Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Kenmore 117.???  Know anything about them? >

My Kenmore 117.??? Know anything about them?

My Kenmore 117.??? Know anything about them?

Old 01-09-2012, 02:43 PM

I am considering purchasing one of these, partly for the beauty, but mostly hoping it will have a good quality stitch. What's the word on these? Stitch? Loud? How easy to obtain bobbins? Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Laura
Old 01-09-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by LauraRG View Post
I am considering purchasing one of these, partly for the beauty, but mostly hoping it will have a good quality stitch. What's the word on these? Stitch? Loud? How easy to obtain bobbins? Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Laura
Hi Laura. I haven't done much sewing on this machine yet. The stitch looked fine on the little test run I did. I didn't think it was too loud. I didn't have any trouble finding a new pulley for mine, and the same lady I bought it from sells bobbins. The light switch was messed up on mine and we did a lot of hunting but did not find one. My dh rewired it - bypassing the switch - so that if the machine is on then the light is on. No problem there - it reminds to turn it off. There is a vintage kenmore group at yahoo groups. I've joined that and you slowly learn things and names of parts sellers, etc. Check them out. One odd thing about the machine is that the hand wheel turns opposite any machine I've ever sewn on. If you get the machine, feel free to pm me with questions. maybe we can figure things out.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:10 PM

I just found this thread after purchasing a sewing cabinet with a Kenmore de lux rotary model 117.551. The exact same as yours Caroline S. It's in fully functioning order with all the original stuff (manual eat) and the cabinet is in pristine condition. I was just wondering if you could tell me how I can learn to sew with it or where I can buy replacement parts like the needles???! Thanks so much!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:26 PM

Very old post...
Welcome!
Caroline is still active here though she doesn't post much. I'm working on a slightly newer Kenmore at the moment, a 117.959. As far as I know (based on my machine and other White Rotaries I have) your machine will use standard 15x1 sewing machine needles. In case you didn't already know your machine was made by White. It turns backwards compared to Singer and most other sewing machines. It uses old style White Rotary bobbins and bobbin case. Your machine uses top-clamp feet. Ones made for White machines will fit along with those sold for Kenmore.
We use Sew-Classic.com a lot here. The owner has a very good reputation for being helpful and knowledgeable about older machines. She may have other parts that will fit your machine.
Rodney
Old 07-07-2015, 08:51 AM

The OP's machine looks just like my 117.812. I have two of them - one of them is in beautiful shape cosmetically, but was missing the stop screw on the stitch length regulator and the wiring on the light needs to be replaced.

After looking for a replacement part for a while, I found another 81 on eBay that was in rough shape, but cheap, and had the parts that I needed, so I bought that. I haven't had a chance to get it repaired yet, but my 95 sews beautifully and I'm fairly certain the 81 will too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524525[/ATTACH] This is Barney Rubble, still minus his stop screw. One of the things that I like about him is that, compared to my other machines, he's so light. Only weighs about 19 pounds, so this is the one that I'll probably take when I want to take a machine somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails img_20141125_053803.jpg  

Last edited by SherylM; 07-07-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:07 PM

Lucky you. No peeling paint. This looks like a White product. Check Ebay for White Sewing Machine Parts. They have quite an assortment. This is evidently an aluminum machine, as you mentioned it was light. The finish is good and that is rare as they are prone to peeling paint. It probably takes a bayonet type light bulb. Mine did. Good luck. Nice machine.

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 07-09-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:46 AM

Most 117 series Kenmores are White made. They are excellent machines. The stitch quality is very good. I've used both of mine quite a bit.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]524767[/ATTACH]
117-720

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524768[/ATTACH]
117-812

The bobbins are available new and there are lots of used once floating around. I see them all the time on ShopGoodWill.com.

The rubber drive pulleys are still available and there is a trick to keep them from flat spotting after installation.

I don't have a black one yet. Someday.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5319.jpg   14-kenmore-117-812.jpg  
Old 07-10-2015, 12:30 PM

Donna, I trolled eBay for quite a while looking for the part that I needed, before deciding to buy the parts machine. I never thought about looking for White parts though; I'll remember that for the next time.

One of the advantages of buying the parts machine is that I'm also going to be able to replace a missing part on my Franklin Rotary with it (my avatar pic, and also a White made machine.)

Joe, I've never seen a two-tone 117 before; that's an interesting looking machine!

I replaced the drive pulley on my 95 and keep it away from the handwheel by putting a folded up cotton square between the motor and the machine. I probably won't get around to working on the 81 until late summer or fall, but I'm looking forward to getting him done so I can use him. It won't take me long, but just too busy right now.

Mine also came with the case like yours and all the attachments and - a bonus! - it didn't smell like grandma's moldy basement, like some of my machines!

Last edited by SherylM; 07-10-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:26 PM

SherylM looks like I'm a little late but you might check ThayerRags.com. The owner (CD) is a member here. He doesn't advertise or promote his site here but he's an excellent resource for sewing machine parts. Sometimes we forget the resources we have available right here.
Rodney
Old 07-10-2015, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Rodney. I've been lurking on the boards for well over a year, but have just recently started to post. Now that you mentioned it, I do remember reading that CD sold parts but it was never on my radar while I was looking for them. Going to bookmark his site for future reference.