Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over >

Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over

Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over

Old 11-30-2013, 03:03 PM

I nominate this Thread for an Academy Awared.

You did a real good job with words and pictures.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
I nominate this Thread for an Academy Awared.

You did a real good job with words and pictures.
Glenn did a great job with his techniques. All we did was capture him in the act.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:44 PM

What a fantastic job! Thanks for the step by step pictures and the commentary
Old 12-01-2013, 01:29 AM

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It is really helpful!
Old 12-01-2013, 01:55 AM

Beautiful job and great tute! Thanks for taking the time to do all the posting.......it had to take a long time to post, but it was sooooo worth it to see! (By the way, if either of you want to do another refinish, I just inherited my DGGM's treadle that needs a lot of TLC!)

Last edited by DebbieJJ; 12-01-2013 at 01:56 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 12-01-2013, 02:21 AM
Power Poster

What I haven't taken time to post is my failings which are many on this project. There are no pictures to prove my problems. Glenn did not finish the job - he left a lot for me to do -we were all three exhausted and Pat had food ready to eat. When I got back around to it the first thing I did was get too much something on the rag and get it stuck to the machine just a bit. I think the oil is very important. You really do have to acquire a feel for this. The good news was it was totally repairable. Then I didn't find the right color touch up paint. Flat black and gloss black are not the same color. Some how my flat black was a bit gray. Then I got some Rustolium touch up paint and the brush thing fell apart into the jar of paint. I took that back to the store. Then every place I went was out of gloss black. Finally I got some black nail polish and tried it. It is a bit too gray, too. The gloss black touch up paint is what you are looking for. I could go over that machine with the shellac again and shine it up some more. I didn't realize it was suppose to have an oil residue that gets wiped off in a few days. I kept thinking it was still wet shellac even though I know shellac dries pretty quickly. The job might have gotten done a bit quicker... I needed the cup shape wire brush for the dremmel tool to clean the metal but the store was out of those every time I went there. Finally got one... and got it stuck in my hair. Memo to self - pull hair and loose clothing out of harm's way when using power tools - even wimpy power tools. One thing to remember is that this is that this machine will still work beautifully whether the finish on it is beautiful or not. The decals are now protected. The rest is glamor. I think I can go back over it with shellac any time. Smaller containers for the various chemicals & finish would have been a huge help, too. I wonder if hand sanitizer bottles will hold that stuff? I have melted plastic cups in a nano second before - real mess. Test Test Test...
Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 AM

This might be my fault. I forgot to tell Miriam that the linseed oil will come to the surface when the shellac cures. I wipe it down again lightly with a very soft rag and then wax the machine to make it shine. You can use naptha here to remove the oil before waxing. I use less and less oil when I french polish but this takes lots of practice to keep from sticking to the surface but you will have no oil on the surface to deal with. the best thing is to wax after you have decided you are done with the polish. Let the shellac cure for a week or so before waxing. Sorry Miriam
Skip
PS small plastic bottles will melt, I use the glass traveling mouthwash bottlesfor the alcohol and one for shellac. I use a sewing machine plastic oiler to hold the linseed and to drop it on the rag. It is the one that is clear with the little puch on cap you see at Walmart etc.

Last edited by Glenn; 12-01-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

You probably said it and I missed it. Maybe I should have read this tutorial over a few times so I didn't miss something, printed it out, enlarged it and hung it on the wall in front of me while I worked. I really am a novice at this.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:31 AM

Great tutorial, I bought a 1875 Singer and needs the cleaning. I am a little bit intimidated but will definetively use this step by step picture to do it. Thanks for your generosity and the time you put into it.
Andrea
Old 12-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Wow, awesome tutorial!!!!! Thank you!!!