Junky bobbins

Old 10-14-2010, 09:40 AM

My Singer is also very particular about bobbins. It's not just how big around they are, either. They are slightly curved--like a yo-you not flat like most bobbins & they are tinted a slight purple color. They will work in my Elna but my Elna bobbins nor plastic prewounds will work in the Singer. A dealer told me they prefer the cardboard prewounds and tear off the top side. I use my Elna for quilting most of the time so I never got around to testing the cardboard prewounds. I do know that the Singer dealers carried the correct size bobbins for my machine--Quantum Futura CE-200. I don't know if the new models use the same bobbins as mine however. The machine looks similar but I didn't take out the bobbin to compare.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 AM

Why would you not want to use the new emb. machine. I use mine for everything, have had it three years already and not problems. Mine is a Janome 10001 and does both emb. and regular stitching, all the fancy stitches etc. Why frustrate yourself with the machine that won't do what you want it to.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:57 AM

I don't use my embroidery for all my sewing. I like to work on quilting or sewing when my Embroidery machine is doing it's own thing. I know a lot of people that do no use their embroidery machines for regular sewing...
Old 10-14-2010, 12:51 PM

I also have old Singer that takes a very specific metal bobbin. I can occasionally find them online , but prefer to get them at my local Sew and Vac. They are very good about getting it right, and no issue if for any reason it does not work.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
I don't use my embroidery for all my sewing. I like to work on quilting or sewing when my Embroidery machine is doing it's own thing. I know a lot of people that do no use their embroidery machines for regular sewing...
I used mine for all my sewing at first but the extremely small neck was extremely frustrating when dealing with anything larger than 12". My paper piecing kept smacking into the side and skewing & the needle plate has a lip on it that causes a speed bump when piecing. I bought the Elna for quilting and use the Singer for embroidery while I'm quilting. It is also my "spare" machine if the Elna has to go to the hospital & I have withdrawal before it gets well enough to come home. Only happened once.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:22 PM

ok, first of all, you need to find your model number of your singer sewing machine---you really cannot buy bobbins for Singer machines without this---there are so many different kinds and the ones at JoAnns are generic
Now you can google: singer sewing machine #____ bobbins and companies that carry them will come up or you can try www.sewingmachinesplus.com/singerbobbins and find your model number and click on it---if you cannot find it on the list, then contact them via email---they are very nice people
Old 10-15-2010, 03:20 AM

Thank you all for your responses. Yesterday was a busy day for me I was making purses and swithching bobbins so I didn't read the responses till this morning. My singer is a dandy, its actually the one that I used when I was in a high school sewing class. When the remodeled several years ago they were throwing them away and a friend of mine was part of the construction crew and grabbed one. Its nothing fancy, Singer Graduate II model 724. I just love her even though shes not perfect. I was so tempted yesterday to replace her but I cooled down and just made due.

Here she is aint she a beauty, we have a lot of history, love her.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107299[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-107294.jpe  
Old 10-15-2010, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
Why would you not want to use the new emb. machine. I use mine for everything, have had it three years already and not problems. Mine is a Janome 10001 and does both emb. and regular stitching, all the fancy stitches etc. Why frustrate yourself with the machine that won't do what you want it to.
It sounds like you have a much better emb. machine than mine. I just like to play on the safe side with such an expensive purchase. I've a singer futura. Theres also other reasons, Its not in a recessed table, the throat is way to small for quilting, I just find it overall harder to use when doing basic sewing. If I should need a fancy stitch or embroidery is the only time I use it. To me its like putting on a three piece suit to go slop the hogs.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by fktsewing
ok, first of all, you need to find your model number of your singer sewing machine---you really cannot buy bobbins for Singer machines without this---there are so many different kinds and the ones at JoAnns are generic
Now you can google: singer sewing machine #____ bobbins and companies that carry them will come up or you can try www.sewingmachinesplus.com/singerbobbins and find your model number and click on it---if you cannot find it on the list, then contact them via email---they are very nice people
Good idea, I've always just bought the ones that look like they are the same. I don't have a manual to go with it, maybe I should try to find that to...oh gosh heres where the A.D.D. starts kicking in! LOL
Old 10-15-2010, 03:48 AM

It may be as simple as turning the bobbin over so the thread comes from the opposite direction. I find my old Singers (1930's) are not as fussy as the new machines. Also sanding the edge will leave non-visible burrs; I would caution against that. I always get the "Singer" brand and have never had a problem. My new Vikings have bobbins that can only go in in one direction, eliminating those problems. Also clean your bobbin area, it may have something in there you can't see.