Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore 158 destined for the trash??? >

Kenmore 158 destined for the trash???

Kenmore 158 destined for the trash???

Old 12-28-2014, 04:36 PM

Default Kenmore 158 destined for the trash???

First, sorry for starting a new thread. But seeing as how this is no longer a tension assembly issue, I thought it appropriate. I'll ask for the other one to be deleted.

Anyway, I do not know what the problem is with this machine.
A little recap....I have been trying to fix this machine for about a year (but in all fairness, I don't work on any of my machines during Sept to early Dec. and end of Jan to May due to school). That said, I cannot get this darned machine to sew property. I have come a long way with it, but now, I cannot get the top stitches to look right. The bottom stitches appear flawless.

I have done the following...changed the needle, verified the needle is in correctly, cleaned the machine, re-oiled the machine, re-threaded the machine (about 1000 times), checked the hook timing (looks right from what I can tell), adjusted the bobbin case tension (was very tight), took off and cleaned (wasn't really dirty) tension assembly. Yet, I still have issues with the top stitches.

Does anyone have any ideas of what else I can check or do? Maybe this machine is destined for the trash, maybe it hates me....I don't know? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Btw...this is a 158.17033

Bottom stitches. The numbers correspond to the tension number on the dial
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503985[/ATTACH]

Top stitches. Can you see the bottom thread being pulled up? The stitches are best when the tension dial is set to 1 (but some thread can still be seen). This seems abnormally low, especially seeing as how this was flannel fabric.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503986[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3584.jpg   img_3585.jpg  
Old 12-28-2014, 05:34 PM

No it is not destined for the trash. There is a problem but it's not insurmountable. I've tried googling that Kenmore model and couldn't find any pics of the machine. I've got a number of 158 series Kenmores and find them to be a most acceptable group of machines.

Yours is sewing. So just take it slow and be patient. Work on it when you can, put it back on the shelf when the frustration gets to much.

I had one 15 clone that took me 2 years of working on it off and on to get it fixed right. I ended up buying another machine that was mechanically identical and using it to put the first one right. It sews just fine now.

In your other thread you have the top tension out, so check the release pin. Make sure it's free to move without any resistance. If it feels tight or binds then take the pin out and soak the tension in denatured alcohol and clean it good. Then continue with it.

Have you read the tension instructions in the TFSR manual? { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual }? There is a lot of info in there.

Now, changing direction for a moment.
Remove the bobbin case. Put a full bobbin in it and thread it through the case tension. Hold the tension over your left hand by the string. If the case falls away the tension is too loose, tighten it a tiny bit at a time. If not, gently bounce the case. Does it drop away a little bit with each bounce? If not, the tension is too tight, loosen it a tiny bit after each test. The tension should be set so the case will drop away a bit with each bounce. I always set my bobbin tension this way first, then go on to the top tension.

Without having the machine in front of me, this is about all I can say. I hope it helps. Always feel free to ask questions. It's how we learn.

Joe
Old 12-28-2014, 06:07 PM

Joe, I was not familiar with the tension instructions. Thank you for posting that link. I'll surely check that out. I will try your suggestions with a full-loaded bobbin and the case to verify the tension. I will also maybe take that tension assembly back off and see if I can't get that stud to come out. Do you think a soak in liquid wrench would work? I don't have any denatured alcohol.

I appreciate your input. I am just at such a loss with this machine. Although it doesn't sew properly, the little that it does do is nice. I was really looking forward to using this machine. By the way, is it normal for the needle to continue the up and down movement when taking your foot off the pedal? It's like it doesn't want to stop right away. It's the only machine I have that does this. Could this be a related issue (if it is one)?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:12 PM

Rach,

I use the denatured alcohol because it leaves no residue. Oils, even the Liquid Wrench does leave a residue. Residue in the top tensions can cause trouble.
Soaking it in the LW won't hurt and might fix the problem, but a good degreasing afterwards will help a lot.
You can buy denatured alcohol at any hardware store. It's in the paint section I believe.

Joe
Old 12-28-2014, 06:20 PM

Joe, thanks for the response. At least I have another starting point with this machine.

By the way, the link you provided is very helpful, informative and has easy to follow, detailed instructions! I really appreciate you sharing that!!! It will be a great resource for finding the actual names of parts as well. I guess metal screw thingy just doesn't always cut it, lol.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:26 PM

Thingy, dohicky, thingamajig, those are all technical terms. LOL

If you have a printer, print out the TFSR manual and put it in a notebook. That way you can keep it handy and not have to go back to the computer every time you need to check something.

