My Estate Sale Find

Old 10-20-2018, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Wow...you are so lucky to have gotten there when you did. I've learned to always pick the item up and carry it around with me instead of thinking "I'll get it on my way out". Every time I do that it's gone!!
Oh, I have, too! I picked it up and carried it around with me. I wouldn't even let the lady running the sale hold it for me! I figured it was the only way to make sure I got it.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:21 AM

Great find, why does the orange belt have to go?
Old 10-20-2018, 08:24 AM

Woohoo! Success! Since it was rainy today and I couldn't go out to the neighborhood garage sale, I made it sewing machine day. I got the Rocketeer out of the Tutto and set it up to see how my new OSMG did. It just purrs! So next up was the new white FW. I set it up used a wound bobbin from my black FW, put in a new needle, threaded it and put fabric under the foot. It just purrs right along and makes a perfect stitch. I'm so happy with it.

The orange belt has to go because it's way too ugly to be on such a cute machine
Old 10-20-2018, 09:01 AM

Happy you found your little jewel...I was at a garage sale years ago, the garage was packed...with things, I happened to stump my toe on something, looked down and saw this green case...I knew immediately what it was, I have my mother's black featherweight...I ask the lady if it was for sale, she said yes!! it's $25. needless to say, I didn't waste anytime taking that up and paying for it...it has always sewed like a charm...I get them both down every now and then and oil and clean them up...when my daughter comes to sew with me, she uses the black one...loves it...so congrats on your find...
Old 10-20-2018, 09:24 AM

What a great find & a very pretty machine. It looks brand new.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:25 AM

Wow! I wish I could find a Featherweight for that price. Always wanted one as a B-day gift for myself but found they prices out of my budget.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Wow! I wish I could find a Featherweight for that price. Always wanted one as a B-day gift for myself but found they prices out of my budget.
Just keep looking and have patience. After looking and watching for a couple of years I went on Craigslist one day and got lucky. One had just been posted for $50 about 30 seconds before I saw it. Had to go to a fancy part of Seattle to pick it up but for that price it was worth it. A few years later I found the cabinet for it the same way, at a garage sale posted on CL for $25. Funny thing is, it's not my favorite machine. It's just too small for me to take seriously. My 7yr old GD has claimed it and it will go to her when I die if I haven't given it to her before then.

Cari
Old 10-20-2018, 02:13 PM

Thanks for sharing the fun with us. I hope to follow in your footsteps one day.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
I agree. Keep looking. I've used EstateSales.net for close to a year now looking for a white one. I think perserversance is the key. My husband bought my black one off of eBay and paid WAY too much. I'm too cheap to do that.

BTW, my husband said tonight "That machine was worth $50 even if it didn't work. I would have just put it on the shelf". Even guys think they are cute!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:49 PM

Great find, congrats! I think the orange belt adds a little something!