Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: In my possession all these years! Singer 99K

I'm been quilting about a year now. I've been reading all the posts about great finds in vintage sewing machines and thinking that would be fun to have. Suddenly it dawned on me (duh!) that my MIL's old Singer machine is out at my son's house and not being used for many years. She's been gone since 1985. So I asked him to bring it to me to check out and found this Singer sewing machine, 99K, EL 429080. It seems to be in good condition (I cleaned and oiled it this morning) and it sews well. She left notes about her possessions and she calls it a 3/4 head. It's not very heavy but maybe a little bigger than Featherweight? Can anyone tell me about this machine and what year it was made? Does anyone use all the attachments (picture #3)? They're interesting! It also has the original manual. I'm glad my mind finally clicked (thanks to posts I've been reading) but I do feel a little foolish for not thinking of it sooner!! :oops:

Attachments w/machine
    Name:  Attachment-238543.jpe
Views: 389
Size:  48.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I maybe wrong but what I found was
    built in 1956 in Clydebank, Scotland

Blog Entries
    Nice! If you look toward the back of the manual there may be explanations of the attachments and how to use them. Some of my manuals have this--I don't have a 99K though.

Blog Entries
    http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers
    Info here:)

99K 50,000 made May 22, 1956

This is a beautiful machine. Would like to have one like it or a Featherweight. Enjoy! Love my Bernina but like the vintage machines also.

Beauty.

There is just something about those old black and gold machines. Maybe it is because so many of us remember old aunts, grandmas, etc sewing on them.

Congrats! I happened upon one myself this spring. I was so happy to get it. Billy just cleaned it for me since I didn't know about the person that had it before me, he said she took good care of it so I really didn't need to send it to him but she got a good cleaning. I really like mine, you have more attachments but very sweet!

That's great that you were able to bring it home and enjoy!!

Thank you all for your information and comments. My husband guessed his mother got it in the 40's so 1956 was a surprise.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    That's a beauty!!!!!!! Have fun :D

I have my grandmothers 3/4 99 which is in a cabinet Manufactured in Great Britain which is in gold on the top of the machine...She was born in 1949...great machine...

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    I have my grandmothers 3/4 99 which is in a cabinet Manufactured in Great Britain which is in gold on the top of the machine...She was born in 1949...great machine...
    That's just fantastic. I hope it can stay in your family for many generations. I had given it to my son not even knowing what it was but he wasn't using it (he had thought he might use it for light mending but he's not really a sewer), so now it's back! O.K. with me now that I will probably use.

Banned
    You have the darning plate!! That means you can FMQ on the machine if you so desire!! Also it is in a cabinet and they are worth just as much as the machine is.

Congratulations on such a wonderful piece of history!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    Billy, she not only has the darning plate, she's got the darning "foot" to go with it! That's what the spring thingie is! :)

And yes! I use my attachments...I love the darned things! :)

Banned
    Yeah Charlee I found out I have a couple of the darning feet here in some of the boxes of stuff out in the garage. I really need to go through all of it but that was in a box next to my industrial.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Billy, she not only has the darning plate, she's got the darning "foot" to go with it! That's what the spring thingie is! :)

Billy and Charlee, how fun to hear of these attachments. I may try to study them (they are in the manual I have) and play with them. I looked for the darning foot but didn't think I saw one with the other attachments. I guess I'll look again! You both saw them so I'm excited. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyd
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee

Billy and Charlee, how fun to hear of these attachments. I may try to study them (they are in the manual I have) and play with them. I looked for the darning foot but didn't think I saw one with the other attachments. I guess I'll look again! You both saw them so I'm excited. :thumbup:
    Miswrote. I meant I didn't see the darning plate. There is one kind of round, flat plate but I couldn't see how it attached. Maybe that was it.

how fun to hear of these attachments. I may try to study them (they are in the manual I have) and play with them.
    Wow, it's great that you remembered about this 99! I highly recommend this book, to learn how to use your attachments:

http://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Machine...pr_product_top

I have it and it has wonderful color pictures and great instructions for using the attachments. Sometimes the pictures in the manuals are difficult to read.

Banned
    They have a free one on the Smithsonian website if you want to look at it. Here is the link for you.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect.../NMAHTEX/0203/

Billy

Glad you remembered that machine! She's a beauty! :)

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    how fun to hear of these attachments. I may try to study them (they are in the manual I have) and play with them.
    Wow, it's great that you remembered about this 99! I highly recommend this book, to learn how to use your attachments:

http://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Machine...pr_product_top

I have it and it has wonderful color pictures and great instructions for using the attachments. Sometimes the pictures in the manuals are difficult to read.
    Thanks so much. I plan to order it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    They have a free one on the Smithsonian website if you want to look at it. Here is the link for you.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect.../NMAHTEX/0203/

Billy
    That is great. I've figured out the darning plate but can't figure out what the darning foot is. I don't see it in the manual either. I must be missing something! I'm saving this website to refer to it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    how wonderful..for you and the machine..a piece of family history so well loved and cared for continueing on to make wonderful things for the family...WOOHHOOO

Blog Entries
    How lucky you are to have such a treasure :D:D:D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast