Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I think we've gone crazy! Vintage machines left and right!

What a nice collections of the oldies and goodies.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

those are simply beautiful machines! i'm laughing at your story, though, because i'm living the same one! we've bought 3 vintage machines in the past month - and i thought i was bad. i was thinking i needed to join a 12 step program for machine addicts, but after reading everyone's stories . . . now i think i need to buy MORE!

Quote Originally Posted by oregongirl View Post
    those are simply beautiful machines! i'm laughing at your story, though, because i'm living the same one! we've bought 3 vintage machines in the past month - and i thought i was bad. i was thinking i needed to join a 12 step program for machine addicts, but after reading everyone's stories . . . now i think i need to buy MORE!
    The members of another group I'm a member of (dealing with antique woodworking tools) humorously refer to themselves as "The support group from hell". Sort of like going to an AA meeting and being handed a single-malt to help you relax before speaking in front of a group

Blog Entries
    You have the start of a beautiful collection. You and DH have great taste and a good eye for machines. Sewing machines in cabnets make wonderful endtables. After 22 machines you have to get creative on where to put them.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
    I think we're going to have to scale it back some...after the Free that we're going to take a look at tomorrow, and the later model 66 in a nice looking cabinet that I found on Craigslist, and the 201 that SWMBO seems desperate for and, maybe, the rough 27 that I'm bidding on....
    Well, the Free didn't work out - something about it just didn't talk to us. In fact we did an antiquing run yesterday and didn't bring home a single machine! Didn't win the 27, either. It won't last through the weekend, I'm sure.

I think we can officially dispense with the 'think' part of the subject. Three more machines followed us home today - all in cabinets. A 66 (that we bought mainly for the cabinet), a 201-2 (that we bought inspite of the art deco cabinet - though it's growing on us some) and a 15-91 (once again, for the cabinet but the machine looks like it will clean up beautifully.)

It's just plain a fact now - we've gone crazy.

Blog Entries
    I think we can officially dispense with the 'think' part of the subject. Three more machines followed us home today - all in cabinets. A 66 (that we bought mainly for the cabinet), a 201-2 (that we bought inspite of the art deco cabinet - though it's growing on us some) and a 15-91 (once again, for the cabinet but the machine looks like it will clean up beautifully.)

It's just plain a fact now - we've gone crazy.
    It is a good crazy, though!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    I think I am becoming a machine collector. Only I collect any electric , hand readle and children's my best friend thinks I'm mad.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    I think I am becoming a machine collector. Only I collect any electric , hand readle and children's my best friend thinks I'm mad.
    Well, for obvious reasons, we don't think you're mad. This vintage sewing machine thing is quite addictive, but oh, so much fun!

What lovely machines! I really like the 15 with the Tiffany decals. I started really going crazy with machines last year...now that I'm looking at houses, I find that I'm trying to envision them filled with my...um...collection. Enjoy them!
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

I'm so jealous!! I grew up in a household with a treadle machine in a beautiful cabinet...not that my mother ever used it. It may have belonged to her mother or grandmother. How I wish I had it now!

Have you checked this out on Ebay? I remember playing with one of these boxes as a kid. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VINT...item20cb38d5a5

Quote Originally Posted by LoisM View Post
    Have you checked this out on Ebay? I remember playing with one of these boxes as a kid. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VINT...item20cb38d5a5
    I don't think we're going to go there quite yet. We seem to be bent on acquiring as many machines as possible in a short time. I don't quite understand it, but there it is. At some point we're going to run out of money. Actually this is our 25th wedding anniversary splurge. It will quiet down soon or is that tempting fate?

I think my winter projects are lining up:
    66 - Grungy and the decals aren't in great shape so it will be the one I start and learn on, also rewiring
    99 (Maggie) - SWMBO wants this one working so it's next on the agenda
    66 (Colette) - My treadle machine and I want it working so it's next. Mostly just clean and lube the mechanicals
    221 - Looks very, very clean but I need to repair the latches on the case
    201 - Probably minimal work to be done as it was being used until recently
    99K (Maddie) - Doesn't look to need too much work, just general cleaning
    115 (Victoria?) - Dirty and dusty, needs all of the metal cleaned/polished and general going over
    128 - Rewire and light clean up. Fix the case
    15-91 - Heavy duty clean up
    Frister & Rossmann - fix the case and see if I can get the machine working
    It's hard to belive we just started this

And then there were more. Today we checked out a Craigslist ad for an 1889 (I haven't double checked the date yet) 28 hand crank. Pretty machine with the coffin case, original owners manual and full suite of attachments.* He also had a 48K that was in a little rougher shape but the decals are sure pretty. Oh, and a New National by New Home with a fun base and whose decals actually look to be in very nice shape under the grunge. And then on the way home we stopped at an antique store, from which an interesting looking New Home with very colorful decals followed us to the car.

At least the Red Eye in the parlor cabinet didn't come along - though after seeing it Herself agreed with Charlee that the parlor cabinet isn't all that large so I'm on the look out for one in a lighter wood than the one we looked at today (and hopefully without a machine as the 115 would work perfectly there.)

[Edit] Looks like the attachment manager mangled the order of the pictures so I'll leave it up to the reader to associate the verbage with the correct pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

pinkCastle....they are all beautiful!!

I had a parlor cabinet that I finally gave away because in my opinion it made the room look dark/crowded. I think it was the fact that there was no light coming through from underneath and the wood was quite dark even though in pics it looked a lot lighter.
    ~~Cathy~~

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    pinkCastle....they are all beautiful!!

I had a parlor cabinet that I finally gave away because in my opinion it made the room look dark/crowded. I think it was the fact that there was no light coming through from underneath and the wood was quite dark even though in pics it looked a lot lighter.
    We were both surprised how small the cabinet was but the walnut finish was just not right for the house with its mostly light oak floors and trim.

Blog Entries
    I've lost count how many machines I have right now. It is very addictive isn't it?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I've lost count how many machines I have right now. It is very addictive isn't it?
    You've got that right! These are all machines that we've picked up since mid-August. Not all of the machines, just some that we haven't yet moved beyond the dining area.

Blog Entries
    perter than fine china!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

You've got that right! These are all machines that we've picked up since mid-August. Not all of the machines, just some that we haven't yet moved beyond the dining area.
    How do You EAT off of those Things? LOL
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

Quote Originally Posted by icon17 View Post
    How do You EAT off of those Things? LOL
    We don't. Got to be good for the waistline, right?

Blog Entries
    I guess I only have about twenty machines but I had to slow down due to going back to work but I am getting ready to retire again. The last time only lasted a month. I am in the market for a longarm now.
    You will get what you expect to get.

QuilterGary, which longarm are you considering and why?

and still more...

A 66 that we bought off of eBay because the seller was threatening to part it out and a 101 added for completeness (yes, it would/will need rewiring but I'm not too afraid of that.) The 66 is our third but is quite possibly the most pristine machine we've got - pictures don't begin to do it justice even at their original resolution. The depth of the decals is amazing, I've seen hints of it from other machines with this decal set but wow!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast