Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I was just gonna look - Honest >

I was just gonna look - Honest

I was just gonna look - Honest

Old 03-15-2014, 11:01 AM

Default I was just gonna look - Honest

I have a confession to make - I bought a non-vintage machine today.

It is used, so at least I didn't completely fall off the wagon.

I've been considering an embroidery machine, but wasn't sure if I wanted to fork over that much money. We went into the local town today, stopped at the discount fabric shop and picked up some supplies, wandered over the antique shop and bought some crochet doilies, passed on a Singer T&S 700 series for $27.50 and then went down the block to the quilt shop that sells Pfaff machines.

They had the second to the top line machine on sale for $5,000, which was quite a bit more than I wanted to spend, but doable . . . but I told them I wanted to start cheap to see if I even liked machine embroidery. Turns out they had a very nice used machine with all the attachments and computer USP adapter and three hopes. They took it in a trade on a newer one and it was fully serviced and ready to sew. Got a nice demonstration and I asked them what the new one did that this one didn't, and it was mostly software related or the graphical interface, not that much in what the machine itself did.

And then my husband asked what they wanted for the used one, and she said $1,100. And he looked at me and said "if you want this one, you have my blessing" So it came home with us.

And the shop owner said if I decided I loved embroidery and wanted to upgrade, she'd give me what I paid for this one in trade on a new model.

So now I have TWO machines in the house that are less than 30 years old. Now I have to figure out where I'm going to put this one!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:13 AM

Was it a Pfaff you bought? Which one?
I love machine embroidery, there is a book by Sulky that is helpful to learn how stabilizers help make the stitching smooth with outlines that stay where they're supposed to. Google to find it just about anywhere online.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:42 PM

Congrats! Have fun with it! Can you write your own software for it?
Rodney
Old 03-15-2014, 05:10 PM

*claps* yay for new machines, even if they're youngins. LOL I recently bought a late eighties Bernina and she's the baby of the group.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:26 PM

Good for you...I do my quilting labels on my embroidery machine, and should play with it more, but I seem to be busy playing with the vintage machines for now.. Your hubby is a keeper.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 PM

Congratulations, Cathy! I've always had a yen for an embroidery machine, but I'd never have the time to use it, and I really cannot afford one! I would love one to do quilt labels, etc., but again, I have to set priorities and that one just isn't high right now!

Jeanette
Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 AM

I'm moving stuff around this morning - and trying to make a couple of St. Pat Day cakes to take to work. (Baking is my other hobby, and I've got a done of accessories for that one too LOL!!)

I'm moving the new Davis into the Library, moving one of the smaller parlor cabinet from the library to the Machine room(to make room for the Davis) Putting the Domestic back to back with the Standard moving the White over and putting the Parlor cabinet next to it (at this point, I really don't think I could fit another treadle in there)

Then I'm taking the smaller 99 table and machine and moving it somewhere - not sure where yet . . . The new trapizoid cabinet is going upstairs where that one was, and then I'll shift the table over, and the 500 and 99 cabinets so I can put them side by side instead of having the 99 in the corner on the other wall.

Then - the new Embroidery machine is going to be set up on top of the 500 cabinet (it's one of my larger cabinets). . .
hmmm. . . . maybe I should move the Pfaff cabinet . . . Then I'd have the Pfaff on top of the Pfaff . . . it's got a lot of storage under it I could use for all the embroidery stuff too.

I guess it's time to grab that measuring tape and head upstairs.

DH had to run up to town, I realized this AM I don't have enough eggs to make four cakes! I'm making a "rainbow bundt cake" in green tones - and I make one large bundt and one smaller bundt . I cheat and use mixes for this and then flavor and tint for how I want them.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 AM

Good for you. I have embroidery machines and love them, You can make the most beautiful quilt blocks with them as well as other decorative items. Make sure you get a couple of classes to learn the special operations of your machine.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:52 AM

Got it all arranged now (and the cakes in the oven too).

Move the Pfaff 130 (in Singer cabinet) over and put the Embroidery machine on it. If I need lots of room, I can tuck DH's 201 in the cabinet and have a large surface area. And he can do the same if he needs lots of room, just move the embroidery machine to the table. This cabinet has a lot of storage underneath, I just have to move what is there somewhere else, and then this can hold the thread and embroidery supplies.

The 500 got moved to where the Pfaff 130 was, the cabinet is about the same size, and it holds my extra work area just fine. This will be nicer as it's much easier to get at the electrical outlet - and pick up things that I drop that roll under the cabinet. It wasn't too bad with the other one, just had to go around and open up the doors to get at the floor underneath.

Then we brought the trapezoid cabinet upstairs - eventually this will have the 319 installed, unless I decide to leave that one in the case and put a short bed two tone 301 in this one - the cradle came with the cabinet. I have a long bed 301, but have always sort of wanted a two tone short bed one. This cabinet is not as long as the 500, so I moved the table over about 5" to give me more room for the embroidery machine.

Moved stuff around in the dressing/machine room - moved the Domestic back to back with the Standard, and moved the White over to the wall, and then brought in the Parlor cabinet (Singer 115 "wings") to put under the window.

It's tight, but there is room enough to shift the machines so I can sew at them. And if I ever wanted to use one a lot, I'd swap it out with the Two Spool in the bedroom. I've got 22 machines in this room now.

And finally - the new Davis VF was moved into the library where the parlor cabinet was. I had picked up a WW top and drawers a while back, for like $10 for all (had no use for them at the time, but couldn't pass that one up). So now the WW top has a purpose. I think I'll make a frame and put the two drawers on this cabinet where it's missing them. I can always take them off if I ever get Davis ones.

Here is a better picture of the new Pfaff

I may not have time to play with her for a while, this is one of the busiest weeks of the year for me with my job, wrapping up all four budgets so they can be submitted for approval (at least only one is large, about 60 pages). On top of that, my Mom was put into the Hospice program on Saturday, and since this includes discontinuing use of the feeding tube, it won't take long. It's sad but it is most certainly time to let her go. I live five hours away, but have lots of siblings that are right there. Mom's been at home the whole time, and will stay there for her final days.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:16 PM

So sorry about your mother. Mine was 94 when she passed and it was time too. But no matter it is still hard and I still miss mom. She was a great lady and always helping others.
I have a Kenmore 19000 made by janome embroidery machine she bought me. That was before the days of hooking into computer to down load so much. Have looked at the brother that is $500-600 but no place for it. Enjoy your new to you machine and will be waiting to hear how you like it.