Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Minnesota A New Model A sewing machine

Minnesota A New Model A sewing machine

We recently found a Minnesota A New Model A sewing machine and were wondering if anyone could tell us the approximate age. Serial number is 47756. Thank you.

There are Sears Catalogues from the early 20th century that have been reprinted. I know there are Minnesotas in some of them, but I don't remember the models. And FYI Sears got the machines from others, so Minnesota isn't the manufacturer. Welcome aboard.Name:  Minnesota c first day.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  390.6 KB This is my Minnesota C. I assume your A uses a Vibrating shuttle under the bad.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

pslaght: Welcome, I am not able to help with your question but looking at Leon's Picture, I love the foot pedal but am curious as what the round thing is above it.

We cleaned the machine up and gave it a good oiling. The only thing broken was the belt. I just ordered a new one. The wood is not in the best condition but I think we can get that cleaned up as well and then apply a stain. For some reason it is not letting me upload the pictures at all.

Round thing is the rheostat for the foot controller. pics have to be very small to be posted. You will need to cut and punch a hole in the belt for a staple.

Thank you for your help (especially with the pictures), here goes nothing. Again, I am really just trying to get an estimate on the date of manufacture. My research shows that it is probably made by Domestic as a knockoff to the Singer 127.
    Name:  20190106_200325(2).jpg
Views: 298
Size:  82.8 KB Name:  20190106_200700(2).jpg
Views: 298
Size:  19.0 KBName:  20190106_205522(2).jpg
Views: 296
Size:  35.3 KB
    Last edited by pslaght; 01-09-2019 at 08:09 PM.

This New Minnesota A model was made from roughly 1913 to early 20's by Domestic. New Minnesota A by Davis made from 1909-1913. Later model Domestic New Minnesota A has Aug 10 1920 patent date on front slide. No Domestic dating records until mid 20's when they were bought out by White.

Jon
    Last edited by jlhmnj; 01-10-2019 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    This New Minnesota A model was made from roughly 1913 to early 20's by Domestic. New Minnesota A by Davis made from 1909-1913. Later model Domestic New Minnesota A has Aug 10 1920 patent date on front slide. No Domestic dating records until mid 20's when they were bought out by White.

Jon
    Thanks Jon,

There is no data plate on the machine. The only slide plate is under the needle and that's where we found the serial number. So you think it might be a Domestic model?

Jon,

Here is a pic of the shuttle bobbin. Name:  shuttlebobbin.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  41.2 KB

Domestic made. Uses Singer shuttle, bobbin, and 15x1 needles.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180106...lsnolinks.html

Jon,

I am sorry if I am starting to annoy you. It's just that this machine has me so excited and I am trying to solve a mystery here surrounding the approximate date that it was made. Here are pictures of the plate under the needle. The only number under this plate is the serial number.
    Name:  20190111_062257.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  31.0 KB
    Name:  20190111_062321.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  38.3 KB

Thank you for clarifying Jon's post. I am not familiar with the terminology, so I wasn't sure that the piece that I took a picture of was the front slide plate. All of the Minnesota A machines that I have seen in posts or pictures have a much larger slide plate.

I'd call it about or circa 1917 if you want to put a single date to it. This would be right in the middle of estimated dates of manufacture.

Jon

Thank you. Just one more question. We are in the process of cleaning and sanding the cabinet. Do you know if the wood used was oak or walnut or some other kind of wood?

A variety of veneer was used. Take a pic of the cabinet top and someone will recognize it.

Jon

Trying to find out what kind of wood this is so we can buy the appropriate stain after sanding.

Name:  20190112_191002.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  54.3 KB
    Name:  20190112_191050.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  42.6 KB

Blog Entries
    It is white oak. It is finished with shellac. If you use the first coat of orange shellac you may not need any stain. Then finish with two coats of clear shellac. Test in a small area first. If a stain is needed to even out the color use a medium oak stain. I use aniline dye stain either water soluble or alcohol soluble type from a wood workers supply catalog.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Thank you for the information Glenn. If they hadn't stored it in a wet environment and got paint and oil all over it, it might not have been so bad. As it is, we are just trying to get it back to its former glory and put it out as a working display/conversation piece. My wife wants to sew with it. The machine itself is not rusty at all. Only the belt was broken.

Shellac question.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    It is white oak. It is finished with shellac. If you use the first coat of orange shellac you may not need any stain. Then finish with two coats of clear shellac. Test in a small area first. If a stain is needed to even out the color use a medium oak stain. I use aniline dye stain either water soluble or alcohol soluble type from a wood workers supply catalog.
    Hi Glenn,
    It has taken me quite a while to get this baby sanded. I finally got it stained. I used Minwax Early American stain. I have a can of Zinsser Bull's Eye shellac in Amber and was wondering how that might look.

Blog Entries
    shellac will be fine and recommended although I would only one coat of amber and two coats of the clear shellac. Some times the amber if more that one coat will have a slight orange look.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Thanks Glenn,

I decided to use a rag instead of a brush because I was afraid that I would leave brush streaks. So far I have only gotten the one piece done. Took about 3 hours total with a rag. One coat of amber. The rest are clear. Here are before and after pics
    Name:  20190215_215706(2).jpg
Views: 54
Size:  122.8 KB
    Name:  20190520_172337.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  163.4 KB

wunnerful
    show

Quote Originally Posted by leonf View Post
    wunnerful
    show