Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Daughters' Heritage: Their Great-Grandmother's 1917? Western Electric Sew-EZ Sewing Machine >

My Daughters' Heritage: Their Great-Grandmother's 1917? Western Electric Sew-EZ Sewing Machine

My Daughters' Heritage: Their Great-Grandmother's 1917? Western Electric Sew-EZ Sewing Machine

Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 AM

What a beautiful machine.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:11 AM

Wow-what a lucky girl your daughter is!! Such a great heirloom! It looks like it is right off the showroom floor! How lucky you were able to snatch it up before it was given away!!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
My husband's dear aunt had this little beauty tucked away and recently asked if anyone in the family was interested. My hubby and his sisters all said "No thank you." :shock:
I told DH to correct that impression before his aunt gave it away to the local historical society. Our two girls were very interested indeed! They both value ties to the past and our eldest, Bean, did not have a sewing machine. Turned out Bean was VERY excited about this.

So yesterday my two sweet SILs brought the Sew-EZ to our house. Even though the machine is in great condition, I hardly know what to do next. My one SIL was a home-ec teacher and she tested the machine and it works! She sewed two inches before stopping since the machine surely needs cleaning and oiling. The electrical cord is amazing for one that is close to 100 years old, but I cannot think it is safe.

Our Bean and her boyfriend are coming home for a visit this weekend. I don't know if I can get the machine shaped up in time, but it sure would be good for her to be able to take it home while they have a rental car. (Normally she flies, but her arms were too tired. :roll: )

There is hardly any information about this machine out on the internet. So I am sending out an SOS to all you vintage machine enthusiasts and am hoping you can point me in the right direction. Ours has no manual, or accessories, except 2 bobbins. And I am very leery about the power cord, but don't know how to replace it. We don't know for sure even what model this is, but it has two spool posts and only does a straight stitch. Meanwhile, I have been pouring over Billy's tutorial about how to take apart and clean your vintage machine. Not sure I have have the guts to do the "Taking apart" part of that!

Here is what little I found on the internet:
The Western Electric sewing machine was not made by Western Electric, but by the National Sewing Machine Company, Belvedere, Ill., which put Western Electric decals on one of their models.
The electric motor, however, was produced by Western Electric. Production lasted only a few years; the machine disappeared from the market by 1918.
I also found a number of amusing vintage advertisements about this machine.
Ours does not have a vibrating shuttle, but a bobbin case and bobbins. It came in a beautiful, curved quarter sawn oak case.
Here are a lot of pictures. Thanks for looking!
Thank you for blessing us with the photos.....this is an amazingly beautiful machine and the case is priceless! I agree; a photo of GGM actually using the machine would be a treasure. :thumbup:
Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 AM

One word...WOOOOOOOW!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:49 AM

Hi Lara - I have one of these gorgeous machines, too, and I also am leery of the electricals. We haven't tried replacing the wiring yet, but will be doing that this Fall.

You are right about the National Sewing Machine Company manufacturing this machine for Western Electric. Actually they only did it for 2 years, and then Western Elect decided not to sell them. You can find information on needles, bobbins and maybe a manual at the ISMACS website.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
My husband's dear aunt had this little beauty tucked away and recently asked if anyone in the family was interested. My hubby and his sisters all said "No thank you." :shock:
I told DH to correct that impression before his aunt gave it away to the local historical society. Our two girls were very interested indeed! They both value ties to the past and our eldest, Bean, did not have a sewing machine. Turned out Bean was VERY excited about this.

So yesterday my two sweet SILs brought the Sew-EZ to our house. Even though the machine is in great condition, I hardly know what to do next. My one SIL was a home-ec teacher and she tested the machine and it works! She sewed two inches before stopping since the machine surely needs cleaning and oiling. The electrical cord is amazing for one that is close to 100 years old, but I cannot think it is safe.

Our Bean and her boyfriend are coming home for a visit this weekend. I don't know if I can get the machine shaped up in time, but it sure would be good for her to be able to take it home while they have a rental car. (Normally she flies, but her arms were too tired. :roll: )

There is hardly any information about this machine out on the internet. So I am sending out an SOS to all you vintage machine enthusiasts and am hoping you can point me in the right direction. Ours has no manual, or accessories, except 2 bobbins. And I am very leery about the power cord, but don't know how to replace it. We don't know for sure even what model this is, but it has two spool posts and only does a straight stitch. Meanwhile, I have been pouring over Billy's tutorial about how to take apart and clean your vintage machine. Not sure I have have the guts to do the "Taking apart" part of that!

Here is what little I found on the internet:
The Western Electric sewing machine was not made by Western Electric, but by the National Sewing Machine Company, Belvedere, Ill., which put Western Electric decals on one of their models.
The electric motor, however, was produced by Western Electric. Production lasted only a few years; the machine disappeared from the market by 1918.
I also found a number of amusing vintage advertisements about this machine.
Ours does not have a vibrating shuttle, but a bobbin case and bobbins. It came in a beautiful, curved quarter sawn oak case.
Here are a lot of pictures. Thanks for looking!
Send a PM to Billy (Lostn51). He is the resident expert on old machines.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM

OMGosh..It's in near perfect conditon. I can't believe how nicely the decals have lasted. So glad someone who will appreciate this will have it!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM

WOWZERs, that machine is beautiful! Great save. It doesn't even look like it would need much cleaning but may need to check to see if there is dried oil on the parts just behind the faceplate.

Maybe that you are lucky and just needs a good oiling and working it in to all the nooks and crannies.

Any local electrical shop should be able to check the wires. It doesn't look like the machine was used much so the wires may have not gotten warm from use and therefore are not brittle. But if your daughter is going to use it I would change them. It is not that hard you can do it!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
Beautiful machine! How fortunate to keep it loved in the family. Is there a photo of great grandma sewing on it? Would be wonderful to at least have a photo of her to pass along with her machine.
My daughter would have loved it if there were Teresa... but I've only ever seen formal poses of their great grandmother. I have one of her beautiful wedding portraits, but it is huge. Maybe my SIL's might know of something less formal. My daughter does keep a beautiful photo of my mother-in-law in her kitchen. That way she feels like the queen of spaghetti sauce and meatballs is looking after her.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Hi Lara - I have one of these gorgeous machines, too, and I also am leery of the electricals. We haven't tried replacing the wiring yet, but will be doing that this Fall.

You are right about the National Sewing Machine Company manufacturing this machine for Western Electric. Actually they only did it for 2 years, and then Western Elect decided not to sell them. You can find information on needles, bobbins and maybe a manual at the ISMACS website.
Janice, that is so neat that you have one too! Thank you for the added information. My SIL found a couple on eBay and there was one on Etsy too. But other than that they seem hard to come by. We were not sure how long they were in production and since it was only 2 years, it is no wonder. I must be a poor internet searcher, because I had no luck on the ISMACS website.