Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Model number for vintage singer-look up by serial number? >

Model number for vintage singer-look up by serial number?

Model number for vintage singer-look up by serial number?

Old 04-08-2016, 04:30 PM

Mickey2, yes the cabinet does have a scuffed, unfortunate paint job, which I'll rectify after I refurbish...which I'll start after I get the manual from the sandman link. I don't like to use Paypal so I'm trying to get the site to accept my valid credit card.
Macybaby - perhaps my cabinet will look nice like yours one day! & what is a 'black side' part?
Old 04-08-2016, 04:59 PM

some of the machine with this finish has blackened parts instead of the nickel finish. Lots of different theories way Singer did this, most likely due to unavailability of product during the war.

here is a set of "black side" attachments, to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. These did not come as a special set, I've collected them out of other sets and put them all together. It's common to find one or two in a regular set, as they were nothing special at the time they were sold, just an alternative finish Singer used.

one other interesting bit about the wrinkle finish machines - Singer did not produce a flywheel guard with that finish - so these machines have shiny flywheel guards, and they came from the factory that way.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:28 AM

I see now -- thanks! Your picture is a bit intimidating because I don't know what all those parts ARE, though I can pick out a few. (googling 'flywheel guard' for instance...) Wow - black presser feet...and is that a circle of black felt for the spindle?

Though I was gifted with the machine, the givers forgot or didn't know to include its attachments & feet...so now trying to recover those, and waiting to hear back, crossing my fingers they haven't dumped the rest (the machine held no value for them...) or it'll be scavenger hunt time.

(& coincidence - the original owner who could sew anything and made many many fine quilts, was from S. Dakota.)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
Mickey2, yes the cabinet does have a scuffed, unfortunate paint job, which I'll rectify after I refurbish...which I'll start after I get the manual from the sandman link. I don't like to use Paypal so I'm trying to get the site to accept my valid credit card.
Macybaby - perhaps my cabinet will look nice like yours one day! & what is a 'black side' part?

You don't have to buy a manual for a 66. Part way down the page.

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...e-manuals.html

Cari
Old 04-09-2016, 01:39 PM

Cari - thanks!! Downloaded.
I noticed from some other thread you have/like Brother machines? Have you ever heard of a Brother Project 121? That's my original machine I'm still using...I received it used in 1978. I taught myself to sew on it with a xeroxed copy of the manual/instructions. I have the complete set of cams for it. The Brother website doesn't even refer to it.
(I'm trying to find where I put the xeroxed manual "for safekeeping" - it is now safe from me. I do recall putting it inside a sheet protector.)
It's the only one I ever had until recently. I've gotten 2 Singers, a 401 and now this 66. Both Singers need to be gone over. Currently using my beloved old Brother, "Sun".
Old 04-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Banned

I've seen pics and there's a video on Utube of a 121 but I don't have one myself. I have a Project 651 that I've never been able to use because it was damaged when shipped to me. Keep the cams with it. They so often get lost and most aren't marked to know what machine they go to. It's a vintage Brother, I bet it's a great machine.

Cari
Old 04-11-2016, 09:47 PM

It IS a great machine. He forgives me for all my 'sins' - for never cleaning or oiling it for years and still sewing all the way through time. Embarrassed to learn I was supposed to be doing that (bangs head on table) - because Mr. Sun kept and keeps on trucking...now I know. I did always keep it in its case & not in a basement or attic. He's also Mr. Magic!