My vintage '49 rotary Kenmore

Old 03-19-2015, 03:56 PM

Default My vintage '49 rotary Kenmore

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514175[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514176[/ATTACH]Hello my fellow Vintage Enthusiasts! Sorry I've been absent for awhile, I have a crazy work schedule. But as promised here is my Sweet, Rockin' 1949 Rotary Kenmore!! I'm so happy, my hubby and I found an elderly gentleman who collects, restores and sells vintage machines and cabinets, which is where I found my great cabinet, looks just like the one my Mom had years ago except for the details in the door, I happened to have new drawer pulls I bought a few years ago (for what I don't know) but they look great on the cabinet! My hubby got everything installed and ready to go.....and Big thanks goes out to everyone who helped me troubleshoot a few problems! A special thanks to you Joe, your help was priceless! I can't wait to get started! You can see I'll have help, my 15yr old boy, Puckett has to be in the middle of everything!
Cheers & Happy Sewing!
Sunny
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 03-19-2015, 04:03 PM

Beautiful machine, cabinet, and kitty cat. I just sold my 959 so it's good to see pictures like these. You've done very well!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
Beautiful machine, cabinet, and kitty cat. I just sold my 959 so it's good to see pictures like these. You've done very well!
Thanks! I'm sure my Mom is smiling, she made some AMAZING clothes for me! I did get all of the attachments and I don't have a clue how many of them should be properly used, my Mom didn't have any of them except the buttonhole attachment, she did gathers, ruffles, lace, binding, and more...all by hand....still boggles my mind, the attachments are shear (LOL) genius, especially for the time, little mechanical machines in themselves! Sorry, I could go on and on!
I've watched some YouTube videos but those are mostly all Singers, I know they're similar, would love to see more Kenmore tho!!
Ok, I'm done rambling!
Cheers & Sewing is Good for the Heart!!
Sunny��
Old 03-19-2015, 05:00 PM

That is also a classy cabinet. And cat. How do they always know to sit on top of the sewing machine even when the machine is hidden in the cabinet?

Attachments are fun! Since that is a machine made by White we can get a manual for White off of the Singer website (not sure why, but there they are) with instructions for the attachments. The White 77 manual should work.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:22 AM

Wow, Singer website? Never would've thought of that, thanks! I'll definitely check that out, found a couple on eBay but will see what Singer offers!
And yes, the kitties love to lay on stuff you pay attention to, Puckett's little brother Kirby is the same (6 mos younger!) They love it when I open the top then there's enough room for both of them!
Old 03-20-2015, 03:32 AM

the machine and cabinet is beautiful, and so is Mr Kitty. he is the boss no doubt. Enjoy your new machine.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:10 AM

Woohoo! Congrats!! I have one of these too, (named Judy) and I keep her set up all the time. It's such a strange looking machine, but oddly endearing too. Sure doesn't mind working though, I just finished hemming some jeans and sewing some pockets back on with mine and she marched right through the layers of denim without a hitch. I think you will enjoy sewing on yours very much!

Mine lives right by my front door and I notice that people seem drawn to touching her. Nobody touches the modern machine right next to her, they want to touch that brown crinkly coat. I think a lot of people have never seen anything like it!
Old 03-20-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Woohoo! Congrats!! I have one of these too, (named Judy) and I keep her set up all the time. It's such a strange looking machine, but oddly endearing too. Sure doesn't mind working though, I just finished hemming some jeans and sewing some pockets back on with mine and she marched right through the layers of denim without a hitch. I think you will enjoy sewing on yours very much!

Mine lives right by my front door and I notice that people seem drawn to touching her. Nobody touches the modern machine right next to her, they want to touch that brown crinkly coat. I think a lot of people have never seen anything like it!
Thanks so much! She is an old familiar friend....it's the model my Mom taught me to sew on, she's no longer with us but for me she is, since I got this wonderful machine it's brought back so many little things she said to me...it's truly a joyful comfort!
Old 03-21-2015, 04:31 AM

That's so cool - I hope to someday own my grandmother's machine, the one I learned to sew on, but until that day comes I have bought a duplicate of it too. I haven't seen her machine in at least 25 years, but I remember it so clearly I was able to pick it out from a Google image search and figure out the model number. I spent SO many happy hours with that machine as a girl.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:42 AM

I completely understand, I only knew that my Mom's was an old Kenmore, had to research to find the model. From the first picture I found I could remember exactly how it felt and how everything worked, even the smell of the motor! Awesome memories!!!