Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 91

Thread: My new/old Vintage Pink Sewing Machine for $20

  1. #1
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    I saw this on CL a few days ago and just fell in love with it. It's supposed to be working, but it's too late to test it out. I'll post this in the Vintage Machine section too. I doubt I'll actually sew on it, but if it does work it will be a great machine to teach my 4 year old niece how to sew. She's very excited and went with me to pick it up. It came in a cabinet and I got it for $20. I think it's soooo cute:>
    Attached Images Attached Images









  2. #2
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    What a beautiful pink princess. So pretty.

  3. #3
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    Neat ... Hope they tell you good things in the other area ! have fun :thumbup:

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,406
    Cool - was that the original color? I like vintage machines.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I saw this on CL a few days ago and just fell in love with it. It's supposed to be working, but it's too late to test it out. I'll post this in the Vintage Machine section too. I doubt I'll actually sew on it, but if it does work it will be a great machine to teach my 4 year old niece how to sew. She's very excited and went with me to pick it up. It came in a cabinet and I got it for $20. I think it's soooo cute:>
    Oh does that not just scream Americana!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

    Yep I am in love again......My wife is going to kill me for running off with these machines. I am telling you if you want to snatch me away from her just dangle something like this in front of me and I am yours!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

    I do believe that this is a Morse and not just the motor. It has WAY to many features of the Morse company to not be one. Now comes the fun part....dating it.

    I need you to look under it and tell me if it has any JA or JC numbers stamped or cast into the bed. Also please take some photos of the underside for me so I can see if I can date some of the mechanics that way.

    I am telling you this, you did a wonderful job in getting this machine!!!

    Billy

  6. #6
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    She is purty!!! I would have fallen in love with her too :D:D:D

  7. #7
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    I so appreciate the help and definitely will need to buy some replacement belts etc. from you! Here's the pics you asked for. The undercarriage has a sticker on it, but there's a different # stamped in the body.
    Attached Images Attached Images




  8. #8
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Of course I'd get better shots with better lighting in the morning if need be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,668
    Blog Entries
    194
    awesome sewing machine have fun

  10. #10
    Senior Member JoAnnGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    822
    Billy, isn't this the same as the Morse on the cover of the 4500 manual that SherriB was offering you a few days ago? Here is the link for that one. The Princess is pink but may just be a variation on the same model. I am so jealous, Candace! These are very nice machines!

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52881-1.htm

  11. #11
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnGC
    Billy, isn't this the same as the Morse on the cover of the 4500 manual that SherriB was offering you a few days ago? Here is the link for that one. The Princess is pink but may just be a variation on the same model. I am so jealous, Candace! These are very nice machines!

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52881-1.htm
    That is the exact same machine and exact model, except mine is pink. I'm going to have to try to find this manual!! Billy if you have this manual, I'd happily pay for copying and mailing it to me. I think JoannGC has earned her merit badge:>

  12. #12
    Senior Member JoAnnGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnGC
    Billy, isn't this the same as the Morse on the cover of the 4500 manual that SherriB was offering you a few days ago? Here is the link for that one. The Princess is pink but may just be a variation on the same model. I am so jealous, Candace! These are very nice machines!

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52881-1.htm
    That is the exact same machine and exact model, except mine is pink. I'm going to have to try to find this manual!! Billy if you have this manual, I'd happily pay for copying and mailing it to me. I think JoannGC has earned her merit badge:>
    I really just love these pretty-colored, retro modern-looking machines. I'm currently working on a Viking 21 which is a very neat sage green machine with a removable extension table and it is enclosed in a pastel plaid fabric-lined case. It's been a bit tricky locating the right belts but I finally found them at Rick's Sewing Machine Repair in Bethlehem, PA, at a very reasonable price. He's also trying to find extra cams for it. I was able to get the service manual from the moderator of the Yahoo group for Viking pre-1980 vintage machines and found the owner's manual online. I think part of the fun is researching and conducting the scavenger hunts and I am very eager to get this one working. Good luck with yours and have fun with it!

  13. #13
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    I hope Billy can hook me up with the belt (falling apart) and maybe the link to the cleaning tute. I may have to also spring for some correct lubricant. But, this princess needs to be loved and used. My niece is quite the princess and has already laid claim to the machine. Of course she may spend 10 mins. with it and decide she'd rather watch High School Musical again:<

  14. #14
    Senior Member Maksi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    744
    Thats a nice pink lady. Congrats!

  15. #15
    Senior Member sewhappy57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Anchorage,Alaska
    Posts
    756
    WOW score! :thumbup:
    She's a real beauty!

  16. #16
    mlaceruby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Somerset PA
    Posts
    901
    I love these old machines too!
    This one is really pretty! I have never seen a pink machine!
    have seen the green but not pink
    I have way to many to sew on them all but isnt it fun to research them and get them going again
    I go to auction and cant bear to leave one sit when they sell for almost nothing!

  17. #17
    Super Member beachlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,753
    Pink machine for a Princess!!!

  18. #18
    Super Member quiltinghere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Longarm Quilter NW Indiana
    Posts
    3,489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ohhhhh that's sooooo PINK! I love it

    Get it fixed up and use it so you can enjoy it. Even if you have to put it in another room to sew on it.

  19. #19
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,046
    WOW, what a pretty machine!!!!!!!! Love the pink!

  20. #20
    Super Member quilt addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,669
    Candace congratulations on your score! I really love the pretty colors of the mid century. What a fitting machine for your "little princess" to learn on.

  21. #21
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    What a cool machine!! Congratulations, Candace!! :D:D

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnGC
    Billy, isn't this the same as the Morse on the cover of the 4500 manual that SherriB was offering you a few days ago? Here is the link for that one. The Princess is pink but may just be a variation on the same model. I am so jealous, Candace! These are very nice machines!

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52881-1.htm
    You caught that one too huh? I had not looked at the photo of the manual but I think you nailed it!!! I will see when it arrives this week ;)

    Billy

  23. #23
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Ohhhhh that's sooooo PINK! I love it

    Get it fixed up and use it so you can enjoy it. Even if you have to put it in another room to sew on it.
    After I figure out how to properly clean it I think the cabinet will fit upstairs in a wee spot near the piano. The cabinet it's in is also from the 50's but isn't in great shape. It's not realy wood, but pressboard and has quite a few dings. Maybe I can find a wood stick to somewhat disguise any marks. The lady selling it said, "the cabinet is kind of banged up." I told her, "Well, I expect it will get even more banged up if a 4 year old gets a hold of it."

    I'll have to spend some time today going through the vintage machine thread/area to see how I should go about cleaning it and what products to use. I'm excited about it!

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    I so appreciate the help and definitely will need to buy some replacement belts etc. from you! Here's the pics you asked for. The undercarriage has a sticker on it, but there's a different # stamped in the body.
    Well this is definitely a Morse machine according to my records. Morse and Universal shared the same casting number but the JA# is Morse.

    Now I am going to have to wait for the manual to show up and see about what year it is....I will scan it for you and mail it to you when I get it, that way you can have a manual for it!!

    Billy

  25. #25
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    That would be awesome, Billy. You can e-mail me the scan if you want. It's nice to know some history and the manufacturer of it. At least it's a name I recognize:>

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.