Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A little Singer 15 followed me home from the Thrift Store today >

A little Singer 15 followed me home from the Thrift Store today

A little Singer 15 followed me home from the Thrift Store today

Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 PM

Default A little Singer 15 followed me home from the Thrift Store today

I went back to the Thrift Store where I'd been stalking a sweet little Singer 15- (there's no number after the dash) and asked the clerk if I could plug it in. He brought out a long extension cord and plugged it in.

The little jewel ran like a charm. It has a straight stitch and a reverse stitch, tension control, stitch length control, and a light. I didn't take time to see if the feed dogs would drop, but I think they do. It came in a small cabinet with on tip-out drawer in the front. The cabinet will need some refinishing TLC this summer.

The "foot control pedal" is mounted inside the cabinet to the lower right. There are two large buttons on it near the inside front of the cabinet; the textured one runs the machine. I don't know if the pedal is supposed to unclip and sit in the floor, or if there should be a bar hanging down to press with my knee, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. The cabinet has an oil can clip on the left side. I'll have to find a vintage Singer oil can to put there.

My 1952 Pfaff 130 came not only with her own feet, but several Singer feet and accessories. I can't wait to see which ones work with Ms. Singer.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:44 PM

Congrats on your new machine!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Banned

great find! Singer 15's are tough little machines!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:33 PM

Congrats on your 15! There should be a knee lever for the controller. If it's missing many times the controllers were wired with a longer cord so they could unclip and be used on the floor as a foot controller.
Rodney
Old 02-24-2015, 08:10 PM

Rodney, could you tell me how to unclip the controller, or where I could find a knee lever? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2015, 07:07 AM

Caroline if I remember correctly, the controller slides upward out of its clip. If that isn't true, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you the correct instructions. I believe there are repros out there, don't know their quality, but sure you can also find originals on EBay for the knee bar.

Last edited by Cogito; 02-25-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:59 AM

The knee lever may be on the adjacent inside wall of the cabinet - so if you have not done so, look underneath and see if it's tucked up there.

The do slide right out - and if the cord is long enough to reach the floor, it's likely that is how it was used and someone just put it up there for storage. Most of them that were used with the knee lever have cords much shorter - and they won't reach the floor. It's easy enough to replace the wire if you want it longer - this style the pedal is the same.

There are a few different styles of pedals. I ave a Godzilla 66 where the pedal has a wing, and nothing mounted into the cabinet in the way of a knee lever. It's a later model foot control and looks more like newer types.

I personally don't care for the older Singer foot controls for machines I sew on regularly. I've replaced them all with more modern ones that have much finer control, and don't hurt my foot as much to use. The also don't get HOT like the older ones do. When sewing on ribbon, I've had to take breaks every 45 mn because the pedal is too hot to continue to use unless I put on a shoe, and I like to "feel" the foot pedal with the sole of my foot.

I had DH replace that one too - now I don't get a hot foot anymore!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Congratulation on such a great find!!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

pics please!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:06 PM

Congrats! And, yes, photos, please.