Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I moved to my grandmother's house and found a singer >

I moved to my grandmother's house and found a singer

I moved to my grandmother's house and found a singer

Old 07-01-2021, 08:23 AM

Default I moved to my grandmother's house and found a singer

Hi all,

first of all excuse me if this is not the appropiate forum, and also excuse my writing mistakes since I'm not a native English speaker. Second, I don't look for advice for selling it, or prices, I just would like to know a bit about the sewing machine so I can have a better idea of how this machine got here, and particularly, when.

I recently moved to my grandmother's house, and I found an old singer sewing machine. In the family we all knew that the machine had always been there, but we didn't pay attention to it.

Today I uncovered it and cleared the place and I was really surprised because it is so beautiful (in my humble non-expert opinion), it seems very well preserved, and it apparently works fine. Actually it still has some thread in the needle, and the cabinet still has many utilities. It seems that it was used until some sudden stop (maybe they bought a new one). Actually, I never saw my grandmother using it, she has a newer one.

I've found some information online, but I don't really trust it. The machine is a singer, with a big label with 'hexagon', and serial number B142509, and the cabinet model is JMS 5-2571. According to the serial number in ismacs, they said it's a 1904 model, but I'm not sure that it can be possible. I have no idea about the type of cabinet, or if they were made here in Spain, both cabinet and machine.

I'm not sure if this is a kind of antique, or just a regular old sewing machine, so I hope that some of you guys, as experts (at least compared to me, hehe) could share some information about it. I've already reached my research limit.

Every detail of the sewing machine will be welcome, so I can share it with the rest of the family. Again, we have no interest in selling it, I could find some quite similar being sold online, but I couldn't find information about them, that is what I'm actually looking for. We will keep it with care.

If you are interested, I could take some pictures.

Thanks in advance and best regards!
Old 07-01-2021, 08:39 AM

Welcome soev. We have very few members from Spain. Your English ifs far better than my Spanish.

You have a model 66.since it was made in 1904 it would not have a mounting boss under the hand wheel. It would be very difficult to add an electric motor and nearly impossible to add a hand crank. That my be why it got put aside after the owners got electricity..
Hexagon is a puzzle. Maybe a dealer? 66s were made for decades, so there are parts around. Many of us here use them.

I do not know cabinets by numbers, but others here will.

We love to see pictures but hey need to be pretty small.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:22 AM

Welcome and as Leon said "Your English is far better than my Spanish."

I'm so glad that you said "Again, we have no interest in selling it, I could find some quite similar being sold online, but I couldn't find information about them, that is what I'm actually looking for. We will keep it with care."

I am wondering if it looks like the one at the top of this page - http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/standard%20...%20machine.htm
If so the Singer serial number database will not apply to this machine.

Maybe if you post a picture, it will help someone identify what it is that you do have.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a
file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.
We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 07-01-2021, 10:31 AM

Welcome to the Quilting Board from South East Michigan USA! Two of our best Vintage and Antique members have answered some of your questions and so I cannot add a thing. But do hope to see you here. It is a great place to visit. There are so many people who love to share their love for sewing. I personally use vintage machines most of the time. Again welcome to the Quilting Board.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:40 PM

The fact that you have a cabinet model number leads me to believe that it's as Janey said, you may have something quite different and the model number does not apply to the Singer database. Though - someone could have easily put an older machine into a newer case/cabinet in the 30's or 40's - a lot can happen over the years. A picture is going to be the best solution to the mystery.

BTW - The Hexagon was made by Standard, and they were bought out and Singer did end up with them and made some Singer machine using a modified design of the Hexagon machine, they were sold as a variation of the model 128
Old 07-02-2021, 01:00 AM

Hi again! thank you all for the replies and warm welcome.

