My "new" 185J

Old 08-31-2014, 06:20 AM

Default My "new" 185J

I got what I thought was a good deal on a Singer 185J. She cleaned up beautifully and I couldn't wait to use her....there is where the trouble lies. I looked up the threading diagrams for this machine (no manual), and from what I can tell, is threaded correctly. It seems as though the bobbin thread doesn't want to pull the needle thread and stitch. When I took the bobbin cover off and watched, it appears to loop, but again, cannot get it to make stitches. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Is maybe the timing off? I forgot how to check for that....still a learning newbie after all. I can post pics just not sure what needs to be seen if pics are needed (just let me know). As always thanks for the invaluable advice!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:44 AM

Threading diagram
http://sewusa.com/Threading_Diagrams...ng_diagram.htm
manual
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...7d9fb8c05e.pdf
Old 08-31-2014, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Do not mess with the timing until you have tried all the other trouble shooting ideas people will give you. It is ssssssooooooooo not usually the timing.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:07 AM

Is the needle in the right way?
Old 08-31-2014, 10:45 AM

Read the manual, take the needle out and start fresh. Double check everything as you go, including making sure the bobbin is in correctly. Chances are you'll find the problem and it will start working. My understanding is your machine is a modernized 99. Neat little machine and on my very (too) large want list. I'm familiar with the 99s but am not sure how many changes were made going to your model.
Rodney
Old 08-31-2014, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Read the manual, take the needle out and start fresh. Double check everything as you go, including making sure the bobbin is in correctly. Chances are you'll find the problem and it will start working. My understanding is your machine is a modernized 99. Neat little machine and on my very (too) large want list. I'm familiar with the 99s but am not sure how many changes were made going to your model.
Rodney
Body changed - it has reverse - yup READ the manual
Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 AM

Ok, thanks to Crocee I have the manual, and I will go through it. I will redo everything to make sure it is being done correctly, and I'll verify I have the needle in correctly. I really want this little green gremlin to work, it's so cute and it cleaned up really nice! I'll have to post some before/after once I get her working.

Thank you guys for your suggestions! I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:50 AM

I was thinking maybe you put the needle in backwards, so therefore threading it backwards?????
Old 09-03-2014, 01:30 PM

She sews! SHE SEWS!!!!
I am sew happy! Thanks guys for all your help! After going over everything, I think (embarrassingly) I did have the needle in backwards.
The needle goes in a little tough (the correct way), so I must have flipped it last time. Ugh, I feel stupid, but I am VERY grateful that you all chimed in and helped me out. Seriously....thank you so much! Of course now I have to post my before and after pics....as soon as I'm done cleaning the case.