Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Minnesota New Model A Serial Number >

Minnesota New Model A Serial Number

Minnesota New Model A Serial Number

Old 04-16-2011, 05:39 PM

I cannot locate the serial number for my Minnesota New Model A vintage sewing machine. I am looking for the manual so I can see if I oiled it properly and also need to figure out how to load the shuttle (now that I took it out to oil the machine). Bobbin case cover says patented Aug 10, 1920 if that helps answer my Q.
Brand new to this chatroom and not even sure if I'm doing this right. Hopefully it will post in the Sewing Machine Shop with Billy et al.
Help. New Grams has been tasked with sewing baby wipes from T-shirts and I haven't sewed in ages. Really want to get back into sewing and am opting for the treadle vs my 1981 MWards machine. I too am trying to get green here.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:46 PM

someone will be able to help...... just not me. welcome to the board.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:27 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm

here is the quilt shop that will help you out! Post your question on this topic they are really good at helping!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Power Poster

You may be able to order a manual here:
http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals....922198442.html

Old machines are all pretty similar in their needs. One drop of oil wherever moving parts rub against each other and look for oiling holes in shafts. Oil the underneath part of the machine as well as up above.

You may also find information in one of the vintage sewing machine lists on Yahoo! groups.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the great info!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 PM

Default manual location

Hello! I just found a manual for my Minnesota at the Smithsonian site. Type in Minnesota sewing machine manual and it should come up in the search. While the brand is not specifically a Minnesota, it looks like one and tells you everything you need to know, including the attachments available & how to use them, I had a set of the attachments but was at a loss in how to attach & use them, now I know how!! The Burda machine listed from Sears is even older, and might help as well.
Carol V. from Pa.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:21 PM

Default One of My Minnesotas

#1 is a treadle, no letter, only Minnesota, trying to get the nerve to use it,lol
The 2nd one is in a parlor cabinet, came with a shuttle, still trying to get the nerve to use it.
#3, too far gone Minnesota A, we're repurposing into a wall lamp, will be nice. It's serial number is 430821.
Still looking for a listing of serial numbers for these .
Anyone? you can reply at zephyr33542 AT gmail com
Old 04-04-2021, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by zephyr51 View Post
.... #3, too far gone Minnesota A, we're repurposing into a wall lamp, will be nice....
Please, do not do that!!!!!!

There are some that can give an approximate date of Minnesota machines. There were multiple makers of Minnesota machines.

Can this machine be rescued?

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:35 PM

Default reply to my minnesota A post

I'm still learning how to use this forum, sorry if i make mistakes. Advice welcome!

The 3rd Minnesota A i spoke of before is WAY too far gone, missing too many parts, had been left out in the weather too long and found in the back of a local antique store, and he gave it to us. We want to make it useful so a wall lamp seems appropriate and will look good. From that antique store we got a very old parlor cabinet with such beautiful front decor and he had a Minnesota A laying around, he said it was from the parlor cabinet but the wire broke so he removed it. we go the entire cabinet and the Minn-A for $50. Hubby got more wire, and got the machine back in to the cabinet and treated the wood, OMG looks beautiful. NOW I have to figure out how to work it. It had a shuttle, one only and a bobbin I think but I have no clue how to put the bobbin into the shuttle and more. I'm so new at treadles, just scared I think. We have 3 treadles, 1 is a WHITE, and a Minn-A and a no letter Minnesota which i find NO info on. I love the parlor cabinet, just beautiful wood. Do pictures come thru here ok?
Want to know more about this group.
thanks

Old 04-04-2021, 05:15 PM

The pictures did not show up. Frequently it is because it is too large file size or one forgot to scroll over to the far right of the page to click on the "Upload" button.

There were 5 different Minnesota As, one even without an A There are a lot of good posts in the thread - Need help identifying Sears Minnesota treadle sewing machine Even in the later page/s as there are some other Minnesota's

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.