I can see you are all from the US, nice! I'll definitely google some of your places on google maps... I love travelling, in particular to less crowded/touristic places. Real places with real people. In the US I just visited LA, San Diego and Hawaii, with my family, ten years ago. But if the COVID allows it, I'll visit Alexandria (Vir) next year for a conference (I'll try to extend the visit a couple weeks). In case you share my curiosity about new places, we are from the less-touristic, more beautiful , cold part of Spain, from Navarre, 1h to France, in the lower part of the Pyrenees.

@OurWorkbench , thanks for the link, even this model is different, it is sure from the same company. And it makes sense that the serial number does not correspond to the singer list. That's what I thought initially and the main reason I came here, because 1904 seemed way too old in my opinion.

@Macybaby, what you said about the hexagon company seems to be very right. I thought that maybe hexagon had a patent licence from singer, but the fact that singer actually bought hexagon makes more sense. Now I do understand the stamp in the front of the machine, that reads: "singer company - hexagon - sewing machines" in Spanish (see the pic). Initially I thought that hexagon was maybe a Spanish company. The model also looks like the model 128 in my inexperienced opinion.

About the cabinet, excuse me but I can't get a picture now.

If you want, I can do it tomorrow. Anyway, the pedal looks like these:
https://www.ximuso.es/wp-content/upl...721_163456.jpg

It has only one drawer like this one:
https://eltallerdesarin.com/img/cms/...0restaurar.jpg

But with two wood pieces to cover the machine when stored, that it's stored inside, like this:
https://cloud10.todocoleccion.online.../142968422.jpg

I hope it helps! thanks again!

EDIT: I checked again the model 128 and now it doesn't look that similar to me...
Attached Thumbnails image-2021-07-01-15.39.13.jpeg   image-2021-07-01-16.14.21.jpeg   image-2021-07-01-16.14.22.jpeg   image-2021-07-01-16.14.22-1-.jpeg  

Last edited by soev; 07-02-2021 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:09 AM

Looking for newer singer versions, I've found that our machine is quite similar to the singer 201K23, but treadle operated... what do you think? The manufacturing years would make more sense to me, but the fact that someone bought a sewing machine treadle operated at that time seems a bit weird. Spain had a hard post-civilwar time, but I believe they already had electricity here! hehe

Singer 201k23:
https://d33wubrfki0l68.cloudfront.ne...23-360x240.jpg

found here: https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/201

Old 07-02-2021, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by soev View Post
... I've found that our machine is quite similar to the singer 201K23, but treadle operated... what do you think? ...
Yes it does look similar, but the 201 has the thread tension on the front. I have been doing some research and have a theory, but haven't had time to put it all together. It also looks like some Alfa machines, too. I found an ad for a catalog that has what I think may be similar to the treadle base that you have at https://en.todocoleccion.net/catalog...#sobre_el_lote

Since your machine has the drop feed dog knob, I'm thinking that perhaps the approximate date to be late 1950s to early 1960s. I'm also wondering if your machine is aluminum - if so a magnet will not stick to the bed or arm of the machine.

There are still treadle machines being made as there are some areas of the world that still don't have reliable electricity and/or some religious people that do not use electricity.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 07-04-2021, 03:14 AM

Like Janey said, you have a Singer 15, in a Singer treadle, and the estimate of the 1950's is what I'd go for also.
I have one very similar, with an electric motor on the back. I'll share a picture when I get my camera recharged.

If you want to do some research - Standard was bought by Osann, and they had a lot of industrial machines. Singer bought Osann, and in the process also acquired the patents and names Osann had from Standard. So you won't find anything about Singer buying Standard because Osann was in the middle. Though your machine does not really have anything to do with that other than the name.

If you look at pictures of the Hexagon machine made by Standard (it's a vibrating shuttle machine) you'll see that some of them have the exact same decal pattern as yours. Singer was very good at using up "leftovers" when they bought out other companies.n It's very neat to see one of those "in between" machines.

Last edited by Macybaby; 07-04-2021 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:00 AM

I have a Wheeler and Wilson machine. When Singer bought them, they produced a Singer W9 that is identical except for decals. Using up the leftover parts.