Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Sewing Machine Addiction Is Out Of Control >

My Sewing Machine Addiction Is Out Of Control

My Sewing Machine Addiction Is Out Of Control

Old 08-09-2014, 03:08 PM

Default My Sewing Machine Addiction Is Out Of Control

I had promised myself that I simply would not buy another sewing machine and I had full intentions to doing just that because we have had many, many other expenses that needed our funds. But we stopped by a very close to us estate sale and I spotted this machine. I knew it was a 201 and it was in kind of rough condition with several places where the paint had chipped off and I was just tired of cleaning up machines for awhile. But I really wanted the Dome Shaped case that the machine was in so I focused my attention on it. The asking price was $110 and in my opinion way, way too much. The manager of the sale said they were taking bids so I told him I was going to bid it way low because there was no key to lock the case thus making it unable to be carried around, although who would do that because of its heavy weight. Also there was no way to get the cover off the end of the box to see what was in it. Anyway, I bid $25 on the first day of the sale. We went back to the sale about 15 minutes before it was closing and the machine was still there so he sold it to me for $25. Now that I have it home I have discovered some things about this machine that I am not familiar with. Of course the first thing I noticed, there was no foot pedal. No problem as I had two extras. Then when we finally figured out how to get the cover off the end of the machine base, here is a motor lying flat in the box and a mechanism at the end of the box. My DH finally figured out that by pushing on the lever from the round hole in the side of the box that the lever moved and he figured that was what gave the machine power. We plugged it in and sure enough it ran so quietly and smoothly. Now I am at a loss for how you work this because obviously you cannot sit there with a screwdriver pushing in on the lever to get it to run. Also on the back of the machine there appears to be a small black box which I thought was the motor. There is a hole in the top of it with a small copper spring coil being exposed. Also the connection for the electrical plug looks pretty much like a normal plug with a foot pedal attached on one side and the electrical plug on the other but of course there is no foot pedal plug on it. There are three prongs where the electrical plug needs to be inserted. So, my question is this. Of course I would like to know how singer intended for this machine to be used with no foot pedal and whether or not a foot pedal can be attached to it and if so how does one go about doing that. Here are some pictures of the machine as I brought it home. The serial number indicates this machine was made on December 20, 1938. Also I haven't determined why just yet the bobbin winder will not stay pushed down for winding a bobbin.
Attached Thumbnails singer-dome-case-front-view.jpg   back-machine-shows-motor-box.jpg   motor-box.jpg   motor-box-cover.jpg   lever-runs-machine.jpg  

hole-motor-box-back.jpg   hole-box-run-motor.jpg   electrical-connection.jpg   dome-cover.jpg   inside-dome-cover.jpg  

Old 08-09-2014, 05:27 PM

There should have been a knee bar up in the dome of that case. You insert it into the hole in the front and power the machine with your knee. My Rocketeer is in a cabinet and the foot pedal hangs inside the cabinet. The knee bar presses the foot pedal, so you can sew either way. I put together two quilt tops with that machine and found that I really love the knee bar. I just checked ebay and it looks like you can get the bar there if you don't have it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sing...item3a95379e01

Enjoy your new machine.

Darren
Old 08-09-2014, 06:04 PM

my 127 has that kneebar hole too. I converted it back to a handcrank, so lucky me, no need to look for the bar
Singer was so ahead of the pack on so many different levels.

The machine sure is pretty!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:08 PM

You scored at $25. A great machine and a bentwood case! It's worth the extra money to round up the knee bar. Sew-classic.com has foot controllers and plugs to fit the 3 prong plug on the end of the machine if you prefer a foot controller instead. I'd keep the knee controller intact even if I went that route though.

I understand completely about buying sewing machines and financial necessities. It would have to be very special and very cheap for me to get any more right now.
Rodney
Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 PM

Sell the bentwood case on ebay and buy a Singer cabinet and the other odds and ends with the proceeds with quite a bit left over. That sucker is too heavy for the case.

Jon
Old 08-10-2014, 03:25 AM

This looks to take the newer style knee bar - when you look into the hole, is there a slot the end of the bar would slip into? There are two styles and this one is easier and cheaper to get.

Your machine will work fine if you disconnect the wires to the controler in the case, and use a double end plug on it. And a new foot pedal/cord plug set may be cheaper than the knee pedal, and for sure way easier to find. Otherised you need the single cord plug that only goes into the wall outlet.

BTW - if you decide to go that route (double cord plug) I'd love to buy the controller that is in the case. I have a case and knee bar, but the controller was busted up and non -functioning.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
There should have been a knee bar up in the dome of that case. You insert it into the hole in the front and power the machine with your knee. My Rocketeer is in a cabinet and the foot pedal hangs inside the cabinet. The knee bar presses the foot pedal, so you can sew either way. I put together two quilt tops with that machine and found that I really love the knee bar. I just checked ebay and it looks like you can get the bar there if you don't have it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sing...item3a95379e01

Enjoy your new machine.

Darren

This is probably the WRONG bar for this case - this is the older style and clips on a round peg. It's normally visible from the exterior of the case, and I don't see it on yours. This is the style offered before 1929.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:56 AM

this is what the hole for a case that takes the round end knee bar looks like. If you see a case where you see "Nothing" than either it takes the slot style bar, or the controller is missing.

Here are the two style ends - Singer changed to the Slot style around 1929 when they went to the bakelight plug in housing at the back of the machine to supply power. The round style bar is what came with the older style electrical with the male/female ends that plugged into the controller unit to supply power - and the machine was hardwired into the case.

BTW - this particular round end knee bar is a different shape because it's made for a very specific cabinet -and not to go in a case - otherwise the overall shape of the bars is identical and only the end is different.

I learned all this the hard way - spent $40 to get a knee bar only to find there were two styles of them, and I bought the wrong one!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:27 AM

wow,lucky you-nice find
Old 08-10-2014, 05:35 AM

I have one exactly like this and I have no key either for the box and I don't have the knee bar either.