Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I think we've gone crazy! Vintage machines left and right! >

I think we've gone crazy! Vintage machines left and right!

I think we've gone crazy! Vintage machines left and right!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:43 PM

Nanamoms, I've been wondering how to set some of them up so that they are available for use. The 66 Red Eye (Colette) has already found a spot in the guest bedroom. Maggie, my first 99, also has a cabinet in my sewing room. The others may be displayed on shelves in the attic, which is finished space so they will be seen and enjoyed. Still knocking some ideas around in my head. But I have to believe things will slow down. Where will we put them all? I'll need your professional organizer!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:43 AM

Nice! Good husband too, don't trade him for a sewing machine by mistake tho! LOL
Old 09-11-2012, 04:44 AM

Pinkcastle - you and your DH are kindred spirits to me and my DH! It is so much fun to look for machines together! My DH always says "you don't need any more sewing machines" but he is the first to spot them at flea markets and antique stores and insist that I buy it! Each one is just so unique!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by janegb View Post
Nice! Good husband too, don't trade him for a sewing machine by mistake tho! LOL
I don't think there's a chance of that happening! He is definitely a keeper!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
Pinkcastle - you and your DH are kindred spirits to me and my DH! It is so much fun to look for machines together! My DH always says "you don't need any more sewing machines" but he is the first to spot them at flea markets and antique stores and insist that I buy it! Each one is just so unique!
lovely, we have been having the best time hunting for vintage sewing machines that need homes. Sometimes I wonder why are we doing this? It just seems crazy and a month ago it wouldn't have occurred to us to even buy one. I don't have a solid reason for it, but there it is. (Actually this board may have put the tiniest bug in my ear!) And you are right, my DH seems to spot them before I do - although not always!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 AM

My husband brought home a 1923 White Rotary from an auction for 7 bucks. Since then (a few months later) I have two more, there would be more if money wasn't tight Hubby is the one to blame for my obsession. I have cut myself off until I can fix up the ones I have. For me it's the beauty and craftsmen ship that went into these machines (and cabinets). Even the ones in a sad state draw my eyes, works of art that demand adoration no matter how badly neglected.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by JuliaG View Post
For me it's the beauty and craftsmen ship that went into these machines (and cabinets). Even the ones in a sad state draw my eyes, works of art that demand adoration no matter how badly neglected.
That's the key for me as well, both with the sewing machines and my antique woodworking tools. There's something just plain 'right' about the looks of some of the machines - the 99, 128 and some of the hand crank models in particular. Along side that there's the ornamentation - some of the Singers and the Frister & Rossmann are just peacock perfect in their ostentation.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:21 PM

Lovely machines!! They all look great to me.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:28 PM

I think we're going to have to scale it back some...after the Free that we're going to take a look at tomorrow, and the later model 66 in a nice looking cabinet that I found on Craigslist, and the 201 that SWMBO seems desperate for and, maybe, the rough 27 that I'm bidding on....

The 128 arrived today. The machine is in nice shape but the bentwood case is the worse for shipping . The dome's fine but some of the base is split (probably because the cardboard was flexible enough to let the machine's weight tear it out) and I need to figure out how to repair it.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
I think we're going to have to scale it back some...after the Free that we're going to take a look at tomorrow, and the later model 66 in a nice looking cabinet that I found on Craigslist, and the 201 that SWMBO seems desperate for and, maybe, the rough 27 that I'm bidding on....

The 128 arrived today. The machine is in nice shape but the bentwood case is the worse for shipping . The dome's fine but some of the base is split (probably because the cardboard was flexible enough to let the machine's weight tear it out) and I need to figure out how to repair it.
Check out J Miller's tute on how to fix cases. He is amazing and has quite a few machines. I have a case that I should try to get fixed. My Singer Sphinx is in it. I believe I now have 8 or 9 vintage with the 201 I bought tonight.