Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
More Vintage Sewing Machine Tutorials Coming!! >

More Vintage Sewing Machine Tutorials Coming!!

More Vintage Sewing Machine Tutorials Coming!!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

What would we do without you. Thanks for being such a wonderful source of info to us.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by littlehud
What would we do without you. Thanks for being such a wonderful source of info to us.
Patti I bet if you ask half of the hubbies around here they probably hate me and would punch me in the mouth for getting their wives involved in collecting machines. :lol:

But on the flip side, the other half of the group is probably happy to have a hobby that they can share with their wife. That and it keeps them out of the fabric store a little more. :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 02-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Billy, my husband blames only ME for my recent old machine addiction hahahahahahahah :D:D
Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

Well I would be posting the cleaning tute but it rained here and since it involves electricity I didnt want to do it in the rain. Tomorrow it will be nice so I will do it then. So until I get that done I think I am going to hang out with you guys and gell out.....

Billy
Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM

Billy! Thanks so much!!!! I want to be able to clean and work on the machines I have- all 10 of them. :)

And now 2 sisters want me to look at theirs. It may be the start of a new business for me. I thought this was a dying art as the only guy I knew that did the repair I;m sure has passed away as he was quite ill several years ago when I last took a machine to him.

Wish you were closer to sit beside you as you do this.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

There is a little more technical stuff to servicing machines but this is the basics that you can do to service your own. And the nice thing about the early model machines is the fact that they rarely break!

But when they do I have all of the manuals to rebuild them and do what ever major surgery it may need. But it is a pretty good business to get into, I have been doing it for the last 4 or 5 years. But unlike a lot of shops I offer repaint services and I have several quilt shops that I supply machines to and service their customers vintage machines. Hey it foots the bill to buy more machines and my quilting habit!! You will not get rich doing it.:lol:

Billy
Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 PM

Billy,

Thank you so much for being willing to share all of your knowledge with us. I really appreciate you and all of your help and your wife for sharing YOU with US!!

Will be eagerly awaiting the new tutes. I just finished the cleaning on my redhead, she looks so much better. I have to order a couple of parts and she will be completely done. Then I can start on the cabinet. I keep re-reading the cleaning tutes and learn something more each time. Again. . . thanx!!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:10 PM

Oh Cool, I just purchased a beautiful New Home Treadle and can't wait to start the clean up. I will post pics later as I need some help finding the serial number.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

You know I really need to do a tute on making a new Pitman arm. I have an 1870's New Home treadle that needs a new pitman arm so I could show how to go about making a new one for it.

"How to restore a treadle"

Billy
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Billy, Thanks so much for the time and effort you put into this board and the shop. It is wonderful blessing we get to share your experience and knowledge.