Long Awaited FW is HOME! ;-)

Old 03-11-2015, 10:01 AM

Default Long Awaited FW is HOME! ;-)

My long awaited Featherweight has finally arrived! In my opinion she is a beauty!! She is a 1937 in really great shape!! Case is in rough shape but I knew that, and I'm not worried about it. The FW is the main event for me!

I may have to purchase a regular stitch foot as it is not on the machine, however it is advertised. May have to contact the seller, it may have been removed.

I haven't threaded the machine yet but have plugged it in and the motor sounds nice and quiet. However, the feed dogs seem to be recessed... I am now fearing that the machine actually does NOT sew.... 'runs beautifully' is much different than 'sews beautifully'. I am going to put in a new needle and a bobbin and see if I can make it actually sew.

In the meantime, here are a couple of photos of my new baby.
Attached Thumbnails img_1364.jpg   img_1493.jpg   %24_57-3-.jpg  
Old 03-11-2015, 10:21 AM

On the far right of the picture with your attachments is the regular foot for your FW. nice machine.
Skip
Old 03-11-2015, 10:44 AM

Skip: Thanks sooo much! The foot was tangled up inside the ruffler and I didn't see it until you pointed it out in the photo!! I was just about to email the seller! Thank you!
I'm not a ditz, honestly just a bit overwhelmed and excited about my new toy!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:57 AM

You are most welcome. Your were just so excited to get your little FW you didn't see it. It happens to the best of us. We all get excited when we get a new vintage machine.
Skip
Old 03-11-2015, 12:19 PM

I have her up and somewhat running. Motor sounds quiet and smooth. I can't quite get the tension correct so far, but I'm a workin' on it. It wants to break the thread, however, I was using one of the bobbins that already had thread, (rotten thread) on it so I'm attempting to wind the bobbin with Aurifil. I may need some assistance with bobbin winding. The machine is running but the bobbin isn't winding. Going to sit down and read the manual and troubleshoot it. The problem here is very likely operator error??
Old 03-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty. Good luck with getting the feed dogs to work.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:43 PM

Divokittysmom,

I had an instance with my FW where it absolutely refused to sew. My son took a look at the machine, turned it on its back and discovered that the screw holding the feed dogs to the mechanism that operates them had worked itself out completely. So check your FW out and perhaps, if you need help, there are extremely knowledgeable folks on the board who can help you (me not being one of them, just a rank amateur!).

P.S. Your machine is a beauty for a 1937! Love it.

Jeanette

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 03-11-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: additional content
Old 03-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Thank you Jeanette! I did get the feed dogs to work!! YIPPEE!! Cleaning out some yucky grease right now and just replaced the light bulb. She's lookin' better n better!!
Old 03-11-2015, 02:46 PM

Have fun! I love my FW!
Old 03-12-2015, 07:25 AM

Good luck with your new (to you) FW. This DH of mine became the resident expert on FWs in my family (a whole bunch of sisters who sew, scattered all over this part of Tennessee) not too long ago with all the expert help we found on this wonderful board. Now he is kinda branching out into other models, since he learned so much with the FW.