Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Latest Addition To My Collection >

My Latest Addition To My Collection

My Latest Addition To My Collection

Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 AM

Default My Latest Addition To My Collection

This is a Montgomery Ward Machine that I got for $15. The motor runs really strong but there are some other problems. When I opened up the face plate the small tension pin fell out. I think in order to get this back in the tension assembly will have to be removed but I can't find any instructions on how to do this. I am very familiar with the singer tension assembly but this one is quite different. I threaded the machine and tried to make it sew but of course, I knew it wouldn't. It didn't feed the fabric properly because the pressure foot isn't working properly and it made loops on the underside which is a top tension problem which has to do with that little tension pin not being in place. Also the pressure foot lifter is wobbly and doesn't catch the lever that is supposed to push in the pin when the pressure foot lever is up. I don't know how to fix that either. The stitch pattern mechanism on the top sometimes works very smooth but other times it hangs up. Could someone help me with how to fix this problem. I think it would be a very good machine is I could get these problems fixed.
Attached Thumbnails front-view.jpg   stitch-patterns-view.jpg   top-stitch-lever-doesnt-work-freely.jpg   underside.jpg   lever-should-hit-tension-pin.jpg  

presser-foot-lever.jpg   tension-mechanism.jpg   tension-pin.jpg   label.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 08:36 AM

Removing the tension assembly might involve removing that threaded piece that is to the left of the tension assembly as seen in the seventh picture.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:08 AM

I was wondering if maybe by loosening that screw if it would release the whole tension mechanism. Unfortunately, there was no manual with the machine. I really can't understand why many of these machines are found with no manuals. I guess the original owner figured that he/she knew how to use the machine and there was no need for a manual. I keep manuals for nearly everything. Seems like I am always having to refer back to the manual for a specific operation.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:43 AM

My daughter has the orange version of the same machine. The stitch selector on hers is a bit fiddly too. I think it may just be dried oil or something along those lines causing it to hang up at times.
Your threading looks basically correct. At least it's threaded the same as hers.
I don't own a manual either but if you need pictures of how it goes together I'll be happy to help that way.
Rodney
Old 07-04-2014, 01:57 PM

Another question that someone on the board may know. Is this a left homing needle machine or center?
Old 07-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

I'm thinking it might be a center homing.
There seems to be a bit of dried up oil on the slider of the stitch selector. You will need to clean those up and then re-oil. As far as the tension goes, if you are experienced in rebuilding tensions you won't have much trouble taking it apart and putting it back together but if you haven't ever done one you might want to pass. Whole tensions can be bought on line for less than having someone rebuild it for you. There is a set screw holding it in. So take out the set screws and pull the tension out. Then put in a new tension and set the screws. Then you will still need to adjust the top and bottom tension. BTW those are very nice machines when they are made to work. I sold the one I had and kind of had second thoughts. They are pretty high quality. It took a lot of clean up to make the one I had work smoothly. Once I got it to work I really liked the machine. That stitch selector reminds me of some of the old Bernina machines.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

Go online and try to get a book....Great looking machine...
Old 07-05-2014, 03:38 PM

Nice find.