Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I am sooo stupid I want to cry. PLEASE HELP >

I am sooo stupid I want to cry. PLEASE HELP

I am sooo stupid I want to cry. PLEASE HELP

Old 04-08-2014, 11:45 AM

Default I am sooo stupid I want to cry. PLEASE HELP

Ok, a couple of days ago I posted my new favorite machine, a 1941 Crinkle Singer 66 treadle in pristine condition. It treadled beautifully and as fast or slow as I desired. What did I do today you ask? Well I hadn't actually checked out the stitching because the spool pin was in the drawer. Today I took it out and tapped it in the hole with a hammer. It wasn't wanting to stay so I did give it a few good taps. As soon as I did that she would not treadle! I mean really really hard....what the heck?
so I investigated....what in the HELL (please excuse me but I am really upset) was I thinking?? I had tapped it into an oil hole! It didn't actually stay as I was able to easily remove it, but it did it's damage. I am posting photos. Please, please someone help me. I have tried several things to get it to treadle as it did initially. I am sick at heart and hope I haven't done damage that is beyond MY fixing capability. I have tried several things to correct the issue....oiling heavily in that area, tapping lightly from below, ie. in the opposite direction. All to no avail. I am just sick about it.

So I tapped it into this hole that is bigger and has the smaller recessed hole....to the right of the PROPER spool pin hole. You can see it from below in the next photo....just below the knob for the access plate.

I am truly hoping someone is laughing right now and saying "silly girl...easy fix!"
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by Cogito; 04-08-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Banned

I'll look at one of mine when I get home to see in more detail what might have happened..

I would really not be too stressed, it takes a lot to kill these.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:03 PM

Thank you SteveH. I know they are pretty sturdy machines but I don't know how to fix this. If anyone can help I know you can!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:11 PM

The underside of that 'oil hold, is a pivot point. You need to get under in and raise it slightly.
You may be able to tap on the swivel that pivots on it. Good luck. It should not be all that hard to do.

Cathy
Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
The underside of that 'oil hold, is a pivot point. You need to get under in and raise it slightly.
You may be able to tap on the swivel that pivots on it. Good luck. It should not be all that hard to do.

Cathy
Thank you ms cath! can you be a little more directive? I did try tapping it from the opposite side (opposite direction from original tap but no change.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
....I had tapped it into an oil hole!....I tapped it into this hole that is bigger and has the smaller recessed hole....to the right of the PROPER spool pin hole....
I haven’t actually done that, but looking at my Singer 66-18 Centennial machine, it looks like all you did was tighten up the Arm Rock Shaft adjustment by driving the upper center down. There’s another center on the bottom, with a screwdriver slot in it and a locknut on it.

If it were me, I think I would loosen the locknut on the bottom Arm Rock Shaft Center, and use a large screwdriver to see if I could turn the lower Center inward at all to push the upper Center back up just a tad, and then back off the lower Center just enough to free things back up without the Shaft being sloppy and lock the locknut back down.

If I couldn’t get the upper Center to move up, I’d just back the lower center off just a bit and tighten the locknut back tight.

I’ve not ever adjusted an Arm Rock Shaft, so you might wait until you hear from Steve again to get his opinion on your fix.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 470742d1396986010-image.jpg   machine503_14.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 12:55 PM

As a last resort, if you cant pry or tap it up, maybe the smallest size e-z out could fit in there, they tighten counter clockwise. After you start it keep turning the wrench and pull up on the shaft of the ez out with needle nose plier or vise grips. it should come up. If the easy out goes thru it, it will drive against the part its wedged into and help bring it up. I dont have machine or ez out in front of me. sposed to b workin!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:22 PM

CD, thanks for taking time to reply. I am curious about unrelated.....what program are you using to put arrows in the pic? I am still in shock at my stupidity! Sigh....sure hope I can get her back to "rockin like butter".
Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
As a last resort, if you cant pry or tap it up, maybe the smallest size e-z out could fit in there, they tighten counter clockwise. After you start it keep turning the wrench and pull up on the shaft of the ez out with needle nose plier or vise grips. it should come up. If the easy out goes thru it, it will drive against the part its wedged into and help bring it up. I dont have machine or ez out in front of me. sposed to b workin!
lol, don't want to get you in trouble at work! I have never used an easy out. A bit of a newbie with drastic issues. Hope I don't have to go that route...but whatever it takes!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

Did you turn it upside down and shake it?