Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My "new" White should be here today! >

My "new" White should be here today!

My "new" White should be here today!

Old 08-02-2014, 04:45 AM

Default My "new" White should be here today!

Tracking says it's on the FedEx truck from Sioux Falls for delivery. They usually show up by 10 am. Ours gets put on the truck for Mitchell, and since we're 12 miles east, I get my stuff first!

This should be the model of the machine my Mom had when I was learning to sew. We also had the old Singer 201 that us kids (all 11) had to learn on, and when we got good enough, then we might be allowed to use the newer machine (its had cams for fancy stitches).

I know I sewed on that machine, but I couldn't recall it at all - but I found a note card in with my Mom's sewing stuff that listed the model number, needle size and a few other items, along with finding a lot of White marked needles and class 15 bobbins, which this machine takes.

I showed pictures to my older sisters that also sewed quite a bit, and they said it looked familiar, but no one could say "yes, that is for sure it!" My mom used that machine to make a lot of clothing for us kids when we were growing up.

This machine comes serviced, with all the accessories. I'm looking forward to sewing on it to see if that brings back any memories.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:59 AM

for fun - this is from Christmas 1972. I'm modeling the clothing I got for Christmas that my Mom made.

of course back then, her machine would not have been considered "vintage" LOL!!

I sure don't miss the styles from the early 70's.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:44 AM

I hope you get it in good shape, and that it turns out to be like the one your Mother had.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-02-2014, 06:07 AM

Love the photo Cathy! I wish I still had the pattern from my favorite bell bottom pants - they had something like a 30" bell and were made from navy duck with white polka dots! I remember there was a seam down the front and back of each leg to get the extra flare LOL
Old 08-02-2014, 06:14 AM

Oh - bell bottoms! what I remember most about them is trying to get them out of the bike chain. I have a nice set of "bicycle clips" I use on my quilt frame. Wish I would have had some of them way back to put on my legs to keep the darn pants out of the chain!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:48 AM

Yep, I used bicycle clips for my flares! After I posted about the bell bottoms, I googled and found a wiki site with lots of old bell bottom patterns, but didn't find mine...
Old 08-02-2014, 07:51 AM

Great smile! Can't wait to see the new machine.
Rodney
Old 08-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Here is the newest addition

and where the cams go

DH got excited about while looking it over - it has the same mechanism as the Singer 237. The shuttle hook assembly moves left/right along with the needle

Left needle position

and right.

This is one heavy machine! I'm going to look for a White cabinet to put her in. I "sort of" have an idea what the one my Mom had was like. I'm also very close to sure that the machine from the attic was the original occupant of the cabinet that I remember.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:26 PM

awesome! glad you got it! I need to clean the machine my mom had though I don't remember her sewing on it past 1st or 2nd grade but it's still sentimental. think it's the 237 - says fashion mate. it has oil looking gunk on the bottom just haven't had time to go over how to clean videos on youtube and get started LOL!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:59 PM

did you get the cams too? what do they look like?