I want a chain stitch machine

Old 11-08-2013, 08:08 AM

Default I want a chain stitch machine

So what would you reccomend I look for?

As for what I intend to do with it? Mostly I just look at them and collect parts for them. I'm pretty undemanding of most of my machines LOL!!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post

As for what I intend to do with it? Mostly I just look at them and collect parts for them. I'm pretty undemanding of most of my machines LOL!!
Me to. We buy 40# bags of dog food and the chain stitch at the top is fun to unravel. I've wondered if maybe chain-stitching could be used as a basting stitch. I have a child's toy #40 and occasionally play with the chain stitch. I would like to find an inexpensive 403G (or is it a 401, 411?) as I think Miriam indicated it could be set to chain stitch or any other inexpensive machine that might work. I'm finding they are rare and expensive. But, then I tell myself we have to start selling instead of acquiring.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post

If you are looking for an antique machine I have no idea.
If you are looking for a machine that can be used and will provide other sewing pleasures go get a 158 series Kenmore. I have had two of them, sold one, that did the chain stitch. Excellent machines and with the cams you can go nuts with designs. Very strong sewers too. Accessories include button hollers, monogrammers, footsies of all types as well as the chain stitcher thingy.
My keeper is a 158-15570. They are or were made by Maruzen / Jaguar and I can find no faults with them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445627[/ATTACH]
Here's the only pic I have of mine. It must be good, Pollyanna likes it ... .

Joe

Joe
Attached Thumbnails picture-001.jpg  
Old 11-08-2013, 10:24 AM

I didn't know the 158 series Kenmore could do that! I want one of them anyway! DH passed up on one cheap at the Goodwill, and he's been kicking himself since. He went back a few days later but it was gone.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:49 AM

ok- my husband thinks I already have two machines that will do the chain stitch - the 401G and the 500. They both have this little extra lever by the take up arm.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Me to. We buy 40# bags of dog food and the chain stitch at the top is fun to unravel. I've wondered if maybe chain-stitching could be used as a basting stitch. I have a child's toy #40 and occasionally play with the chain stitch. I would like to find an inexpensive 403G (or is it a 401, 411?) as I think Miriam indicated it could be set to chain stitch or any other inexpensive machine that might work. I'm finding they are rare and expensive. But, then I tell myself we have to start selling instead of acquiring.
you need the G model to do the chain stitch
Old 11-08-2013, 03:43 PM

I have a Baby Lock Cover stitch machine which also does a chain stitch. BL also has a top of the line serger that has these two features.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

DH let's the little guy run with the stitching on the bad of dog food. Brutus favorite thing to do. ?
Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Old 11-08-2013, 04:27 PM

Back in the 60's I had a slant needle Singer Touch and Sew and it did the chain stitch. I used it a lot for making all the princess A-line dresses fit like a glove. Saved hours with the stitch ripper. Wish I still had that machine.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA View Post
Back in the 60's I had a slant needle Singer Touch and Sew and it did the chain stitch. I used it a lot for making all the princess A-line dresses fit like a glove. Saved hours with the stitch ripper. Wish I still had that machine.
too bad you live so far away....