Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore 158.353 handcrank.err Not >

Kenmore 158.353 handcrank.err Not

Kenmore 158.353 handcrank.err Not

Old 12-23-2017, 01:47 PM

Default Kenmore 158.353 handcrank.err Not

Last night I was messing with my Kenmore. Terrible wiring so I just pulled off the motor and turned it by hand. Hey, that boss looks familiar. I grabbed a handcrank and it would hold on, just a bit wobbly. OK but would it work? No. The boss was farther back than on a Singer. The crank did not line up to the center of the clutch release knob and only worked well for about 80 degrees. Oh well, maybe someone else won't try this endeavor now. And now the machine is ready once I get power to it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]585901[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]585902[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-front-b.jpg   kenmore-handcrank-mishap-b.jpg  
Old 12-24-2017, 04:25 AM

Gotta love that color.

Marcia
Old 12-24-2017, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Last night I was messing with my Kenmore. Terrible wiring so I just pulled off the motor and turned it by hand. Hey, that boss looks familiar. I grabbed a handcrank and it would hold on, just a bit wobbly. OK but would it work? No. The boss was farther back than on a Singer. The crank did not line up to the center of the clutch release knob and only worked well for about 80 degrees. Oh well, maybe someone else won't try this endeavor now. And now the machine is ready once I get power to it.
We need a "Universal Hand Power" unit as seen on the bottom left of page 11 of http://digital.hagley.org/islandora/...m/PDF/download
I have only seen the pictures of these -- sure wish I could figure out how to make one. I've got a few machines that could use something like that. There is another one made for drop-head machines but I can't find the link to that one.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the link. It looks a lot like the kind of crank sometimes seen on old mills for coffee, etc. except those are usually geared. Perhaps a modification to accept a belt..... makes me wonder about trying something with a bicycle crank/sprocket

Rob
Old 12-24-2017, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
... There is another one made for drop-head machines but I can't find the link to that one.
Found it - page13 of http://digital.hagley.org/islandora/...m/PDF/download
That would be good for those treadles that are missing the parts to treadle.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:46 PM

Sew-classic sells a loosy-goosey but serviceable aftermarket handcrank set for next to nothing. I put it on a 66 a couple of years ago, and it has worked (and rattled) perfectly ever since. You do need a spoked wheel (or some clever workaround?) to use it. (Sew-classic sells those too, I think.) No, I don't work for Sew-classic, but it is my favorite place to get these odds and ends.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:24 AM

Janey, thanks for the links. I've considered making something like that for several machines.

Brass Head. Yes, I have the Chinese cranks ( pictured above) and vintage ones. Chinese are serviceable but not exciting
Old 01-18-2018, 12:38 PM

HEY, LeonF, did you get the machine running? I might be having one just like yours headed my way. Any innards plastic or nylon? (Or haven’t you had her undressed yet?) What do you think of this as a treadle?
Old 01-18-2018, 12:43 PM

Another question, Leon - My “offer” of machine does not mention cams or anything; is that a spot for cams on top of yours? Please do tell me more about your —- 353! A Big thank you!
Old 01-18-2018, 05:46 PM

yobrosew`I didn't want to mess with electrical stuff that day, so I got it io stich hand turning the balance wheel and then put it back on the shelf. It does have an opening for a cam. I don't have one to try out. The base does not have holes for a treadle belt. I suppose one could shape some, but I'd rather start with one alreadt dome . Like a Necchi Supernova perhaps. They have plastic plugs in treadle holes.
I don't remember if it has plastic gears or not And it isn't close tonight.