Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Singer With Beginning Serial #JC >

My Singer With Beginning Serial #JC

My Singer With Beginning Serial #JC

Old 02-21-2014, 03:25 PM

Default My Singer With Beginning Serial #JC

Yesterday I wrote a post asking if anyone knew about a Singer with a Serial # Beginning with JC. Well, thank you all for you info. Today I went back to the estate sale and the machine was still there. We did a closer inspection and found that the machine needed a lot of work and new electrical wiring. The price on the machine was $85. Actually, I was most interested in the Dome Wooden Case. I talked to the manager of the estate sale and asked if I could put in a very low bid because I just wanted the case. Here in the KC area, the price for estate sale items goes to 50% off on the last day of the sale at noon. Since I told him I would not even pay the 50% price but wondered if I could put in a much lower bid and if the item didn't sell at the 50% off price could I buy it. He went with me to look at the machine and I showed him the electrical problems and all of the work and extra costs that would be involved, so he said how about $25 today. Well, I figured the case was worth that even if we couldn't get the machine to work so we purchased it. The machine appears to be the same size as the 99K or the Spartan. It really is a very cute little machine and the face plate and back plate have a beautiful floral/leaf design. Here are some pictures I took while my DH was taking it apart for repair and cleaning. It was so very dry and I am sure had no grease either. I am hoping we can rewire the motor and replace the cords to the pedal and light.
Attached Thumbnails dome-case-singer-%2425-resized.jpg   cord-light-well-foot-pedal-needs-replaced-resized.jpg   all-electric-cords-need-replacing-resized.jpg   down-bare-metal-i-believe-resized.jpg   singer-serial-jc805330-resized.jpg  

thread-wound-around-belt-drive.jpg   very-dirty-lint-filled-bobbin-area-resized.jpg   wiring-motor-light-badly-need-replacing-resized.jpg   singer-small-one-about-size-99k-spartan-resized-.jpg  
Old 02-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Banned

Nice! That seems to be a typical "as-found" condition. It should clean up great.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:17 PM

Blackberry,

Unfortunately this case won't fit the 99 or Spartan. The bottom is not deep enough. The undersides for the 99 and Spartans are deeper than the 28s and 128s.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
Yesterday I wrote a post asking if anyone knew about a Singer with a Serial # Beginning with JC. Well, thank you all for you info. Today I went back to the estate sale and the machine was still there. We did a closer inspection and found that the machine needed a lot of work and new electrical wiring. The price on the machine was $85. Actually, I was most interested in the Dome Wooden Case. I talked to the manager of the estate sale and asked if I could put in a very low bid because I just wanted the case. Here in the KC area, the price for estate sale items goes to 50% off on the last day of the sale at noon. Since I told him I would not even pay the 50% price but wondered if I could put in a much lower bid and if the item didn't sell at the 50% off price could I buy it. He went with me to look at the machine and I showed him the electrical problems and all of the work and extra costs that would be involved, so he said how about $25 today. Well, I figured the case was worth that even if we couldn't get the machine to work so we purchased it. The machine appears to be the same size as the 99K or the Spartan. It really is a very cute little machine and the face plate and back plate have a beautiful floral/leaf design. Here are some pictures I took while my DH was taking it apart for repair and cleaning. It was so very dry and I am sure had no grease either. I am hoping we can rewire the motor and replace the cords to the pedal and light.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:21 PM
KLO

What a great buy! I have a 99K with the round bobbin in a similar box. And look ..... you even got the key with it. How great is that! You can see why people tie them on a shoelace (or whatever!) and then tie it to the lid. They can get lost so easily. I found an old luggage key that worked for mine thankfully. Once it's cleaned up and rewired (yikes on that wiring!), you will be glad you got it.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Blackberry,

Unfortunately this case won't fit the 99 or Spartan. The bottom is not deep enough. The undersides for the 99 and Spartans are deeper than the 28s and 128s.

Cathy
So is this a 28 or a 128
Old 02-21-2014, 04:39 PM

This cutie is a 128. It should clean up nicely.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
So is this a 28 or a 128
Old 02-21-2014, 05:05 PM

I would put a handcrank on that one. Very nice.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

I love making those work. Look at Muv's videos for lots of info how to make it sew. Glenn has good info for fixing the finish. You will have a lot of fun sewing on that machine.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:52 AM

This machine is well worth saving. Mine was full of jammed threads, just like that. Got over 10 yards of black thread from the flywheel of all places. Just take your time. Use top quality sewing machine oil and grease. Polish away. Oh yes, you can buy parts and needed supplies from Sew-Classic.com in Ohio. Jenny is very helpful and she has most parts which they ship fast. It I a very pretty machine. I procured long bobbins on line also. Prefer the new ones because of the rust on older ones. Round cases sell for over $40 for ones in such nice shape. You did very well and saved an old soldier
Old 02-24-2014, 04:50 PM

Don't worry about the wiring. It's pretty simple to replace. Sew-Classic has wiring kits too if you're not comfortable replacing the bad wires yourself.
A very nice find IMO. I would fix it up and keep looking for a case. It would be a shame to separate the machine and case on this one.
Rodney