Old 09-08-2010, 09:20 PM

Hope its wonderful! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 PM

What a thoughtful brother!

We can't wait to see pictures of your great find! :-P
Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM

What a sweet brother , Congrats :D :thumbup:
Old 09-08-2010, 09:46 PM

That is worth sharing, Congrats, you may have a hidden gem coming your way :)
Super sweet he was thinging of you, had probibly seen it before and it caught his eye. He gets the good brother award of the week:)
Old 09-09-2010, 12:15 PM

Your brother sounds like mine and is a joker. I'll get anything when you get there it hasn't been "out in the yard" but safely tucked away in his house. If I'm wrong, let me know, but I'll bet it's in good shape. If he wants $100 for something that's been sitting in this man's yard rotting in the weather, he wouldn't even have remembered it or told you about it. (probably)
Old 09-09-2010, 12:20 PM

My grandmother had one. I wish I had hers now. Enjoy it!
Originally Posted by Gerbie
I need to set this story up first, so bear with me please. I was talking to my brother on the phone yesterday, we live 200 miles from each other, and he knows I am into quilting, which I was doing at the time he called. Somehow the subject of other machines came up and I mentioned to him to keep an eye out for old machines. He wanted to know what type I was interested in, I thought yeah like you are really interested, but I was nice lol. (There is just the two of us, we had no other siblings, and we are extremely close, both of our parents are deceased.) I mentioned I really wanted to find a Treadle to use the cabinet to put mother's old machine in. It was a treadle to begin with and she added a motor to it in later years. This particular machine was purchased in early 1941 before my brother was born. He is the oldest. I really didn't expect him to ever give this a second thought.
Well Surprise, Surprise, Surprise, this morning when I was getting out of the shower, I heard the phone ring but missed the call and noticed it was from my brother. I called him back and he said I had just missed the most important phone call of the day, not unusual for him to make such remarks. Anyway now to the surprise, he said he had found me a Treadle cabinet. He asked me if $100 was too much to pay for one. I said I guess not, because I really wanted one and he said had found me one and he thought there was a machine in the cabinet, but he had not yet checked. He remembered a neighbor having an old Treadle cabinet that had sat out in the weather for a long time. He went over to see if he could buy it. When he asked if it was for sale and how much they wanted for it, the neighbor said because it was him if he wanted it he could just have it to get it out of the yard. He is such a big tease. All I have to do is go and get it, well, luckily we had already planned on going over there this Fri. and will be spending the night with him, so I will be able to get it then. I have no idea what shape it really is in, or even if there is a machine in the cabinet, but with refinishing and possibly a small amout of wood repair, I have a Treadle cabinet and maybe a machine in it. Sorry for the long story, but I just had to share this with everyone. I am really excited and can hardly wait until Fri.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

That is a great story. Please post pictures when you get it home!!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:26 PM

A cabinet that sat out in the weather? I went saling last weekend and a guy showed me two treadles that had set out in the rain...one cabinet had completely delaminated and the other was solid but the varnish was bubbling. This cabinet had a crummy machine in it. The other delaminated one had a rotary in beautiful condition! I'm kicking myself for not buying both....could I have moved the better machine to the better cabinet??
Also found a New Idea treadle for $50 in a cabinet that has no back. In other words, you can see the drawer holes, a persons knees (whoever might be sitting at the machine), and lots of cobwebs. I want a treadle for a picture prop and really need a back on the cabinet!! And a cool machine would just be icing on it!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:33 PM

This is great!! Sounds like you have a very special brother. It is so fun to look forward to things. :lol: :lol: :lol: