I think I'm in love!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:13 PM

Default I think I'm in love!

I'm giving this machine a test run. I've never tried to FMQ with one before. I did all the piecing on the machine, it sure does feed nice.

After getting the block together, I put on the aftermarket foot (from April 1930) and gave it a whirl. Please forgive my poor skills, I've done very little FMQ. I have rayon thread on top, and should mess with the tension a bit more. I wanted to see how the machine would handle something different.

It's pretty neat, you can have the pedal full speed and keep up with it quite well. Wish I'd had one of these when I was doing the lap quilt for my Mom, it's working out way better than my main machine did. But to be fair, I didn't have a foot like this either.

I'm glad I've got another 15-91 and a 15-90 to keep, or I may not want to give this one up!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:29 PM

Why in this world would you give it up? You like it don't you? Keep it.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:31 PM

Oh, I would keep the 15. I have two and love them both! Great for FM, I piece on one and FM on the other one!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:33 PM

This one was destine for a new home before DH fixed it up. I like to give them a good shake down before they leave. I ended up with a few extra 15's as they were the most common machine in the cabinets I was collecting. DH and I have no intention to keep fixing up machines other than to find homes for the ones we don't intend to keep. I have 20 different Singer cabinets, and there is one more I'm looking for.

The person interested in this machine is interested in FMQ - so I wanted to see how it would perform in that function- I had to quit for the night - I'm getting tired and making mistakes. It's good practice for me too.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Awesome!!!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:18 AM

I have this same machine. Bought it at an estate auction some 40 yrs ago. Cabinet and all attachments. $30--This is the one machine you would have to pry from my cold dead hands. She quilts through every and any thing I've ever put under her feet. She has never needed to be repaired. The last quilt was for my nephew to take camping -it was only 70x70 and it weighed 32lbs. He sleeps on it in his tent.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 AM

Is this the machine you are testing out for me? I hope so, it looks awesome
Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Sheri - sent you a PM

Here is the block with the quilting done. Good practice - which I need LOL!!

For the test run, I put the machine in a treadle cabinet that has not been refinished yet. The roughness of the cabinet made it a bit harder to move the block around. I think if I were to do this regularly, I'd either finish a cabinet to a very smooth, durable surface, or make a table like I did for my main machine.

We modified this cabinet so the machine sits proud of the surface, and then the plywood extension slides in place. It is cabinet grade plywood finished with about 6 coats of hand rubbed Salad Bowl finish - it's very slick and durable. This is the same finish I used on the wood countertop for my Baking Center.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:32 PM

Great pattern, is there a pattern or did you make that up? Good job quilting, and is it all one quilt.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:25 PM

I find pictures I like online and then make up my own pattern. This one I wanted rectangular instead of square, so started out with rectangles and went from there. The block is about 12" x 16". I may use it as the front of a machine cover, so didn't have any exact sizes to worry about.

I have a lot of experience sewing, but not much with quilting, so I'm in the "learn by making mistakes" phase. I'm not against buying patterns, but so far what I've done has been easy enough to figure out.