all have. I learned what to look for, what to stay away from, what I should pay for the machine of my dreams, where to get the necessary replacement parts, how to do the repairs myself along with the confidence to do them, websites I might need, and so many other things. You all had something to contribute and I thank each and everyone of you!

Two weeks ago my husband took the car in for repairs and up the street is a Faith Farms thrift store. He came home with a Singer Centennial 15-91 for $40.00! I was thrilled to say the least. It was missing the power cord and foot pedal but I wasn't worried because because I knew to go to sew-classic.com and get one.

Jenny had what I needed and the service was quick. In the mean time I started to clean my new toy up. I used flannel and sewing machine oil and shinned her up like a new penny. There is just a mark from some tape the previous owner used as a stitch guide but that's ok. She is in real nice condition. I oiled all her joints let her set a day and then oiled them again. The parts came and I changed the rubber wheel on the bobbin winder, plugged the cord in and off we went! I am one happy camper!

I also have something to contribute. I remember reading that one of you said when you disengage the wheel to wind bobbins the needle still goes up and down. In the Manual for the 15-91, on page 14 it shows how to adjust the pressure of the bobbin winder. At the bottom of the page it says that bobbins can also be wound while the machine is sewing. So for those of you who thought you had a problem, maybe you don't.

With hurricane season just around the corner, I'm thinking maybe I should be on the look out for a hand crank machine. Nine days without electricity will drive you bonkers, and I was lucky, other areas went much much longer.

Thank you one and all,
Donna

And now I would like to present "Black Beauty"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337147[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337148[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails dsci0097-%5B640x480%5D.jpg   dsci0092-%5B640x480%5D.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 AM

And what a beauty she is! Welcome to the fantastic world of vintage/antique machine ownership!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 AM

Welcome Donna! Lovely story and a beauty of a machine! My 15-90 was the first vintage machine I purchased to use for sewing...well, I probably don't need to warn you that yours will probably not be your last. LOL

Joann
Old 05-22-2012, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

Welcome Donna! I think we are all guilty of lurking for a while before becoming active. You won't have any trouble sewing through layers with that little beauty. Congratulations!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:17 AM

Welcome also Donna. Warning though, the Vintage Bug has bitten you and there is no cure. What is even worse is that your DH is your chief enabler. Your 15-91 is a lovely girl.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:34 AM

She is beautiful!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 AM

Welcome and what a beauty. You did a great job of 'cleaning' her up. Happy sewing and as been said, "It won't be your last one." LOL
Old 05-22-2012, 06:41 AM

Welcome! And what a beautiful machine. You did such a nice job. Collecting and using vintage machines is so much fun. You have been warned already by others but just enjoy it!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 AM

Donna, yes the machine can wind a bobbin while sewing, you just turn the handwheel to disengage the needle and feed dogs. The bobbin winder pressure adjustment is used to get the bobbin to wind more evenly. Those who have problems disengaging the needle need to remove the handwheel and clean out the area and reassemble.

Glad to hear our postings have helped you.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 AM

Donna, I love your story. Your machine is a beauty. wish I had one.