Joe
Old 12-28-2014, 06:34 PM

Rubbing alcohol works well for cleaning parts too and is a lot cheaper. Whatever the problem is, it's small. You're very close to having nice looking stitches. Joe's advice is right on. Work on it as the mood strikes you and stop when you hit your frustration point. I'm assuming you have a class 15 bobbin case. You may need to take the spring off it and clean your bobbin case too. A little dirt in there can keep your tension from working properly and give you the results you're seeing. If you have another machine that uses the same case, try swapping cases as a quick test.
Rodney
Old 12-28-2014, 06:43 PM

When you google for information on this machine, leave off the 158. and just use the first four numbers after the period, 1703. According to the youtube videos by niftythriftygirl, this machine has a powerful 1.2 amp motor and plenty of cams. In a discussion of this model on sewing pattern review, one owner says she had had this machine for many years and loves this machine, it will sew just about anything but knits, even though she tried changing needles, changing thread, etc. Are you using the same thread in both bobbin and on top? The thread in your bottom stitches looks shiny, but the red thread in the top stitching does not. Your sample is flannel. What does it look like when you stitch on two layers of cotton, or of layers of a heavier fabric.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
In your other thread you have the top tension out, so check the release pin. Make sure it's free to move without any resistance.

Joe
You didn't respond to this suggestion. When I saw the photo in your other threadI was thinking 'I hope she didn't drop the tiny little pin that is lodged inside that tension unit.' .... because I did, and I saw it on the floor at some point, picked it up, and realized only later what it was. It is an important part, and from what I understand, it communicates the tension setting to the rest of the machine.

Is that pin still inside the tension unit? Unless it doesn't have one.... but your manual should indicate that.

Keep calm :-) - you'll figure it out!
Old 12-29-2014, 12:13 AM

If you have a printer, print out the TFSR manual and put it in a notebook. That way you can keep it handy and not have to go back to the computer every time you need to check something.
This is a great idea. I have a spare binder, I think it would be helpful to maybe just start one. It would be a lot easier than running to the computer every time. Especially when my hands are full of gunk, which of course means washing, drying, getting the computer....it really is inefficient.

Rubbing alcohol works well for cleaning parts too and is a lot cheaper. Whatever the problem is, it's small. You're very close to having nice looking stitches. Joe's advice is right on. Work on it as the mood strikes you and stop when you hit your frustration point. I'm assuming you have a class 15 bobbin case. You may need to take the spring off it and clean your bobbin case too. A little dirt in there can keep your tension from working properly and give you the results you're seeing. If you have another machine that uses the same case, try swapping cases as a quick test.

I'll definitely try swapping out the case, I never even thought of that. Awesome idea! That would let me know if there's an issue with the Kenmore's case. I'll also try the rubbing alcohol. Not only is it cheaper, it smells a heck of a lot better than liquid wrench (not that either actually smell 'good'). Thanks for letting me know!

When you google for information on this machine, leave off the 158. and just use the first four numbers after the period, 1703. According to the youtube videos by niftythriftygirl, this machine has a powerful 1.2 amp motor and plenty of cams. In a discussion of this model on sewing pattern review, one owner says she had had this machine for many years and loves this machine, it will sew just about anything but knits, even though she tried changing needles, changing thread, etc. Are you using the same thread in both bobbin and on top? The thread in your bottom stitches looks shiny, but the red thread in the top stitching does not. Your sample is flannel. What does it look like when you stitch on two layers of cotton, or of layers of a heavier fabric.
I actually have an entire box of cams for this machine, so I'd love to get it working. It's just really frustrating that I am close, but yet....ugh. As for the thread, I have Gutermann thread on the bobbin and a cheap thread for the top. They are both poly. I was going to try using good thread for both top and bottom like another person suggested just to see if that makes a difference. I have also tried other fabrics. This machine hates lightweight fabrics, but will sew heavy fabrics like denim quite well. In fact, layers of denim is the only thing it will sew and looks 'normal'. I suspect it's because of thickness and you just can't see the flaw of the bottom thread being pulled up through...you can barely see it on the flannel. Once I get the stitches to look more even, I think I'll try a plain cotton again. I just had some spare flannel scraps laying around as I've been making rag quilts with it. My other fabrics are buried in boxes as I'm rearranging my sewing room.

Is that pin still inside the tension unit? Unless it doesn't have one.... but your manual should indicate that.

Yep, the pin is still in the unit. I had taken it off, but I put it back in when I reassembled. Thanks for checking though! That definitely could've caused some issues!