Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My intro to the Treadle world and my love! (Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch!) >

My intro to the Treadle world and my love! (Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch!)

My intro to the Treadle world and my love! (Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch!)

Old 10-06-2012, 09:00 PM

Default My intro to the Treadle world and my love! (Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch!)

i am currently on an antique sewing machine kick! three weeks ago i went to an antique mall, for curiosity sake and in search for a vintage doll. I turned the corner and saw this adorable little sewing machine sitting all by itself in a corner. She looked worn and used, but her cabinet was in good condition. I jotted the name down and went on my way. But the machine was stuck in my head. i was in love with it, i did some research, joined a message group (treadleon) got information and went back a week later and bought it. Brought it home and i've been slowly restoring her. It is a Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch machine. She is so adorable and wonderful. she runs like a dream and i am so in love with her! (i'm still missing the treadle belt so i havent actually been able to sew on her yet!)

I nicknamed her "Eleanor"

I've since polished her up, but its a work in progress. I love that she looks like shes seen use and is worn. almost all her decals are missing, and some paint is missing, but all her innards work and she purrs perfectly! I really dont care and in fact am more enamored with her with her worn look that im not interested in repainting her or re-decaling. (maybe one day she will get a pretty sister who will just look nice!) im still working on cleaning her up as i wait for the last remaining parts for her to come in. She was built in 1896, and is a 116 years old! I cant believe that she runs as well as she does! she runs better then my 95 car! Hahaha!

I am simply in love with this machine and cant wait to thread her and see what she can do! I just got a replacement treadle ball for the brake the other day! Yes this treadle is unique in that it actually has a brake to make sure you are treadling in the right direction! its nifty!

Are there any other W&G fans out there? I hope so!! if not let me shower you (a.k.a. it just excites me to ramble on about this beauty) with the information i've gathered!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-07-2012 at 04:38 AM. Reason: pm to member
Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 AM

Such a beautiful little machine. Congratulations.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:47 AM

I always loved the story how Gibbs saw a picture of the top half of a Grover Baker or Singer and not realizing they used two threads, he invented the one thread chainstitch due to not seeing below the bed. Brilliant.

Jon
Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 PM

Here is her Picture!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]368266[/ATTACH]

Thank you for the kind comments guys!
Attached Thumbnails eleanor.jpg  
Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 PM

I love my Wilcox & Gibbs. Mine is motorized and her name is Abby. Guess why. LOL Have fun with your great find!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:27 PM

She's beautiful!!! It may be your first but it won't be your last...lol! These old sewing machines are quite addictive.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Glenda m View Post
I love my Wilcox & Gibbs. Mine is motorized and her name is Abby. Guess why. LOL Have fun with your great find!
NCIS? I was going to name mine Gibbs for the same reason if it is. But the name Eleanor popped into my head while working on her so Eleanor she became!

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
She's beautiful!!! It may be your first but it won't be your last...lol! These old sewing machines are quite addictive.
I'm sure it won't. My treadle belt finally shipped today! So by next week I should be officially up and running!! So excited.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 PM

I was following your story on the Treadleon website. For my adorable Willcox & Gibbs, I used aquarium tubing instead of a leather treadle belt and I'm very happy with it. I always had trouble poking a hole in that round leather. I think this is the cutest machine ever! By the way. Is the ball in the treadle hard or flexible? I think I'm in need of a replacement but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Lyncat; 10-08-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lyncat View Post
I was following your story on the Treadleon website. For my adorable Willcox & Gibbs, I used aquarium tubing instead of a leather treadle belt and I'm very happy with it. I always had trouble poking a hole in that round leather. I think this is the cutest machine ever! By the way. Is the ball in the treadle hard or flexible? I think I'm in need of a replacement but I'm not sure.
I ordered a spool of treadle belt so hopefully i wont have a hard time punching a hole in it! *crosses fingers and hopes* If i cant get it, i will try the fish tank tubing! The ball in my treadle is made of Neoprene. so its stiff, but has a soft rubbery texture. it has a slight bounce to it if i drop it.

Last edited by Kittywolf13; 10-08-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 PM

She is really cute! Enjoy her