my NEW 1928 Singer 99.13

Old 01-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned

Default my NEW 1928 Singer 99.13

Got her from a friend that had no place for her and no real desire to fix her up, so she ask me to come and get her. I also got her grandmother's treadle, but have not unwrapped her yet!

This is a 99.13 from 1928.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]307404[/ATTACH]

So far I know she is missing TWO things and they are, the cardboard box her parts came in and her key. The holder for the attachment box is still in the lid as is the original Singer oil can!

Other than her booklet having the top page torn off, the book is even in great condition!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]307405[/ATTACH]
She needs a new belt, but her wiring has been redone. She has dust COWS,BUT I think she is more than capable of handling a SPA treatment and revitalization program!

Just need to find out what type of belt to get her! Would be nice to find a "service" manual!
Attached Thumbnails singer-99-1.jpg   singer-99-8.jpg  
Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 PM

Other than a very good wiping down with sewing machine oil or something like that, she looks in great shape. You do have the knee bar for her, don't you? Is it in the top of the case? There's a place there where it goes, I think, but I don't know just how. If so, can you show a picture of just how it fits in the top of the case? I also have a 1928 99-13 that I got in August. Do we have sisters? Mine is from the allotment of15,000 on Feb 1, 1928. It just had a few bobbins with it, and nothing else. I had to download an instruction book. I'd love to find an original one for it. You are just so lucky in that respect. I'd love to read that little book in front of the attachments that says 'The Perfect....' What a great friend you have to get your 99 and a treadle too! Congratulations!!!
Janis
Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't give her an all out dipping in kerosene spa treatment unless you are preparing to repaint that machine.... Muv's videos have enough fantastic advice to get this one in top working condition. Here is a link - if there is varnish on the bottom leave it - the varnish protects the machine. Simple oiling after cleaning off the herd of cows should get this one going just fine. I'm envious though. I like those little buggers. Anyway look here to find her videos - enjoy http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html
Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
Other than a very good wiping down with sewing machine oil or something like that, she looks in great shape. You do have the knee bar for her, don't you? Is it in the top of the case? There's a place there where it goes, I think, but I don't know just how. If so, can you show a picture of just how it fits in the top of the case? I also have a 1928 99-13 that I got in August. Do we have sisters? Mine is from the allotment of15,000 on Feb 1, 1928. It just had a few bobbins with it, and nothing else. I had to download an instruction book. I'd love to find an original one for it. You are just so lucky in that respect. I'd love to read that little book in front of the attachments that says 'The Perfect....' What a great friend you have to get your 99 and a treadle too! Congratulations!!!
Janis
YES.. the knee bar is there...however I took it out and have no idea how to get it back in there! I know I am super blessed that this one is so intact! I hope the motor is as good! I found the instruction book on ebay last night. Sorta spendy, but really worth it if you want to keep the machine true!
How did you find out the rest of the info on yours? All the singer site said was 1928!
Also what sort of belt does yours have? This had like a round rubber ring, but it is broken. I saw one on ebay that had a FLAT belt!? Not sure what to find for her!
Her wood is also in great shape. Hubby said just a good cleaning is all that needs as well!

I am hoping to play a bit with her tonight, but today is FULL of things to do!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:13 AM

Congrats! Hope you enjoy it!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 AM

Can't wait to see her all cleaned up. She looks like she will be a great machine. Love that she has a knee bar. Enjoy.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 AM

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...-database.html

This link is for the ISMACS site. It will give you the allotment dates and model numbers, etc.

http://www.sew-classic.com/

Check out Sew Classic for the belts you need.

Wonderful collection of goodies and an ORIGINAL oil can, awesome. Enjoy your new girls. I don't have a Singer 99, YET.

Last edited by Caroline S; 01-30-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 AM

Jacquie, if you go to this site, there is a complete repair manual for Singer 15, 66, 99 and 201 - http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/

Jacqui
Old 01-30-2012, 01:46 PM

what a good friend to gift you such lovely machines! This one looks like it won't take much to get her sparkling!

Joann
Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Alchemilla View Post
Jacquie, if you go to this site, there is a complete repair manual for Singer 15, 66, 99 and 201 - http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/

Jacqui
That is the most definitive repair manual I have seen. The photos are so helpful. Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words. I have printed it out in full for future reference. Thank you Jacqui.