Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Joe,   here's  the half breed  singer >

Joe, here's the half breed singer

Joe, here's the half breed singer

Old 02-04-2015, 06:34 PM

Default Joe, here's the half breed singer

There's a long story here. these will show what this looks like.

S/N LA 820342 singer sewmaster 179
[ATTACH=CONFIG]508841[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508843[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508844[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508846[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508847[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508848[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508849[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508850[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508851[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0518.jpg   100_0516.jpg   100_0521.jpg   100_0523.jpg   100_0522.jpg  

100_0519.jpg   100_0512.jpg  
Old 02-05-2015, 06:38 AM

Didn't you show us an ad saying those machines weren't real Singers but are Philippine counterfeits instead?
They've done everything possible to convince people it's a Singer. I think it would be more accurate to describe it as "Sewmaster" brand with the model being "Singer". I would hate to try to convince someone selling it of that though given how reluctant most sellers are to change ads to reflect the truth.
Rodney
Old 02-05-2015, 06:55 AM

Can you share an of the "long story"? I happen to have a Singer RAF 15K and it looks very much like this. It has the knob on the bed to drop the feed dogs and the same style Singer badge. So many people say that a knob on the bed to drop the dogs means it's not legitimate Singer, but mine has a serial number that does check out on the website.

I would love to hear what the story is here. Here is picture of my machine for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0202-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 02-05-2015, 07:59 AM

What does that model plate say, under the Singer badge? Looks to me like it says 15K.
Well, duh, after I hit post, I scrolled up and sure enough, that is what it say. Doesn't it mean , if it has a K, that it was made in the UK? I have a 185K, made in Great Britain.

Last edited by Yooper32; 02-05-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 AM

10X,

I have never seen one of those in person or in a pic. That's a strange looking beast for sure. I don't know enough about the foreign made Singers so this is just my personal opinion.

It's either a Chinese or Indian made Singer, or a fake that someone's gone to extraordinary measures to convince people it's a Singer. Either way ... I like it.

The head looks like a 66 like you said and the rest a 15. Really cool.

Now, how does it sew?

Joe
Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 AM

is everyone getting all the pic's of this thing ? I must have put to many in a single post.

Joe it's sewing of to fair at this point, That tensioner is homemade, it's not getting the take up spring action it needs, after the link you posted I now know it should have a 201 style tensioner.

with the LA s/n it should be made in philipines according to web sites. a call to singer USA and I get " we have no records of that number " but looking at singers web site sometimes at the very bottom it will have LA made after 1959. Then look an other time and thats not there.

I should have taken the face plate off this and a 66 and shown that, inside again it's half and half

last night I did find pictures of two of these, one is on needle bar, The other was some blog, those could have been the same machine, both looked unused. but both don't show the face plate well enough to see the bent over top section at the take up lever. The blog say it's made in Hong kong, neither give a S/N

now every part has the word singer on it, under the bed singer is cast into the bed.
now go to the nostalgic machines ( there all 15's) a friend has one , she got in the early 80's and had never been plugged in. That machine has singer cast in the bed and singer on every part.

now on this site, in the past any time arguments came up on these nostalgic machines. There words was if it has singer cast in and on the parts. it's a real singer. with no singer then it's a clone. ofcourse this would be over the sphinx design .

Then some would bring up the RAF design, only a few knew about those. some would say the RAF's were 66's
this came from the FRED stash, Mrs fred was a wd 40 user, most all the gold is gone, there is no silver backing.

As soon as I saw the cabinet I knew what part of the world used the door design, it was falling part and tore up, plus the top painted gold and had a 15 clone inside. This was the very first machine to leave that trailer. next was the black singer with the small red S badge.

In the weeks of researching this thing, I looked many time at Philippines web sites.. I did find cabinets like this, but with what they call a 15ch 179 machine (15 clone. 179 = drop feed)

The day after calling singer USA, I went to singer philipines web site and bingo as soon as the site opens, up pops a red screen Basically saying any machine under the names used there as in sewmaster ect and 15ch was a fake / bogus by day 2 the red screen no longer pop'd up. There was something on that screen giving the impression that it came from the real singer co.

I kinda wonder because of there employee using the terms fake / bogus , those just don't come off as a legit term LOL.

something odd is the paint job, in the pic's you see it very rough/scratched up each area has a whitish look. This was primed then painted black
on top the arms the words are " The singer company "
anyway I'm hoping it is a fake, It's not a clone, so would it be called a fake ? I called it a half breed, but is more like a 3 breed. so far it uses parts of 3 different singer design's.

so in todays world after this singer sell out, it could be that different singer co's don't get along to well.

O today, you can buy a brand new singer treadle in a cast iron stand for $235 USD
Old 02-05-2015, 10:16 AM

10x I didn't even notice the 66/15 combined head piece. That is one really odd machine. It sure has to be frustrating not finding concrete answers for why it is what it is.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:35 AM

finding the answer is a part of the why we do this.

sewnsew I did a post on asking you questions, I don't see it here

your machine whats the serial number mostly the letters

whats the wording on top the arm

do the parts under the bed have the word " singer " then a part #
Old 02-05-2015, 11:08 AM

Remember the Johnny Cash song "I got it one piece at a time" about a Cadillac cobbled together from various years? This may be a one-of-a-kind.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
finding the answer is a part of the why we do this.

sewnsew I did a post on asking you questions, I don't see it here

your machine whats the serial number mostly the letters

whats the wording on top the arm

do the parts under the bed have the word " singer " then a part #
The serial number is ET 046515 dating the issue of the serial to 1961. The web says it's a 15k110. The top of the arm says "The Singer Manufacturing Company" and it's made in Great Britain. Parts all say either Singer or Simanco and have numbers.