I do have too many machines!

Old 05-08-2015, 12:27 PM

Default I do have too many machines!

The Display room is ready to start moving machines in - and I feel overwhelmed! Been wondering how I can stack treadles two high . . . though I really didn't intend to display cabinets - just machines.

I am looking forward to getting the hemstitcher set up - the machine has been sitting down by my computer and the base has been stored outside. She'll be moved upstairs as soon as I get the other ones moved out.

DH is still working on the electrical in the workroom, so I can't get my bench moved in yet. I'm looking forward to having that out of the garage and where it belongs.

Guess I better quit procrastinating and get to work cleaning so DH and I can start moving machines.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:32 PM

YAY!!! She is almost ready to move the machines in!
Do you think they will all fit?
Old 05-08-2015, 12:46 PM
Banned

Happy Dance! I am glad you are working so hard to get it ready for my visit..... (lol, J/K)
Old 05-08-2015, 04:21 PM

Steve, I was joking with my husband - and said I wondered what I could put out on the curb for bait to lure you and Heather a bit farther north on your way home. I think the only one I've currently got you might be interested in is one I'm not ready to part with.

Other than a few for duplicates for display - my Singers are staying in the house.

I've been out measuring, and have figured out where I can put 6 display shelves. The attachments will go in the silverware boxes that will go in the big display case. I'll have to put in more shelves for them. I'm going to remove the tops from the cabinets (and store them safely) so the machines can sit open without taking up as much room. Will get interesting to deal with those that use the lid for leverage.

DH is working on getting the ceiling fan mounted in the display room - that is the last part he's got to get done there. He plans on getting that done tonight - so tomorrow morning I'll start moving machines, and then after breakfast, DH can help me start moving the cabinets.

For sure on display
National Two Spool in Cabinet
White VS (New Queen) in cabinet
Davis VS (Minnesota) in treadle table
Free VS in cabinet
Standard Rotary in cabinet (however I have both the slim and stout and love both cabinets and would love to fit both)
I also have the really neat small wood leg Sears treadle that I want to display

I have both a Demorest and Domestic that are coffin top style, so for sure one of those cabinets will be displayed
And then I need my Singer parlor cabinet that is converted to use for all the machines that won't be in cabinets.

I also have the Damascus Grand and the New Goodrich cabinets, but they are both smaller parlor ones so don't take up as much room.

Then I'll round it out with my favorite electric cabinets - and almost all of them have White made machines. I had planned to put my Mom's old White in the Martha Washington cabinet, and if I go that route, that one will stay in the house.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:02 PM

I was going to say since you have brand new electric service to the shed and it's half rebuilt, just keep going. IIRC your summer kitchen is in the other half so that kind of ruins that idea.
It's too bad because many of your cabinets deserve to be displayed in their own right.
Look at the bright side. You have a great display room and a separate work room. It's a setup that I'm sure many of us here envy.
I love the silverware case idea for your attachments.
Rodney
Old 05-08-2015, 06:32 PM

[h=2]"I do have too many machines!"[/h]...said no vintage sewing machine collector ever.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:21 PM

Exciting progress. Be sure to take photos for us to drool over!!!
Old 05-09-2015, 04:36 AM

When I first saw the inside of that display room, I said, "That's going to be too small." We never build things big enough. I have a large living room, and had thoughts of putting a spinning wheel in there. No room!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:04 AM

We decided to use the original footprint of the building, and that a good size workroom was more important than the display area. It's more storage/display as I plan on having more of a traveling show, with most info on the internet. I'll be open by appointment only - for those traveling through that want to see the machines in person. I don't want my insurance rates to go through the roof either!

I know that no matter how much room I have, I'll fill it up. So by staying small, it helps to keep a lid on things so I don't go from collecting to providing a shelter for all unwanted machines - or even slip over into hoarding. And since the bulk of my collection (in item count, not volumn) is my attachment collection, that takes up a lot less room. It's nice to have one machine that the attachments fit, it's not needed to have one machine for each set of attachments (since I have about 10 unique sets for New Home VS machines).

I do want to have one complete period appropriate set and manual for my Singer machines, and I'd already have that if I'd quit buying Singer machines!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:34 AM

Been procrastinating this AM - but had an attachment set on eBay I was courting. It will be coming to live with me now. Bad part - it's a set I don't have a machine for.