Kenmore 158.17540

Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 PM

Default Kenmore 158.17540

I just bought this machine at a thrift store today, the stitch length is real short and the stitch knob, or the one I think is the stitch length knob does not change the stitch at all. I hadn't oiled it yet, it runs real good. Has anyone had this problem or has this machine? I really need a manual. I will try the Sears web site. Do any of you have a suggestion on where to find a manual?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I'm not sure what your machine is like. I do know that I've had to spend a LOT of time oiling the inside works of most 158s I've run across. You will have to oil anything that might remotely move. Some times the oil just dries out and sticks the machine up like glue.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:58 PM

Thanks Miriam, I am going to put the oil to her and see what happens.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:18 PM

Besides oiling everything that looks like it should move, take the top off and look down behind the knobs on the inside.
Kenmores have very complex controls and without a manual it's often difficult to get them to work correctly.
Make sure when the stitch length knob is turned, it does move the linkage inside the machine. We had a Kenmore here not long ago that had a roll pin missing in the stitch control assembly.

I have machines that are close to yours model number wise, but I can't say for sure how yours works. Even one model apart will have differences to the controls.

A manual is mandatory for these Kenmores in my opinion. Sears "should" have one for your model.

Joe
Old 07-02-2014, 04:19 PM

I got it all oiled up, it runs real quiet. There is a knob on the back above the motor, it has a + and - on it, I am just wondering what that is for. The only thing is it has the shortest stitch length. I will take the top back off and move the stitch dial and see if I can tell anything. I don't know what I am looking for but I will see. Thanks Joe.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:53 PM

The + and - knob is your stretch balance. If you're doing an overlock or stretch stitch, and it's not touching, you can kind of accordian the stitch with that knob. Do a forward/backward stitch, and turn the knob one way and see what it does. Then turn it the other way and see what it does. for most stitches, it will stay right in the middle.

The short stitch length could just be something gummed-up. I did have an old White with a broken part on the inside. That machine not only had no control of the stitch length, but there was no back-stitch either. So, if you've got a back-stitch, you're probably just gummed-up.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:54 PM

I did oil some more around in the top where the stitch regulator is, it is making a bigger stitch now. I will check with Sears parts and see if I can get a manual. Thanks. Sandy
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

It isn't just the dial - the linkage can gum up worse than anything.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:17 PM

Oil can take a while to penetrate and dissolve the old gunk. Maybe try adding a little kerosene to thin it out?
Another thing that may speed things up is to use automatic transmission fluid. I'm not going to suggest that you use it routinely (we already had a discussion about that in another thread ) but the extra detergent properties may help in this case to dissolve old varnished oil and get things unstuck.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Thanks to all of you. I will try all the suggestions.